Australians Stranded By Coup Crisis

stumonster

Australians stranded by coup crisis

September 20, 2006

AUSTRALIANS bound for Thailand have been stranded in Singapore after their flight was diverted mid-flight on news of a coup in the south-east Asian nation.

The Emirates flight left Sydney early yesterday evening, and was due to land in Bangkok overnight.

Sydney man Stewart Wallace, a plumber from Ashfield, has said he landed in Bangkok last night and was waiting for his wife who was due to arrive on the later Emirates flight from Sydney.

"The first thing I knew about any coup was when i walked into the hotel lobby and a local man asked me if I'd heard the news," he said in Bangkok.

"I couldn't believe him and joked that it wasn't on my tourist schedule.

"Within half an hour, I received a text message from my wife Joann to say that her plane had unexpectedly landed in Singapore."

He said the crew did not tell passengers the reason for the change of destination.

"The first thing she knew about any coup was when I told her," Mr Wallace said.

"We have decided just to cancel our holiday.

"It's not worth the risk since no-one really knows what's going on.

"My wife has friends in the travel business in Singapore, so I am flying off there this morning to join her and will make other plans for our vacation."

story continued here

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...37-1702,00.html

I guess Emirates was just being cautious.

I do not see why anyone should be "stranded",

I am sure the airline will take care of them.

To me it sounds like a reporter who wanted a moment of fame at the price of truth.

Other than alchohol and hotel prices, Singapore is a pretty good place to be "stuck". :o

a few afternoon Singapore Slings in the Billiard Room of Raffles is a very civilized way to wait out a few days of the coup ...and watching the world go by evenings from Marriotts corner bar...sigh!

...and watching the world go by evenings from Marriotts corner bar...sigh!

Yes. That is one nice spot on the earth.

Hint #1: THe seat closest the escalator has the prime views.

Hint #2: The beer prices are higher than the friozen margarita prices. THe beer gets hot but the margaritas stay cold (because they are frozen, remember)

Hint #3: The girls that stop by. They want a drink. They might cost more than the drinks. wink wink

Uh, thanks for the pictorial translation for the rest of us, especially us Yanks.

...EWWWWWW.... :o

One looks like sugar-frosted turds, and the other like diarrhea* spread out on bread. Am I getting close, here?

*something like "diarrhoea" for the Brits/Aussies who are always screwing with my spelling rules.

Edited by toptuan

Stone the crows, fair dinkum you Yanks are hopeless.

Getcha selves out to the kitchen, put on your apron and start cooking:

Australian Lamingtons Recipe

The easy way

Ingredients

* 1 slab sponge cake (one day old)

* 4 cups icing sugar

* 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

* 2 tablespoons butter

* 1/2 cup milk

* 2 - 3 cups desiccated coconut

To make the icing

* Cool the cake for at least half an hour in the Fridge or Freezer, then cut into squares or fingers

* Combine the Sugar and Cocoa in a large bowl

* Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan until the butter is melted.

* Add to the sugar/cocoa mixture and mix to a fluid yet not runny consistency

To put it all together

* Make a production line of Sponge Fingers, Chocolate Icing mixture in a bowl, coconut in a shallow container or plate, and a cooling rack with paper underneath.

* Using a fork dip the sponge fingers into the icing, roll it in the coconut covering it well, and then place on to the rack to dry.

* Once they have dried, place in an airtight container and leave to "mature" for at least a few hours, preferably overnight, before eating.

........as for the Vegemite, you buy it in a jar, you don't need to cook it, just eat it.......and comparing Vegemite to Marmite !!!!!! What a bloody nerve !!!!!

:o

* 1 slab sponge cake (one day old)

* 4 cups icing sugar

* 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

* 2 tablespoons butter

* 1/2 cup milk

* 2 - 3 cups desiccated coconut

Wow, my Sis runs a delicatessen at a health food store back in the states. I bet she'll appreciate this one! Would go well with a carrot/parsely veggie drink, methinks. :o

Edited by toptuan