Pattaya or Koh Chang in August?

chris26be

I read on Pattaya Mail's website about tourists flocking to Koh Larn because of construction work at Pattaya and Jomtien beaches. What is going on exactly?

Should my wife and I consider going to Koh Chang instead (for about 4 days this AUgust)?

It is the rainy season and KC is pretty much the wettest place in Thailand. I've been to KC twice in august. Never again.

Koh Larn is totally over run with tourists now. Water Quality is getting bad. Been reported on many news sites lately.

Its trivial knowledge, just repeating: if you want to have nice beaches for a holiday with your wife then neither Pattaya nor Jomtien is the right place.

Neither one has clear water to the standards that most western tourists are accustomed too.

The popular northern end of Jomtien beach is specifically bad now because of the construction work (I call it demolition) work.

Ko Lan is no alternative. Its a crowded overpriced day excursion place. Nice clean water (when I was last there) but very crowded with those new cheapo rude tourists from wherever.

If you like quiet places for a couple/family holiday you better look to the westcoast of the gulf.

On the other hand: you can find higher category hotels for a reasonable price in Pattaya and stay at the pool for swimming/sunbathing.

For 4 days, why not?

Where are you coming from and where are you going to?

I am not (yet) a Pattaya hater, I go there occasionally to meet old friends and go for the bars and gogos.

But not for a family holiday.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Don't care what anyone else says. Whatever is on offer anywhere else in Thailand, Pattaya has it all and more. It just has more of everything without question. Oh and Koh Samed is only a 45 min drive away. A 2 night trip at this time of year would fit in nicely is Samed now the road has been built and you can get around the Island easier.

It is the rainy season and KC is pretty much the wettest place in Thailand. I've been to KC twice in august. Never again.

Koh Larn is totally over run with tourists now. Water Quality is getting bad. Been reportted on many news sites lately.

Better off by going to Hua Hin or Bang Saray (if you like quiet) or most likely better off waiting until say December, but even then KC will still be most likely wet!

Sure the average rainfall is high in August but, having lived in Koh Chang for 10 years I can tell you that I have experienced more than one August with very little rain. The island never "closes down". In fact, if businesses are going to take time off it tends to be in June or September.

Pattaya is the biggest resort town in Thailand because more people go there than any of the others. It is much more than GoGo's. Ton of decent international resturants and things to keep you occupied for 4 days. If you want some beach time go to Jomtien or Koh Lan. Ferry return and beach chair for the day 160baht which someone here said was overpriced(?). I really liked Koh Chang but if it rained a lot you would be in for a very boring time.