Coal-fired plant could burn tourism in Krabi

webfact

EDITORIAL
Coal-fired plant could burn tourism in Krabi

The Nation

We can meet the rising demand for electricity without blighting one of the country's natural treasures

BANGKOK: -- The government is facing a dilemma over whether to push ahead with plans to build a coal-fired electricity plant in Krabi province despite strong opposition from local residents and environmental activists.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) cites the need to meet increasing demand for electricity in the South and has earmarked early next month for a bidding process to find a constructor for the plant.

Meanwhile a group of Krabi locals has joined with environmental activists to protest in Bangkok, calling on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to call off the bidding and set up a committee comprising all stakeholders to review the project. Locals fear that the power plant and the transportation of coal to feed it from Indonesia will severely damage tourism, which is central to Krabi's economy. The environmentalists say that an alternative and "cleaner" source of energy should be found.

Stop Global Warming Association president Srisuwan Janya is threatening to sue Egat and the Energy Ministry if they proceed with the power plant bidding. "Why does the prime minister still insist on using coal even when it is dirty and polluting, when we have many alternative sources of energy?" Srisuwan asked.

Many people still remember the night-time power outages in May 2013 that plunged all 14 southern provinces into darkness. The nightly blackouts inspired widespread fear among residents - particularly those in the insurgency-hit border provinces - and had an adverse impact on the tourism industry.

Egat blamed the cut in supply on a lightning strike on a main cable carrying power from the Central region, which triggered a safety shutdown at power plants in the South.

However, it also admitted that the South's reliance on electricity from outside sources was also to blame for the largest power outage in the country's history. The southern provinces now have to rely on the Central region and Malaysia to top up locally produced electricity, which is insufficient to meet demand at peak times or during maintenance.

Egat governor Soonchai Kumnoonsate says demand for electricity in the South is expanding by five per cent a year due to the region's tourism boom. Research shows that demand in the region will reach 3,062 megawatts in 2019, up from 2,350 at present.

The governor said two new coal-fired power plants in Krabi and Songkhla, with a combined output of 1,800 megawatts, would help improve the energy security of the South.

There is merit on both sides of the argument over the power plant project. The government must now carefully consider the information being put forth by both the proponents and the opponents of the scheme before making a decision that best benefits the majority of the people.

One promising compromise would be to go ahead with the power plant's construction but switch its source of energy from coal to something more environment-friendly, such as natural gas or a renewable energy. This would help satisfy the rising demand for electricity in the South while also placating the fears of local residents and environmental campaigners over the damage a coal plant might do to Krabi.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Coal-fired-plant-could-burn-tourism-in-Krabi-30265012.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-23

Locals fear the power station will severely affect tourism - why? Because the anti- activists told them it will.

How many Samui tourists, and I include those of us who have been here for years, know there is a coastal power station at Khanom, visible from the ferry if you know where to look? How many would leave, or never come, if it was burning coal?

Natural treasure??? krabi...?

They should build a very big power plant as fast as posseble. This is much better for Krabi's invoirment.

Locals can have a decent job and education, tourism will be gone, so no more crap on the beaches, and marine life will be lef alone. After that Krabi can be upgraded, clean the whole province, get rid of criminals, wow .. Would be a great industrial province.

Naaah forget it, shall be as crappy as it is used to be. Lets thai- modify it.

You dop not want Coal Powered Plant, then try Windmills or Nuclear. Other wise issue candles to tourist as they arrive.

Do they mine coal in Thailand, I think not !! Must be coming from China.

Not China "Mar 11, 2015 - China's coal imports stood at 32.04 million tonnes in January and February" http://www.ihsmaritime360.com/article/17035/china-coal-imports-slump-in-first-two-months-of-2015

More likely Australia (where hypocrites are cutting back coal-fired generation, but selling coal as fast as they can) or Indonesia "Analysts estimate that Indonesia, the world's top exporter of thermal coal, will produce 450 million tons of coal in 2015" http://www.indonesia-investments.com/news/todays-headlines/coal-production-indonesia-surprisingly-low-in-first-quarter-2015/item5465

They have one lignite mine in southern Thailand, low output and even lower energy quality.

Edited by halloween

You dop not want Coal Powered Plant, then try Windmills or Nuclear. Other wise issue candles to tourist as they arrive.

Yes, coal is mined in Thailand. However, the coal will most likely come from Australia. China prefers to keep all of is energy resources to itself. Banpu is a major coal mining company which is heavily invested in coal fired power plants. Banpu now controls the former Australian coal company Centenial. The coal used isn't the best quality and is usually the high sulfur content.Thailand hasn't invested in the expensive "scriubber" technology to the same extent as some European and USA companies have and unfortunately, the end result are some nasty emissions.

Natural treasure??? krabi...?

