Thai govt to create jobs for those affected by drought

webfact

Govt to create jobs for those affected by drought

BANGKOK, 22 July 2015 (NNT)-The Thai government is planning to spend 10 million baht creating jobs for farmers in each area affected by drought crisis.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Ministry of Interior to help Thais affected by water shortages. Ten million baht would be allocated to each of the drought stricken provinces in order to help create jobs for farmers.

Those in the affected areas are urged to propose to the government how they plan to spend the10 million to boost their livelihood. General Prayut also stated that the government has made significant progress in digging 5,000 artesian wells, under its 3 year water management plan.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment has also been instructed to obtain water pumps for communities in need of water. The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and the Royal Thai Army will also reach out to farmers who are struggling to find water to keep their crops alive.

The Prime Minister is also asking everyone to understand about the current situation and urging them to help conserve water.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-22 footer_n.gif

If I hear of another news report in which the PM "urges everyone to understand" or words to that effect I might just break down into tears.

I just imagine a poor EAL teacher trying to get his mattayom 5 students to 'understand' the use of the present perfect tense in an English conversation. No matter how hard the teachers tries to get the students to understand, the teacher fails to grasp that the students have their own ideas and find the teacher both boring, dated and irrelevant.

Yet he still persists with trying to get them to understand. Maybe the teacher should try to understand his students first?

Edited by jonclark

I am not sure how many farmers are affected, but let's say it is 5,000 per province... which is on the low side I expect. So with 10 million baht per province that is 2000 baht each to create a job so that they can feed and take care of their families for a year. I know the government is not made of money and disagree with creating a hand-out mentality, but this announcement can be no more than a deliberate publicity stunt aimed at people who can't do simple math.

There are +- 18 million farmers in the country, let us assume that 9 million will be effected by this drought. Officially there are 23 provinces effected by the drought and the government are giving B 10 million per provinces, which brings the total to B 230 million. Which means each farmers will get B 25,55 (even if they expand it to 77 provinces = B 770 mil it will be B 85,55 per farmer).

There are +- 18 million farmers in the country, let us assume that 9 million will be effected by this drought. Officially there are 23 provinces effected by the drought and the government are giving B 10 million per provinces, which brings the total to B 230 million. Which means each farmers will get B 25,55 (even if they expand it to 77 provinces = B 770 mil it will be B 85,55 per farmer).

bring on the Lao Kao

I am not sure how many farmers are affected, but let's say it is 5,000 per province... which is on the low side I expect. So with 10 million baht per province that is 2000 baht each to create a job so that they can feed and take care of their families for a year. I know the government is not made of money and disagree with creating a hand-out mentality, but this announcement can be no more than a deliberate publicity stunt aimed at people who can't do simple math.

If people work together to, for example, dig small ponds or swales, plant bananas or stock ponds with fish it is enough money and a catalyst for more resiliency.

Government to create jobs for farmers. But THAT is not a populist policy. Hypocrisy reigns supreme!

There is nothing wrong with populist policy if it gives value for money. Employing out of work citizens to carry out public works rather than give them hand outs is sound economic policy. Ever heard of FDR and the New Deal?