Cambodia cracks down on illegal immigrants

geovalin

Amid a nationwide crackdown on illegal immigrants, National Police commissioner Neth Savoeun has ordered the creation of 89 district-level immigration units across Cambodia.

Deputy National Police commissioner Sok Phal, who also heads the police’s General Department of Immigration, yesterday said the move – quietly unveiled on Friday – will make policing immigration issues more efficient than the current system, which depended on a central office in each province.

“It will make work easier for some of the local officials in charge,” Phal said.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/immigrant-crackdown-boosted-local-level

are there any illegal immigrants in Cambo ? what could they be possibly doing in such a shithole of a cuntry ?

I am guessing Vietnamese and a number of Westerners who have overstayed their visa's by many many years

are there any illegal immigrants in Cambo ? what could they be possibly doing in such a shithole of a cuntry ?

Westerners who have overstayed their visa's by many many years

you mean the poor sods who got trapped by the 5$/day overstay fine ? But if you want to get rid of them the right thing to do is not a crackdown that would just fill the monkey house, but a pardon that gives them the opportunity to leave.

Westerners who have overstayed their visa's by many many years

you mean the poor sods who got trapped by the 5$/day overstay fine ? But if you want to get rid of them the right thing to do is not a crackdown that would just fill the monkey house, but a pardon that gives them the opportunity to leave.

Not sure why the Vietnamese are still there. They are not well liked by the Cambodians. Vietnamese visiting Cambodia are treated alright, but not those residing there. If I was Vietnamese I'd get out in a hurry. Too much nationalist sentiment, protests by Cambodian nationalists outside the Vietnamese embassy in Phnom Penh or about "their" former territory in southern Vietnam. Recently some of these goons even went so far and clashed with Vietnamese living on the border between the two countries near the border with Svay Rieng province and Moc Hoa I think it's called on the Vietnamese side.

The Vietnamese have a strong hold in the Cambodian economy.

CPP needs to play to Cambodian nationalists who are strongly anti-Vietnamese (and Thai).

I imagine this drive will focus on Viets. Perhaps round up a few Africans too.