CTH cutting back service

Bangkok Barry

I have been told by CTH that they are introducing a new package next month - if they manage to fix an unspecified problem - which it appears will considerably reduce its appeal to us foreigners. On a personal level, apart from the Premier League I mostly watch Sky News as I find it better now than the BBC and CNN.

That is going, and the ONLY news service in English will be Fox News, which isn't really news at all. I was told that there will otherwise be NO channels in English, which I imagine will include the footy and will mean that the pre-match, half-time and post match and week-long PL coverage in English on channel Stadium 6 will go. I'm guessing on that. A fore-runner was the recent Wimbledon Centre Court coverage, which had no English language commentary at all, only the sound.

Another interesting factor is that my local CTH agent has cut ties with the company as it owed them 100,000 baht which they were unable to pay. Now they are cutting back on the service. Seems to me like the company bankrupted itself by signing up for the Premier League and perhaps it won't be around much longer.

I discovered this only by requesting a second box to use with my second tv which up to now has been used for True Visions. I was going to replace that with CTH on both sets, but they told me they couldn't supply a second box - even though their website says they can and details the charges.

Nothing would surprise me with that company. I cancelled my subscription over a year ago and have still not had my deposit returned.....it took them 6 months to come and collect the set top box!

Quote Bangkok Barry "A fore-runner was the recent Wimbledon Centre Court coverage, which had no English language commentary at all, only the sound."

Although the English commentary was included on the replay (Fox Sport 1) and English commentary for the matches shown on Fox Sport 2. It is also happening with the Open Golf on this week - just sound track but no commentary in English. What is really going on? Seems like they are replaciong the English commentary with Thai but I don't see why we have to lose the English. Its there so why don't they play that too? I sincerely hope they do not mess with the 6 HD channels for the BPL starting next month. Interesting to hear they are chopping Sky News soon.

Edited by Nomad97

CTH told my wife we cannot pay annual subscription any more, only monthly. It looks like it's time to bail out. I only watch EPL/Sky. How can I replace CTH. I have TOT 20 mps fibre optic cable. Could any one advise? I am not technical. My router is 50 feet from my TV. Is there a box I could buy that stores Internet programmes? Is there a service I could subscribe to? I have heard about stuff like Kodi but don't know what that would involve.

Help would be much appreciated but use short simple words please.

CTH told my wife we cannot pay annual subscription any more, only monthly. It looks like it's time to bail out. I only watch EPL/Sky. How can I replace CTH. I have TOT 20 mps fibre optic cable. Could any one advise? I am not technical. My router is 50 feet from my TV. Is there a box I could buy that stores Internet programmes? Is there a service I could subscribe to? I have heard about stuff like Kodi but don't know what that would involve.

Seriously consider "iLikeHD".

They have recently upgraded their streaming service. With your 20 m.bits/sec connection it should run faultlessly..

You can run it on your PC, a Smart TV or via an Android Box easily (one at a time, not simultaneously). They have applications for PC, Tablet and Smart TV, so you are not talking about the same complicated set up as Kodi.

You can start by joining for free, installing their App. and viewing all Thai channels for free to check out their system.

For all UK TV channels and all English sports channels I pay 550 baht per month.

They have recently upgraded their streaming service. With your 20 m.bits/sec connection it should run faultlessly..

You can run it on your PC, a Smart TV or via an Android Box easily (one at a time, not simultaneously). They have applications for PC, Tablet and Smart TV, so you are not talking about the same complicated set up as Kodi.

You can start by joining for free, installing their App. and viewing all Thai channels for free to check out their system.

For all UK TV channels and all English sports channels I pay 550 baht per month.

Set up a regular Paypal payment and it costs 490 Baht.thumbsup.gif

I don't know of any (legal) way to get all of the BPL matches in English other than through CTH, although matches are available with a Sun box that cost my niece 1500 baht. She then pays monthly through 7-11 - she thinks it is 399 a month - and then she can receive all the matches shown on Stadium 1-5. However, she access through a TrueVisions satellite dish, which her husband moved/adjusted to receive the signal, I assume then losing TrueVisions channels. I'm going to the house later to check that, and to see if there is an option to receive English, and will get back to update. Of course, if CTH kill the English commentary next month that is irrelevant.

