Question re high and low ride pickups

giddyup

I quite often see pickups of different brands, Isuzu, Mitsu, Toyota etc, that have around the same road clearance as a normal sedan. My question is, have these pickups been lowered or did they come from the factory like that? I can't say I've ever seen a low ride pickup in a showroom or advertised on TV, so I assume they have all been lowered aftermarket, but why?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but why?

O come on ... surly you can work that one out yourself ... have a go

Instead of being a smart ar*e, just answer my questions, I wouldn't ask if I already knew the answers. Do they come from the factory like that or don't you know? And the word is surely, not surly.

Edited by giddyup

In my case much better handling, along suitable with tyres and wheels. Pick up a copy of one of the Thai mags, "Race Truck" is a good one. Plenty of gen there. I got taken to one side at the end of Don Mueng toll way by the BIB and they wanted a 500 THB donation for lowering truck. So beware!

In my case much better handling, along suitable with tyres and wheels. Pick up a copy of one of the Thai mags, "Race Truck" is a good one. Plenty of gen there. I got taken to one side at the end of Don Mueng toll way by the BIB and they wanted a 500 THB donation for lowering truck. So beware!

I don't think everyone who has a lowered pickup uses it for racing, I see plenty being used for commercial reasons.

Next question from giddyup "why do lots of Thai pickup trucks have ECU Shop stickers on them?" NFI, time for my afternoon Leo.

Somebody else who would rather be a SA than actually answer the questions. I see my questions as a perfectly reasonable ones. I have asked several falangs and no one has been able to give me an answer. If you buy a pickup, then lower it for better handling, why not just buy a sedan or hatch in the first place? Because the pickups I've seen lowered appear to have the leaf springs virtually flattened, so that takes away most of the load carrying capacity. If there's some logic behind it, I'd like to hear it.

All manufacturers make pickups with 2 different suspension heights. Lower-end pickups are usually fitted with the low ride height config, and then, many truck owners lower them even further with aftermarket bits. Basically, there's those that like "low riders" and those that like "high riders".

Up2u

smile.png

Edited by IMHO

All manufacturers make pickups with 2 different suspension heights. Lower-end pickups are usually fitted with the low ride height config, and then, many truck owners lower them even further with aftermarket bits. Basically, there's those that like "low riders" and those that like "high riders".

Up2u

smile.png

Thank you. It's just that I have never seen in any of the manufactures brochures a "low rider" option, so I wasn't sure if they had been done as an aftermarket option or from the factory.

Giddy ... I do apologise for my SA reply. I though that you were taking the piss ... anyway now that I realize that you were the guy that we were talking about, at a BBQ, over the weekend who tried to syphon water uphill ... I realise that, to you, it wasn't a silly question at all... sorry

Giddy ... I do apologise for my SA reply. I though that you were taking the piss ... anyway now that I realize that you were the guy that we were talking about, at a BBQ, over the weekend who tried to syphon water uphill ... I realise that, to you, it wasn't a silly question at all... sorry

Once again with the SA answers. My question was about getting the siphon pumps to work, but you know that don't you, just another pathetic attempt to try and appear superior. Sorry but you fail, badly.

Giddy, calm down, yes you are correct, a lot of the Thai boy racer brigade take out all but one of the leaf springs. The lowering kit consists of lowering blocks (different sizes) and different length u-bolts. Usually the front springs need replacing and adjustable shocks on the rear too.

Entirely up to you. Most pickup manufacturers offer the standard height truck, mine is a basic Toyo 3L D4D but after a few years of mods, handle and goes like the proverbial sh*t off a shovel. Never heard of anyone lowering a pre-runner or a Hi Lander!.

Giddy, calm down, yes you are correct, a lot of the Thai boy racer brigade take out all but one of the leaf springs. The lowering kit consists of lowering blocks (different sizes) and different length u-bolts. Usually the front springs need replacing and adjustable shocks on the rear too.

Entirely up to you. Most pickup manufacturers offer the standard height truck, mine is a basic Toyo 3L D4D but after a few years of mods, handle and goes like the proverbial sh*t off a shovel. Never heard of anyone lowering a pre-runner or a Hi Lander!.

According to IMHO the manufacturers offer pickups in two ride heights. If people gave straight answers to my questions, the post could be done and dusted by now.

BTW, there's a Mitsu Triton 4 door outside my front door that's been lowered, so I guess any pickup can be. Why anyone would want to is a mystery to me, kind of defeats the purpose of a pickup in the first place.

Edited by giddyup

The base model 2WD 2 door trucks usually come with the normal 'low' ride. You rarely see these trucks in the show rooms or the brochures - as the higher priced, higher specced, higher riding trucks will have better margins.

