Australian Cars In Thailand

Hello folks.

Any Australian Fords or Holdens in the country? I see the same beat up Holdens listed at One2Car and Talarod and one stretched limosuine. I'm not interested in those. Any gearheads here know of any sitting around or owner that may want to sale? I particularly looking for 1970s Ford LTD and LTD Town Car.

Would love to find one of these.

post-137506-0-03088600-1437552518_thumb.

post-137506-0-44782900-1437552646_thumb.

Edited by 3SoiDogNight

That's what I was afraid of. Were these at least common in Australia when new?
During this time in the US, just about everyone had these kind of cars and till this day, you'll frequently see them on the road. Certianly in California and Arizona were it doesn't rust.

Since Thailand is a right hand drive country like Australia, I think it would be cool to have one of these as a weekend cruiser.

Aussie cars are that crap even the Thais don't want em.

Steady boy. Aussie cars have been built strong as opposed to the new cars today.

They were mechanically sound also.

The use of "were" is because the Australian car industry is nearing an end.

Slight correction. Aussie cars were legislated against shortly after TAFTA was signed. Thanks to that, we now all endure ~380% of taxes on any imported car with >3000cc or > 220HP.

Thanks guys!

I have seen the very occasional early 70s Fairlane around Bangkok, but not for many years now.

There is one listed here (Page 4) as a 66 Fairlane, but it looks like a ZD which should therefore be more around 71. Not the original engine.

http://www.carkolorclassics.com/#!classis-cars-4/c1sym

Same site lists an XY Falcon as sold on page 3. Saw a ZC Fairlane for sale a while back but with the roof cut off so probably a disaster.

Never seen an LTD.

Edited by eaustev

I know of a few LH torana's and 2 HQ coupes. none are for sale. A few years back I saw a Maloo ute in Pattaya wearing QLD plates. seen it once, never again.

That was a tourist driving his temporarily imported car around Asia. Have seen Aussie plates in Laos too, you see them in Malaysia, Thailand and Laos because these countries easily allow the entry of foreign registered vehicles for tourism purposes, whereas Vietnam, China, Myanmar and Cambodia do not.

I know of a few LH torana's and 2 HQ coupes. none are for sale. A few years back I saw a Maloo ute in Pattaya wearing QLD plates. seen it once, never again.

That was a tourist driving his temporarily imported car around Asia. Have seen Aussie plates in Laos too, you see them in Malaysia, Thailand and Laos because these countries easily allow the entry of foreign registered vehicles for tourism purposes, whereas Vietnam, China, Myanmar and Cambodia do not.

Sod driving all the way from Australia to Thailand.

Sod driving all the way from Australia to Thailand.

I agree Stoney. If I was daft enough to ship a car over so that I can drive it around on my holiday a commodore ute would definitely not be the vehicle of choice.

I have seen the very occasional early 70s Fairlane around Bangkok, but not for many years now.

There is one listed here (Page 4) as a 66 Fairlane, but it looks like a ZD which should therefore be more around 71. Not the original engine.

http://www.carkolorclassics.com/#!classis-cars-4/c1sym

Same site lists an XY Falcon as sold on page 3. Saw a ZC Fairlane for sale a while back but with the roof cut off so probably a disaster.

Never seen an LTD.

Thanks for the link eaustev.

Interesting but my goodness, some of those modified cars are a nightmare on wheels. What goes through those people's heads to sabotage a car like that?

Most of the Aussie cars I see here are small in mid-size. Only once have I seen a full-sized Holden here in Thailand.

I located one online down in Australia that is absolutley gorgeous and in original factory condition. No punk has f--ked with it with aftermarket wheels, seats and stereos. This appears to have the Outback package option which would be ideal for Thailand's hot climate.

Anyone have a good friend at the Australian Embassy to bring this in for me? :)

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/australias-finest-brougham-for-sale-1979-ford-ltd-p6-town-car/

post-137506-0-50243400-1437641725_thumb.

I owned both of these Models shown in the late 70's. The 75, Pop Up Headlight Model was far Better and had the 351 cu in Cleaveland engine as against the later LTD which had the Windsor 351. The Cleaveland had far more Grunt.

I owned both of these Models shown in the late 70's. The 75, Pop Up Headlight Model was far Better and had the 351 cu in Cleaveland engine as against the later LTD which had the Windsor 351. The Cleaveland had far more Grunt.

Now THAT's awesome!

You're correct about the 351 Cleveland. A friend of mine had a 1970 Mercury Cougar which had the 351 Cleveland. I had a 1976 Mercury Cougar that had the 351M which was nowhere near as powerful as his Cleveland. Then again, the Cougar was a completly different animal by 1976.

The 1970 model was still a muscle/pony car while my 1976 was an upmarket personal luxury coupe.

