How to format a PC without a Windows disc?

davejonesbkk

Hi,

I have an old laptop that I want to fully wipe and format but just back to DOS, I dont want to re install Windows (I will want to later though). Ive been doing some Googling on this and every article and guide I find talks about using a windows disc, how can I do it without one?

Often times I am too pressed for time, and instead of a techical solution, I pursue the simple solution. Simply take out the hard-drive out, toss it, and then procure another hard-drive at a cost of about $30-$50 (or 1000-1700 baht). Problem solved.

Or you could just install another OS (e.g. Linux), which is free, and then later replace it with Windoze.

There is a very nice partitioning and format tool called gparted that is included in the Ubuntu installation. Good stuff!

Download Ubuntu, make a bootable USB stick (or DVD) and boot from that, you'll find gparted under the administration menu.

I think to remember that your MS-DOS install disk has a command for formatting the C-drive, “format c:” and optional “/fs:fat16”. You need to format a file-system DOS can read like FAT16; however the later versions of DOS will also work with FAT 32 and NTFS.
Some (older) computer bios has an option for “low level format” of a hard drive – never used it, but that will be rather slow, as everything will be erased and reformatted.

If you search Google, try: "dos format command"...

Just boot it into the boot menu and use the DOS commands from there. Try pressing the escape button on boot.

Try pressing the escape button on boot.

or f8, or the delete button, all boot ups are different,

to answer your question,instead of format i would buy

a new disk, you old disk might have hidden faults, buy

a new hard drive and start again, ps burn the old one.

Surprised that noone has questioned the op motive....

Personally I cant imagine any need for dos in this day and age except for the odd bios upgrade which is what not the op was talking about.... so why dos at all?

Possibly a misconception that having nothing makes the pc unusable ever again...wrong.

My guess wants to remove everything and reinstall later, possibly crossing international borders or similar in between...

If so, just format and hard wipe if preferred the harddrive...either with a live usb or in a separate machine. Forget dos, waste of time...if customs want to see it running bios will be more impresive than dos. Then reinstall using usb or cd when ready.

The OP asked: "I have an old laptop that I want to fully wipe and format..." I read it to mean he wanted to fully wipe it, not just format it. That takes a boot disk that will nuke the HDD. The best I know of is Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) which is free.

His OP also asked how he could proceed without a Windows disc. If he just wants to format and install DOS, the DOS install disk will format it. Formatting doesn't delete files, it just removes reference to them and many can be recovered. I don't know what he wants.

If he knows DOS well enough to use it he just needs to boot to the installation disk and format it before install. He can also wipe the disk with diskpart but it isn't as secure as DNAN.

Cheers.

Wow, this thread is running longer than I anticipated. I wonder if the OP has sorted out his problem.

Here's what I did in my spare time... I procured 8 GB of RAM for my brother in law's laptop (replacing the useless 1GB it originally had), and slapped Linux on it. All this using a slow-ass mobile internet device from AIS.

P.S. The Windoze OS and whatever crap which may have prevented the laptop from loading the OS is now history.