Cambodian tycoon attack victim: 'I cannot accept what he did to me'

Jonathan Fairfield

Cambodian tycoon attack victim: 'I cannot accept what he did to me'

Oliver Holmes in Bangkok

A Cambodian TV star who was filmed being dragged to the ground and punched and kicked in the head says she refuses to be daunted by the wealth of her assailant.

CCTV footage of the violent assault by real estate tycoon Sok Bun on Ek Socheata, better known as Sasa, has shocked the country of 15 million.

The 28-year-old TV host and actor said the attack happened at a Japanese restaurant in the early hours of 2 July. She said she was protecting a drunk Japanese friend whom Sok Bun and his bodyguard were trying to put in a car.

“I said: ‘Please leave her. Don’t push her again and again. She doesn’t want to go. And she is so drunk, let her sleep,’” Sasa told the Guardian from a clothes shop she owns in the capital of Phnom Penh.

When she told Sok Bun that she would call the police, she said he lunged at her.

“He grabbed my hair. And hit me and put my head down again and again,” Sasa said.

You know you've done bad when Hun Sen holds the moral high ground.. Absolutely horrendous.. Hope he gets the paltry maximum of 5 years in a dank cell. Maybe that'll teach him some manners maybe.......