How was the ride quality of these Australian LTDs? Were they soft suspension luxury sedans that glided over potholes? Not really looking for performance as I am looking for a smooth, soft ride.

I'm really liking that 1973 model with concealled headlights. Would love to get my hands on one that is still in original factory condition.

post-137506-0-16120500-1437648432_thumb.

Yep the Australian LTDs and Fairlanes had soft suspension, light power steering, comfy seats and a spacious interior, similar to their US brethren. Built for comfort, not speed.

The Australian 302 and 351 engines were based on the cleveland engine. Some imported Windsors were also used.

There was even a 2 door hardtop luxury coupe version of the LTD called the Landau https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Landau_(Australia).

Edited by Jitar

Saw this in Hua Hin last time we went there, was surprised to see an old holden there smile.png

That is the older Holden I most commonly see here in Thailand. Must have been officially sold here in Thailand once upon a time. That looks to be a 1975 model.

Yep the Australian LTDs and Fairlanes had soft suspension, light power steering, comfy seats and a spacious interior, similar to their US brethren. Built for comfort, not speed.

The Australian 302 and 351 engines were based on the cleveland engine. Some imported Windsors were also used.

There was even a 2 door hardtop luxury coupe version of the LTD called the Landau https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Landau_(Australia).

That's excatly what I'm looking for. Soft suspension and comfortable interior. Ideal for road trips to Hua Hin, Pattaya or getting lost up country.

A former co-worker of mine has a 1976 Ford Falcon sedan. It only has the base straight-6 engine. If I could locate a 351cu" V8 engine here in Bangkok, I'd buy it off of him.

I just had to remind you all that it was an aussie car that was the fastest production 4 door sedan in THE WORLD for nearly 20 years, namely the 71 XY Falcon GTHO Phase III.

The homolgation specials reached their zenith with the Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III in 1971, a car which Allan Moffat used to defeat all opposition in the 1971 Bathurst enduro and would remain the fastest four-door production saloon in the world until the introduction of the Lotus Carlton 19 years later.

post-93995-0-78017900-1438405891_thumb.j

At one stage about 40 years ago there were quite a few 4 cylynder commadores here. Not sure if it was a gov to gov deal or what.

Now you very occassionally see one but the motor has often been replaced by Toyota.

I just had to remind you all that it was an aussie car that was the fastest production 4 door sedan in THE WORLD for nearly 20 years, namely the 71 XY Falcon GTHO Phase III.

The homolgation specials reached their zenith with the Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III in 1971, a car which Allan Moffat used to defeat all opposition in the 1971 Bathurst enduro and would remain the fastest four-door production saloon in the world until the introduction of the Lotus Carlton 19 years later.

A damn fine piece of automotive history and I would kill to own one but the Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3 (4 door sedan) was faster.

Edited by Don Mega

A damn fine piece of automotive history and I would kill to own one but the Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3 (4 door sedan) was faster.

How was the Mercedes faster if the Falcon GTHO was the fastest production car in the world? Seems like a contradiction.

I don't know giddyup, I guess back in those days Australia did not considering anything outside of its borders.

Saying that what is considered "fastest"?

is it top speed, 0 to 60 mph or 1/4 mile time ?

0 to 60 and 1/4 mile the GTHO was faster than the merc, but then there was other cars in aus that beat the GTHO in those.

Notice though it is mentioned "4 door" production car...... there was plenty of 2 door cars that killed the GTHO as well (and the merc).

I don't know giddyup, I guess back in those days Australia did not considering anything outside of its borders.

Saying that what is considered "fastest"?

is it top speed, 0 to 60 mph or 1/4 mile time ?

0 to 60 and 1/4 mile the GTHO was faster than the merc, but then there was other cars in aus that beat the GTHO in those.

Notice though it is mentioned "4 door" production car...... there was plenty of 2 door cars that killed the GTHO as well (and the merc).

This is a quote from Wikipedia, so not just Aussies bragging.

"The homolgation specials reached their zenith with the Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III in 1971, a car which Allan Moffat used to defeat all opposition in the 1971 Bathurst enduro and would remain the fastest four-door production saloon in the world until the introduction of the Lotus Carlton 19 years later".

Whilst I never consider wikipedia to be the be all end all gospel for facts and figures but now that you bring it up giddyup

Here are the numbers from each page;

GTHO Phase III
Top Speed - 228 km/h (142 mph)
0 to 60 mph - 8.4 seconds
Standing 1/4 mile (400m) - 15.4 seconds

Merc 300SEL 6.3
Top Speed - 229 km/h (142.3 mph)
0 to 60mph - 6.3 seconds
Standing 1/4 mile (400m) - 14.2 seconds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.3#Performance

Interesting to note the wiki article says the GTHO had to be modified to achieve those numbers (disable the rev limiter) where as the merc was how it rolled from the production line.

That was THE CAR..........The power it had was a fright .