I was told by a very helpful girl at CTH that the company is concentrating on providing sport, so perhaps they'll leave the footy as it is. I'll be really pissed off if we lose Stadium 6 with all the analysis and are only left with the three goons sitting in a row talking in a monotone in Thai. I can just about manage without the match commentary. Maybe we'll have no choice. Why no English commentary from the golf or Wimbledon centre court? I guess CTH has to pay for it and can't afford it. Maybe it'll be the same with the BPL.

As for getting news in English, there is a website - filmon.com - that streams all the BBC and ITV UK channels (not BBC World but including BBC News, a 24-hour service) as well as many other channels including the excellent Al Jazeera. It is free in SD with ads, or $15 a month in HD and ad-free. I've tried the free version, accessed through a spare laptop and fed via an HDMI cable to the tv. and it works well with the decent internet connection I have. I'll probably pay now for the HD version. Certainly cheaper than TrueVisions if you want their package that includes BBC and CNN.

What a shambles CTH has been from day 1 when in Bangkok they were sending installers out in taxis with a dish poking out the back of the boot.

We never paid a year up front fearing they wouldn't last long so its cost us money and now the time has come to seek alternatives.

Some big names put money into this venture but they never hired anyone with marketing or technical knowledge.

Don't know about others but SKY News often goes off air with the picture freezing even in cloudless conditions.

So I guess a bit of wait and see and appreciate you guys, with technical knowledge, comments.

Good luck if you want your deposit back,have friend who has given up after dozens of phone calls and 6 mths gone by

I used to have CTH up until the end of last BPL season, took me 2 months to get my deposit back and numerous faxes to their offices. I had heard through a guy in Bangkok that Truevisions were after showing the BPL again, and this was ratified by an item in the Bangkok Post in June stating this fact. So I guess next year it will be back to everyones friendly Truevisions tv

They have applications for PC, Tablet and Smart TV,

I cannot find any reference on their web site that they have a Smart TV app? Which brand of TV/Smart TV system? My Samsung Smart Hub doesn't list it. Do you mean Android?

I would like iLike HD as well on my LG smart tv, or do you have to stream it in via a PC? Anyone using this now. What is the quality like or is it constantly buffering like most internet services.

Go to :-

http://knd1.ilikehd.com/kaneda/web/login/index.php#

or

https://www.facebook.com/ilikehdth

and sign up for an account. They have 3 app's, PC, Mobile/Tablet/Android box and Smart TV. You can select which you want to use.

You can access Thai TV channels free to check out the system.

To subscribe, you purchase points by PayPal, Credit Card, Bank Card or True Money.

You can also download the Android App from Play Store.

I am using the system now. I've been watching the Ashes Test all evening.

They have just invested in new equipment and streaming better than anything I have tried before. I have 3BB 11 M.bits/sec connection and very occasionally have buffering problems when my connection bandwidth drops below 5 M.bits. But generally it is seamless

I use my laptop for subscribing but use wireless connection for my Samsung Smart TV, and my Android box to watch on my old Samsung TV. Once you have an account, you can login on your Samsung Smart Hub or an Android box.

^^

I cannot see any reference on the 4 links in above 2 posts above about what Smart TV system has an app for iLikeHD+?

Ok finally got it figured, after I was able to transfer my iLikeHD account from ver3.5 to ver 4. The Smart TV app referred to is just viewed via a web browser.

* One annoyance is since I was transferred to ver 4 today I now have ZERO points? They haven't answered me why. If I don't get them back I won't carry on with them.

^^

I cannot see any reference on the 4 links in above 2 posts above about what Smart TV system has an app for iLikeHD+?

Ok finally got it figured, after I was able to transfer my iLikeHD account from ver3.5 to ver 4. The Smart TV app referred to is just viewed via a web browser.

* One annoyance is since I was transferred to ver 4 today I now have ZERO points? They haven't answered me why. If I don't get them back I won't carry on with them.

If you message them via Facebook, you generally get a quick reply. (I haven't had a reply from the message link in the app) https://www.facebook.com/ilikehdth

or

[email protected] (I think)

Edited by rawhod

Yes. finally got the points transferred over from ver3.5 to ver4 of iLikeHD after a few hours. Looks like a good service esp for live sports, but I will probably only buy by the 2 hours for live events if streams are not coming free over internet elsewhere clearly.

