Will Thaksin Try To Re-enter The Country?

LoveDaBlues

Can Thaksin use his great weath to try and pay-off top military in an attempt to reverse the coup? Or is Thaksin finished here for good?

At this point it looks like if he tries to re-enter Thailand he will be arrested.

I've heard his family is already in Singapore. It's possible Thaksin will never again set foot on Thai soil. How ironic.....I can't own land here but perhaps will have greater freedom here than the former PM! :D

TiT. :o

Can Thaksin use his great weath to try and pay-off top military in an attempt to reverse the coup? Or is Thaksin finished here for good?

He is finished as a political force, but if General Suchinda was allowed to live out his days in Thailand, I don't see why Thaksin wouldn't be able to. :o

He is finished as a political force, but if General Suchinda was allowed to live out his days in Thailand, I don't see why Thaksin wouldn't be able to. :o

Heard a report from a professor of Thai studies at a large university here in the states that said most of Thaksins money is still in Thailand (I am sure a substantial portion is also outside). The prof was speculating if Thaksin will be able to get at it.

According to Grant Peck of the AP:

"Thaksin was in New York at the U.N. General Assembly, and he declared a state of emergency in an audio statement via a government-owned TV station in Bangkok in a vain attempt to stave off the coup.

Thaksin, who had been scheduled to address the General Assembly, canceled his speech.

Government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee, who was with Thaksin in New York, said the coup leaders "cannot succeed" and was confident they would fail "because democracy in Thailand has developed to some ... measure of maturity."

Thaksin immediately left the U.S to return to Thailand"

According to Grant Peck of the AP:

"Thaksin was in New York at the U.N. General Assembly, and he declared a state of emergency in an audio statement via a government-owned TV station in Bangkok in a vain attempt to stave off the coup.

Thaksin, who had been scheduled to address the General Assembly, canceled his speech.

Government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee, who was with Thaksin in New York, said the coup leaders "cannot succeed" and was confident they would fail "because democracy in Thailand has developed to some ... measure of maturity."

Thaksin immediately left the U.S to return to Thailand"

latest according to 'the nation' website is that he is on his way to london.

Heard a report from a professor of Thai studies at a large university here in the states that said most of Thaksins money is still in Thailand (I am sure a substantial portion is also outside). The prof was speculating if Thaksin will be able to get at it.

I think the professor was just trying to stimulate a conversation. Someone as smart as Dr. Thaksin and as well versed in offshore companies (remember Ample Rich?) will have been moving assets out of Thailand for years. Since the family shares to SHIN were primarily held in offshore companies, the payments for the shares would be made to the entities that were holding the shares. Hence, most of it is offshore mate.

Official line is that he can come back, but won't be immune from prosecution.

I mentioned it in other threads - Suchinda's position is VERY different from Thaksin's. Suchinda was today's Sonthi, he went bad when he didn't hand over the power to civilians as he promised. No one was after his assets.

There were reports in the papers that the money is not all here yet, only hald has been transferred from Temasek. Maybe it's all in Thailand now already. Thaksin left well prepared for exile.

There were also reports that Thais are keeping an eye on his money from Shin sale and won't allow it out of the country. On the other hand Pridiyatorn said that they are not monitoring transactions over 10 mil dollars, and there are not orders to stop Thaksin's money from moving out.

These rumors are concerned only with Temasek payments, not with any money he stashed abroad earlier.