Tap water crisis in Bangkok is now over, MWA Governor says

webfact

Tap water crisis in Bangkok is now over, MWA Governor says

BANGKOK, 21 July 2015 (NNT) – The Governor of the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) has affirmed that the tap water crisis in Bangkok has subsided, while the public should still conserve water usage.

The MWA Governor Thanasak Watanathana has said that the current tap water status in Bangkok has passed the crisis level, with tap water production and supply sufficient for the entire rainy season. The amount of fresh water availability is now high enough to push seawater away from the pump stations.

He assured Bangkok residents that the city's tap water will no longer be salty, while the highest saltiness level in tap water during previous days have reached 0.5 grams per liter, which is slightly above average value and is considered safe.

He also mentioned that even though the situation has returned to normal, but the general public should continue to use water sparingly. He also addressed that the weak flow of tap water in some areas has been caused by maintenance. He assured that maintenance will be done only in crucial cases, while all routine maintenance efforts will be postponed.

The MWA Governor has added that the MWA will be hosting a campaign to encourage the public to save water and give souvenirs to users who have reduced their water consumption by 10 percent and no less than 5 cubic meters. There will also be special souvenirs for the top five water savers in each categories.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-21 footer_n.gif

MWA governor says tap water has returned to normal

7-20-2015-10-48-38-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The quality of tap water in Bangkok and peripherals has returned to normal thanks to rains in the last couple of days and increased water releases from the Bhumibol dam, said Mr Thanasak Wattanathana, governor of Metropolitan Waterworks Authority, on Monday.

He said that salty tap water in some parts of the city due to water shortage has already eased and returned to normal after the arrival of rains in several parts of the country which made it possible for increased water releases from Bhumibol and Sirikit dams.

Latest check of the quality of tap water shows that salinity in the tap water has dropped to 0.25 gramme/lire against the standard level of 0.50 grammes/litre.

Mr Thanasak said that the worst was over and the water situation was getting better. He assured there would be enough tap water to meet the demand but would prefer consumers to conserve water too as there might be water crisis next year.

The MWWA has launched a campaign urging consumers to cut back water consumption by 10 percent and the first five consumers who reduced water use the most would be entitled to rewards from the authority.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mwa-governor-says-tap-water-has-returned-to-normal

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-21

How magical! Most definitively a Prozac moment! w00t.gif

Maybe he can teach his colleagues in the BMA the secret of the magical trick so they too can clap their hands and issues such as congestion can be solved.

I am sorry to say this because I am only a stupid old farang and he is the MWA Governor Thanasak Watanathana and he obviously knows more than me but that is one of the more stupid statements I have read in a long time.

This years drought is not over yet and if you think that this years drought was bad just wait a year to see what hext years will be like.

At least this year to begin with there was a fair bit of water in the dams but not enough. Next year the dams will have less water to begin with and in a years time Bangkok will be suffering worse than the rest of the country as they will have NO idea what to do.

He assured that maintenance will be done only in crucial cases, while all routine maintenance efforts will be postponed.

Now that's a recipe for a well-functioning municipal water system!!!

Actually, with MWA, I thought all routine maintenance had ALWAYS been postponed... so nothing new here... whistling.gif

The solution was quite simple. The department of water resources told the bangkok post today that the solution was that they no longer serve coffee, tea or water in meetings, and others should follow their lead.

I am sorry to say this because I am only a stupid old farang and he is the MWA Governor Thanasak Watanathana and he obviously knows more than me but that is one of the more stupid statements I have read in a long time.

This years drought is not over yet and if you think that this years drought was bad just wait a year to see what hext years will be like.

At least this year to begin with there was a fair bit of water in the dams but not enough. Next year the dams will have less water to begin with and in a years time Bangkok will be suffering worse than the rest of the country as they will have NO idea what to do.

Are you seriously predicting rainfall in the tropics .. in advance? A YEAR in advance?

Sir, do not squander one more precious moment!

And when you are hip deep in cash .. don't forget who reminded you .. you can see the FUTURE !

post-145190-0-35470100-1437464146_thumb.

So, in order to keep Bangkokians clean and free from thirst, the dams in the north are ordered to start releasing water after a few days decent rains.

How about getting the levels up as a precaution. That would require planning I suppose.As others have said, if this drought continues into next year, as predicted, things will be dire indeed.

Are you seriously predicting rainfall in the tropics .. in advance? A YEAR in advance?

Sir, do not squander one more precious moment!

And when you are hip deep in cash .. don't forget who reminded you .. you can see the FUTURE !

Well if you keep weather records for a few years it is a bit easier to see a trend.

If you also Google El Nino and La Nina as it applies to Thailand (there are links on various water threads on TVF) you will also see a trend

If you also think about how much water was left in the dams at the start of this year and read how much water has been going into the dams and how much water has been relaesed you may realise that Thailand NEEDS twice as much rain as they had in 2011 just to bring the dams back to a reasonably safe levels.

As soon as the heavy rains come (if they come this year) and more water is released from the dams the levels will drop once again.

You don't have to be that smart to realise far less rain has fallen this year than in previous years, you just have to be smart enough where to look and how to put it together.

I would love to be proved wrong.

I have lived in rural Kahmpaeng Phet for 11 years and over that time the longest I have been without government water was 7 or 8 weeks. This year the government water went off in mid January and hasn't come back yet. That is about 6 MONTHS so I figure that to replace all the water in the dams will take 2 or 3 years.

But if you are smarter than me you work it out yourself and tell both the government and me where we have been going wrong.