I just got AIS internet 30 MB and included with it FREE Android box called AIS playbox. The channels including 1-5 Stadium CTH channels, all the GMM sports channel. So basically im getting FREE EPL matches legally for 1300 Bht which also includes internet.

• 1 month later...

I called CTH customer services to see how to get Eurosport and the GMM sports channels which are there on Vinasat, but encrypted with the package I have. The lady said that I would have to cancel my subscription and re-subscribe to the Thaicom 5 service (GMM?) which seems bizarre. So I asked her if they were planning to switch off the Vinasat service but she wouldn't (or couldn't answer). Seems very poor customer service - they have the service there but don't won't let people subscribe to it....

• 4 weeks later...

I like HD TV seems pretty good but in this day of football , money and TV rights is it actually legal? Do they buy the feed from someone who has purchased the rights?

I would prefer long term for True to get the football back, yes you pay the price but at least you know what you will get.

I have to endure a poor internet connection so still satellite dish for me.

I like HD TV seems pretty good but in this day of football , money and TV rights is it actually legal? Do they buy the feed from someone who has purchased the rights?

I would prefer long term for True to get the football back, yes you pay the price but at least you know what you will get.

In a nut shell no.

SKY TV do not offer their channels over seas hence SKY GO can only be used in the UK,much like BBC Iplayer.

I'm no lawyer but I'm certain in time these excellent internet services that are available now will see the chop at some point.

In a nut shell no.

SKY TV do not offer their channels over seas hence SKY GO can only be used in the UK,much like BBC Iplayer.

I'm no lawyer but I'm certain in time these excellent internet services that are available now will see the chop at some point.

Yes that's what I thought. Considering the money involved I am surprised they get away with it. With what CTH were rumored to put up for the EPL a few years ago they should have closed all doors to ensure they recouped their investment.

Hopefully next time around True will pull their fingers out because their coverage was actually pretty good when you look at what we have now.

Don't forget that you can watch "Sky News Live" on Youtube.

That's because it's a free to air channel.

SKY TV offer no subscription based service outside of the U.K.

subscription TV service via satellite. There’s also a free-to-view service from the BBC and ITV, called Freesat.

Sky LogoSky Digital: You are only allowed to watch Sky subscription channels if you’re living in the UK (including the Isle of Man and Channel Islands) or the Republic of Ireland. Sky will not accept subscriptions from outside of these areas. You need a UK postal address for billing reasons, and your set-top box needs to be connected to a UK phone line.

The main reason that Sky Digital does not sell subscriptions to non-UK residents relates to content usage… If Sky buys a hit show from the US to be shown in the UK, that’s for UK only – overseas broadcasters make their own arrangements.

Astra 2D footprintThe Sky signal is available outside the UK though. The nature of satellite broadcasting means that a signal from the satellites that distribute Sky Digital can be accessed outside of the UK.

Sky Digital is transmitted on SES Astra satellites located at 28.2°E and Eutelsat’s Eurobird 1 satellite located at 28.5°E – these have “footprints” that cover parts of Europe. To the right is a picture of the ‘footprint’ of the Astra 2D satellite, which provides the BBC Free-to-view channels. Many of the free-to-view channels from the satellites used for Sky can be accessed in parts of Europe, with a suitably-sized satellite dish. We have a page of information on what satellite channels are available without a subscription on our Free Satellite TV page.

The Radio and Telly website is intended for UK residents, and we aren’t able to provide any information on how to access Sky Digital outside the UK and Ireland. If you need help on how to access UK satellite TV outside of the UK and Ireland, perhaps try asking a question in our Sky forum.

Just switched to IPTV TH. I get all the channels (hopefully listed below) + playback of programmes from some channels a week ago + loads of box-sets of series like 'Sopranos' + movies - there's even 7 Adult channels (as yet untried!). I have a dongle so my TV can get the signal from my router in the other room. There's no buffering; no outages when it rains. At 1500 a month it's expensive but I'm very satisfied.

SPORTS ───────
Sky Sports 1 HD
Sky Sports 2 HD
Sky Sports F1 HD
Sky Sports 3 HD
Sky Sports 4 HD
Sky Sports 5 HD
Astro Super Sports 1 HD
Astro Super Sports 2 HD
Astro Super Sports 3 HD
Astro Super Sports 4 HD
Astro Super Sport 4,5,6,7