Business leaders reassured Pattaya will have enough water, despite drought

Rimmer

Business leaders reassured Pattaya will have enough water, despite drought

PATTAYA:--Regional water-management officials reassured Pattaya business leaders the city is not facing any sort of shortage, despite the nationwide drought.

Speaking at the July 8 Pattaya Business & Tourism Association meeting at the Grand Sole Hotel, Boonsom Yutidhampinyo, head of water management and irrigation system improvement for the Royal Irrigation Department, explained that the raw water supply remains sufficient for Pattaya’s needs.

Pattaya, he said, gets its water from three main sources with five reservoirs: Nong Klang Dong, Huay Sapan, Khunjit, Mabprachan, and Chak Nok.

Currently those lakes have 16.2 million cubic meters of water, about 40 percent of their 39.9 million cu. meters of capacity.

Mabprachan has 4.2 million cu meters, and Chak Nok has 1. 3 million cu. meters.

If necessary, Boonsom said, 200,000 cu. meters of additional water can be brought from the Nong Plalai reservoir in Rayong and Prasae reservoir in Chanthaburi.

He said, therefore, that the city has more than enough water to last through to the high point of the rainy season in October.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/business-leaders-reassured-pattaya-will-have-enough-water-despite-drought-49009#sthash.BEqgLvOw.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-07-17 footer_n.gif

Has he bothered to look at Mabprachan and Chak Nok lately? They are so empty it almost makes you want to cry. I'm seriously sceptical about this man's claims. In fact, I'm filling up the empty spaces in my house with bottled water - well, not quite as dramatic as that, but certainly laying in supplies for the duration.

We've had water shortages before. I wonder about all those big condo projects with "EIA approved" splashed out in front. Does any of that assessment include impact on water supply? Traffic? I really doubt it. Only impacts a few wallets I would guess. Plus side is that market is so tanked that most of them will remain empty so not a drain on what water supply there happens to be...

my 2 satang : scare mongering to up the price

so in all thailand, specially near the sea : not one desalination station...

z

Desalination is very expensive to run and install and I doubt there are enough machines available in the world at short notice to buy. Not to mention pipelines and pumping facilities