"Racist" incidents in Thailand that made you laugh! (Just For Fun)

Jingthing

This is a different kind of topic.

It's about "racism" but only in cases where the racism is humorous.

Racism exists throughout the world, including Thailand.

Sometimes it is deadly serious, sometimes it is trivial, and sometimes it is JUST PLAIN FUNNY!

Now this might seem odd. Maybe you've never experienced a FUNNY racist incident, but I just did, and that inspired this topic.

So I'm going to share my recent FUNNY racist incident in Thailand, and encourage y'all to share any of yours.

They can relate to racism against any group in Thailand, including Thais.

But NOTHING serious please.

ONLY FUNNY.cheesy.gif

If you think racism is never funny ... well, I think you're wrong.

Here's my FUNNY racism in Thailand story:

I was walking around a non-touristy part of the now BIG CITY of Pattaya and noticed a Chinese restaurant that I hadn't seen before. I immediately recognized it as typical Thai Chinese SHARK FIN BANQUET SET kind of place and assumed they wouldn't have a normal a la carte menu, at least one in ENGLISH.

But being curious, I walked in anyway on the remote chance that they might have an a la carte English menu. I do love Chinese food but shark fin banquets are not my thing.

So I walk in and of course the looks I get are I must have entered by ACCIDENT. Must be lost. Big mistake.

But I stick around and peer at some of the tables and I can see some great looking Chinese food, including whole fish.

So I'm going to at least try and ask about a menu.

Well a few minutes go by and then emerges the probable aged Thai Chinese matron of the place, and this is what she said:

NO BURGER!
NO CHICKEN!

NO HAMBURGER!

This while basically giving me an extreme look (and gestures) of total DISDAIN. While doing this she was literally SHOOING ME AWAY with gestures you might use towards a dog.

Now this lady was VERY HOSTILE and very mean and yes, obviously racist to assume a white guy was so stupid to walk into an OBVIOUS Chinese restaurant and expect a McDonalds.

But it was so absurd and so over the top that all I could do was LAUGH!

Thinking about it later, the incident would be like an Asian person walking into a American food restaurant in the U.S. and being greeted with something like:

NO CHING CHONG CHOW MEIN!

NO FISH HEADS!

GO AWAY!

OK, I admit an Asian person in the U.S. might probably be offended and not find that funny.

But I really did.

It really made my day.

I've been thrown out of a lot of restaurants like that, but never in such a HUMOROUS way.

So do you have any stories like this?
FUNNY racism in Thailand incidents?

Edited by Jingthing

So, did you stay and eat or did you leave?

Of course I left.

Are you serious?

I was kicked out.

Anyway, let's nip this in the bud.

I'm not going to comment further on the NO HAMBURGER incident.

I told it.

It's done.

If others have FUNNY RACISM stories in the same vein, please do share.

If not, then another DUD concept thread won't be the end of the world either!

Edited by Jingthing

One incident, some 6 years ago, I was living with Thai friends in the village where my house was being built at the time. It was that time of year for the ‘Inter village sports day’ and it was my villages turn to host the event.

So, all the villages in the area, bus there people in to our village and they all form-up, ready to march to the sports ground, village by village and further into sub-sections, each section carrying a placard stating what that section was all about, ‘basket waivers’ ‘shop keepers’ and so on…….

I was stood with my friends, all reading in our start up position, when along came our village organizer, (local school teacher) she told me to come with her, no choice given, (she was all flustered) I was dragged out the line and reinserted at the back of our village parade with two other guys, both Indian, one was holding a sign with our village name on it and under that was written ‘NOT THAI’ in English….. The school teacher took great pride in telling me she had written that…. What could I say, “well done”

To cap it off I near had a fight with the Indian guy who decided he didn’t want to carry our sign anymore and though he would just give it to me, after around 5 attempt of him trying to bully me into holding the sign, he got the message that he would be wearing the sign if he made one more attempt to pass it to me……. (I used the power of mime)

A very surreal experience indeed, but I’m happy to report I was not put into stocks at the sports ground and no rotten fruit was thrown….. had a great day, I did enjoy the inter village cheerleader competition…..

Not really racist but I had to stay with my girlfriend at the time who lived with a friend as I had run into ,err some problems, no biggie. just for a week.

it was in a poor area of BKK, some would call it a slum but I had a ball. Its not so often in life that I have been so well looked after.

My girlfriends Mum, who is a diamond by the way was extremely distressed when she learnt this. She came running around with a bag full of bread, cheese slices, ham (with bits of chilli in them that she painstakingly picked out) and butter. She was utterly convinced that I ( a farang) could not survive on Thai food. Every day she would come and make me sandwiches. Even when she saw me eating green curry with the chickens feet in it. She had some notion that farang living or visiting Thailand ate sandwiches every day.

I related the story to my own Mum who thought this was just hilarious and wanted to thank her personally for looking after me.

See a Thai lad offer an Israeli pork fried rice thought that was amusing

Your weird ignorant issue with Jews isn't really funny.

If you don't have something that really fits on this thread, rather than your two obvious trollish posts, please BUZZ OFF.

