Public Holiday July 30 and July 31

Tywais

Two back to back Buddhist holidays - July 30 (Thursday) Asahna Bucha Day and July 31 (Friday) Wan Khao Phansa (beginning of Buddhist Lent) are nationwide public holidays.

1. Immigration will be closed both days, Thursday & Friday, so plan accordingly.

2. Alcohol sales are prohibited. That means bars will be closed, no alcohol sales at main stores. Your mileage may vary at mom&pop shops. smile.png

3. Bank main branches will be closed on the 30th, open on the 31st. Satellite branches such as at malls and ATMs will be open

4. Post offices will be closed.

5. University/schools will be closed.

6. Basically all government offices will be closed.

7. Some businesses and shops may close at their discretion.

So, plan your schedules accordingly as this will be a long 4 day weekend.

Edited by Tywais
Corrected Bank holiday based on BOT info

Will the bars be closed the whole weekend or just Thursday and Friday?

Just Thursday and Friday.

That is a total of 48 hours. Where does "just" come into it? Totally 'unjust' if you ask me.

I thought you have been here long enough to know that prohibited alcohol sales on Buddhist holidays has been around for years. In the early '90s it was very loosely enforced. Bars would open as usual but sometimes the police would come around but the bars usually had advanced notice and bring the shutters most of the way down and turn the inside lights on and punters continued drinking inside. Or the police would just inform them to close without penalizing them.

The only reason this is more noticeable by some is that the two Buddhist holidays just happen to be back to back during a weekday .

So many complain about the lack of enforcement of the law and when it is actually enforced they complain about that. biggrin.png

Will the bars be closed the whole weekend or just Thursday and Friday?

Just Thursday and Friday.

That is a total of 48 hours. Where does "just" come into it? Totally 'unjust' if you ask me.

I thought you have been here long enough to know that prohibited alcohol sales on Buddhist holidays has been around for years. In the early '90s it was very loosely enforced. Bars would open as usual but sometimes the police would come around but the bars usually had advanced notice and bring the shutters most of the way down and turn the inside lights on and punters continued drinking inside. Or the police would just inform them to close without penalizing them.

The only reason this is more noticeable by some is that the two Buddhist holidays just happen to be back to back this year.

So many complain about the lack of enforcement of the law and when it is actually enforced they complain about that. biggrin.png

As you rightly said I am well aware of the restrictions but that won't stop me making a joke or, more correctly, making a play on words.

In the 90's the only places were alcohol bans were enforced for Buddhist days were girlie bars and places with loud music, not forgetting to mention that it was an advisory ban which only became law quite recently. According to yesterday's newspapers it has now come to include hotels and restaurants, with the only exception being airport duty-free shops!

Bit by bit, Thailand is being overtaken by the conservative right and becoming more and more restrictive, which, although I am not a big drinker, I still think is a move in the wrong direction.

I'm all for basic law and order, but when it comes to restricting peoples right to enjoy themselves, count me amongst the naysayers as regards to enforcement. No smoking, no drinking, no sex won't make you live any longer, but it will seem like it. That's a joke, or an attempt at one, too.

So bars are closed but I know some trade quietly.

I doubt it. It's a lot more serious these days that it used to be, and especially since the current government took over.

On recent holidays I did actually take a very good look around and even the hole in the wall small bars in back sois were closed.

So it's basically Facebook trawling this Friday. Although I'm not convinced it's worth visiting some chick's room just to watch them yak, play cards and yell at each other. On the one hand I now feel too mature for that, but on the other hand there will of course be drinking..