Thank you, a straight answer at last.

The base model 2WD 2 door trucks usually come with the normal 'low' ride. You rarely see these trucks in the show rooms or the brochures - as the higher priced, higher specced, higher riding trucks will have better margins.

Not really, base model 2 door trucks have a standard 2 door truck ride height higher spec models have a higher ride height, neither of which is standard saloon ride height which is what you origionally asked.

Not really, base model 2 door trucks have a standard 2 door truck ride height higher spec models have a higher ride height, neither of which is standard saloon ride height which is what you origionally asked.

I said around the ride height of a sedan. I don't know what the difference between the two is, but it can't be much.

Are you talking about lowered rides or just the basic models, not the high riders?

The basic, normal height models can be seen everywhere.

My question was, have these pickups been lowered or did they come from the factory like that? So, I wasn't asking about the normal height pickups, but the low ride models. It appears that there is a factory made "low ride" in the cheaper base models, but owners obviously lower some themselves as well.

Edited by giddyup

Are you talking about lowered rides or just the basic models, not the high riders?

My question was, have these pickups been lowered or did they come from the factory like that? So, I wasn't asking about the normal height pickups, but the low ride models. It appears that there is a factory made "low ride" in the cheaper base models, but owners obviously lower some themselves as well.

Yes, to both questions AND the reason why they are so popular is that the purchase tax rate is only 3% where as the purchase tax rate on a car with a similar sized engine is 30%. So they are

relatively cheap to buy

spend 20K-30Kthb on the suspension and they will handle well

spend a little over 20Kthb at say ECU Thailand and you can get 500Nm of torque (that's quite a lot)

So for a smallish outlay you end up with a ride that will corner like its almost on rails and will out accelerate a great many 'quick' cars.

The ride might loosen your fillings a little on anything but a really smooth road though.

I forgot, you also get a big boot.

Yes, to both questions AND the reason why they are so popular is that the purchase tax rate is only 3% where as the purchase tax rate on a car with a similar sized engine is 30%. So they are

relatively cheap to buy

spend a little over 20Kthb at say ECU Thailand and you can get 500Nm of torque (that's quite a lot)

So for a smallish outlay you end up with a ride that will corner like its almost on rails and will out accelerate a great many 'quick' cars.

The ride might loosen your fillings a little on anything but a really smooth road though.

yeah, very old and worn rails cheesy.gif

relatively cheap to buy

Have you ever watched proper pick-up racing. OK they spend a little more on their trucks but you get the idea I'm sure.

I said around the ride height of a sedan. I don't know what the difference between the two is, but it can't be much.

I work in Millimeters as your working in Yards best of luck.

I don't think everyone who has a lowered pickup uses it for racing, I see plenty being used for commercial reasons.

Typically missing the point again regarding the racing example. He's not saying they race them, what he's saying is they want that stance for reasons of handling and ride instead of the stereotypical marshmallow like leaning and pitching truck ride.. Besides they can purchase trucks much cheaper then cars and then mod them to drive like a car but with much of the cargo use of a truck, JAS21 really hit the nail honestly, this is a bit of no-brainer with some effort.

Whats wrong with siphoning water up hill? I do it all the time.. I use a pump.. It requires a vacuum to do so, vacuum is a siphon effect but that's for another topic tongue.png ..

If people gave straight answers to my questions, the post could be done and dusted by now.

But what fun would that be? Some like them, it doesn't defeat their purpose, limits it maybe but it's more about cost and taste then purpose. You don't understand fine, they do and it's their choice.

Have you ever watched proper pick-up racing. OK they spend a little more on their trucks but you get the idea I'm sure.

You mentioned racing again, now you lost everybody, they don't spend a whole lot more on their suspension, many use the same as they'd use on the street when lowering.

Typically missing the point again regarding the racing example. He's not saying they race them, what he's saying is they want that stance for reasons of handling and ride instead of the stereotypical marshmallow like leaning and pitching truck ride.. Besides they can purchase trucks much cheaper then cars and then mod them to drive like a car but with much of the cargo use of a truck, JAS21 really hit the nail honestly, this is a bit of no-brainer with some effort.

But he does say they race them, hence the mention of "Race Truck", and he also mentions later that his "goes like sh*t off a shovel". So who's missed the point?

Whats wrong with siphoning water up hill? I do it all the time.. I use a pump.. It requires a vacuum to do so, vacuum is a siphon effect but that's for another topic tongue.png ..

That's what happens when someone tries to a smart ars* but isn't actually smart. They end up with egg on their face.