Not really racist but I had to stay with my girlfriend at the time who lived with a friend as I had run into ,err some problems, no biggie. just for a week.

it was in a poor area of BKK, some would call it a slum but I had a ball. Its not so often in life that I have been so well looked after.

My girlfriends Mum, who is a diamond by the way was extremely distressed when she learnt this. She came running around with a bag full of bread, cheese slices, ham (with bits of chilli in them that she painstakingly picked out) and butter. She was utterly convinced that I ( a farang) could not survive on Thai food. Every day she would come and make me sandwiches. Even when she saw me eating green curry with the chickens feet in it. She had some notion that farang living or visiting Thailand ate sandwiches every day.

I related the story to my own Mum who thought this was just hilarious and wanted to thank her personally for looking after me.

That's a sweet story and also I think quite funny.wub.png

Her actions were based on a racial stereotype, so yes, technically racism as she treated you differently based on race, but clearly done out of very sincere concern.

There is also such a thing as positive racism, being treated BETTER based on race.

Or things like assuming a random black person is a good dancer when that random black person maybe can't dance at all.

Edited by Jingthing

If you don't have something that really fits on this thread, rather than your two obvious trollish posts, please BUZZ OFF.

Oh dear you create a thread calling for " racist" observations and its perfectly acceptable to talk about thai, blacks, chinese and indians, and besides who mentioned Jews ? I said Israeli's not all israelis are Jews

One suspects the whole premise of your thread was trollish to start with

Oh dear you create a thread calling for " racist" observations and its perfectly acceptable to talk about thai, blacks, chinese and indians, and besides who mentioned Jews ? I said Israeli's not all israelis are Jews

Again. Please buzz off. Your posts are not fun. I'm sure there are other threads for you to unload whatever it is you feel the need to unload.

I don't need to defend the sincere intention of this thread to the likes of someone clearly as hostile as you. If you think it's a troll thread, report it ... as you BUZZ OFF please.

Edited by Jingthing

Why can i still your posts anyway ? You promised to put me on your ignore list with great fanfare and drama

Why can i still your posts anyway ? You promised to put me on your ignore list with great fanfare and drama

You aren't on my ignore list so I don't know what happened. Please stop polluting this thread with your OFF TOPIC baggage. It isn't interesting to the readers.

Edited by Jingthing

Again. Please buzz off. Your posts are not fun. I'm sure there are other threads for you to unload whatever it is you feel the need to unload.

I don't need to defend the sincere intention of this thread to the likes of someone clearly as hostile as you. If you think it's a troll thread, report it ... as you BUZZ OFF please.

JT your intention was only sincere as long it reflected your own bigoted opinions as soon as some made a comment you didnt like you started howling foul

You requested amusing racist storys and i related my Israeli one, no hostility intended and its a true story as well

You aren't on my ignore list so I don't know what happened. Please stop polluting this thread with your OFF TOPIC baggage. It isn't interesting to the readers.

I contributed a very on topic post regarding the Israeli incident so not sure what your on about ?

What does post #7 mean then Soutpeel?

Haven't got any startling stories to relate really. But you're quite right JT, some of them are laughable. smile.png

You tell me ?

You want me to explain what you posted?

cheesy.gif

Don't feed the rolls. licklips.gif

What does post #7 mean then Soutpeel?

Haven't got any startling stories to relate really. But you're quite right JT, some of them are laughable. smile.png

You tell me ?

You want me to explain what you posted?

cheesy.gif

Yes please as every time i post something in this thread i am constantly attacked by the OP, there fear any answer i give however honest will be attacked and labelled trollish, as it doesnt pass the OP censorship test

Per post 22 my case rests, i never even responded as was attacked by the op seems to me OP is just a bully to people who dont comply with his own bigoted opinions, rather sad seems like a nice chap even though appears to be carrying some issues around

Edited by Soutpeel

Sorry if there a clerical error in the past.

Welcome to my Ignore List.

Others, can we please get back on track?

We at least got a few good ones before a nattering nabob of negativity intruded.

Would love to see some more.

Sorry if there a clerical error in the past.

Welcome to my Ignore List.

Others, can we please get back on track?

We at least got a few good ones before a nattering nabob of negativity intruded.

Would love to see some more.

What a bully !

Gentlemen....are we not such?

I'm guessing the 3 of us are some of the maturer men on here; we've learnt alot from life, so let's all be mates...friends...ok? smile.png

I couldnt agree more but as you have seen by the OP posts and reactions to date on this thread, i have been told to shut up, called troll etc and finally put on an ignore list because i related and on topic story the OP didnt agree with, thats just censorship and bullying IMHO

Gentlemen....are we not such?

I'm guessing the 3 of us are some of the maturer men on here; we've learnt alot from life, so let's all be mates...friends...ok? smile.png

I couldnt agree more but as you have seen by the OP posts and reactions to date on this thread, i have been told to shut up, called troll etc and finally put on an ignore list because i related and on topic story the OP didnt agree with, thats just censorship and bullying IMHO

If that's how you see it though, perhaps you could be the 'bigger man' & not respond. smile.png

However...I go on another Forum - nothing to do with Thailand, & have taken a 'leave of absence' as I let myself get wound up too much by daft comments.facepalm.gif

Never mind....smile.png