They should build a very big power plant as fast as posseble. This is much better for Krabi's invoirment.

Locals can have a decent job and education, tourism will be gone, so no more crap on the beaches, and marine life will be lef alone. After that Krabi can be upgraded, clean the whole province, get rid of criminals, wow .. Would be a great industrial province.

Naaah forget it, shall be as crappy as it is used to be. Lets thai- modify it.

No doubt tourism is putting pressure on the environment. But you believe it is only tourists creating the garbage? Thais don't throw garbage?

Ten years ago it was Prachubkhirkhan fighting this.Australia was going to build the plant if they bought the coal from them.

Nothing ever became of it.

Nobody wants power plants. They just want to flip the switch and. have cheap electric.

My Dad worked building plants and it takes more that a decade , closer to two have one come on line......Dealing with all the red tape.

The coal industry doesn't have a good track record in Thailand. It started with the lousy working conditions, then the allegations of pollution and then moved into allegations of wide scale corruption and murder.

Look up the history of Thai built coal fired power plant in Laos. Companies had their contracts voided, Laos has ignored international tribunal rulings and the Thai company involved wants to expand.

In respect to the violence and murder, who can forget the 2011 campaign of intimidation culminating in a savage murder of a village protest leader? 4 thugs were paid 150,000 baht by a Thai coal transport company to kill the man. The villagers were objecting to the coal shipment traffic in in Samut Sakhon. The situation was so bad that the governor had to temporarily suspend the operations of five coal companies in the province.

In 2010, the local government attempted to stop one company because of what it claimed was serious pollution. The company continued operation and it wasn't until 2013 that the Central Administrative Court ordered local authorities in Samut Sakhon province to shut down the operations of coal company Techni Team (Thailand) because it was "adversely affecting local people".

It is understandable why Thais have a distrust of the coal industry. Basic environmental safety and environmental controls that protect water and air are handled Thai style.

Edited by geriatrickid

Yes, coal is mined in Thailand. However, the coal will most likely come from Australia. China prefers to keep all of is energy resources to itself. Banpu is a major coal mining company which is heavily invested in coal fired power plants. Banpu now controls the former Australian coal company Centenial. The coal used isn't the best quality and is usually the high sulfur content.Thailand hasn't invested in the expensive "scriubber" technology to the same extent as some European and USA companies have and unfortunately, the end result are some nasty emissions.

Contrary to your claims, centennial coal has operations in the Sydney Basin coal fields which extend up to the Hunter Valley http://www.centennialcoal.com.au/Operations/OperationsList.aspx

Coal quality for this basin is vitrinite rich coals with a Sulphur content less than 1% and ash content less than 10%. - considered some of the best in the world. http://www.geo.tu-freiberg.de/oberseminar/os07_08/australien.pdf See page 10 of pdf.

Oh dear! Talk about throwing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch. 20 years in Hunter Valley power stations.

Edited by halloween

i remember a time share semi free stay in phuket... the resort had a big stinking whatever burning thing going on

i mentionned it, to the farang sale woman

that when i was on a holliday, i do not want to be reminded of home and wanted to breathe in fresh air :)

looooooooooooooooooooooooool

Ahem !, Since when has citizen opposition to a government plan ever deterred or even caused a ripple in

those plans ?. It is rumored that Japan/Singapore/S. Korea are covertly supporting the plan so it

drives even more tourists in their directions.

Contrary to your claims, centennial coal has operations in the Sydney Basin coal fields which extend up to the Hunter Valley http://www.centennialcoal.com.au/Operations/OperationsList.aspx

Coal quality for this basin is vitrinite rich coals with a Sulphur content less than 1% and ash content less than 10%. - considered some of the best in the world. http://www.geo.tu-freiberg.de/oberseminar/os07_08/australien.pdf See page 10 of pdf.

Oh dear! Talk about throwing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch. 20 years in Hunter Valley power stations.

I obviously was not explicit enough. The coal used by the power plants in Thailand. I wasn't referring to Australia. My error in expecting that you would read the comment in respect to Thailand as this is a thread about Thailand power plants and not Australian power plants.

I obviously was not explicit enough. The coal used by the power plants in Thailand. I wasn't referring to Australia. My error in expecting that you would read the comment in respect to Thailand as this is a thread about Thailand power plants and not Australian power plants.

Your post specifically stated that Banpu operates power stations in Thailand and controls Centennial coal in Australia. Centennial operations are in the Sydney Basin coal fields which do NOT produce low quality or high-sulphur coal. I made no mention of Australian power plants other than point out my experience with coal operations in that area (other than driving a taxi) and provided links to prove my veracity.

Would you do the same, to prove your claim that low quality coal is used and its source as obviously not the operating companies own mines?

NSW power stations burning Sydney Basin coal also do not use scrubber technology because it is simply not required for high quality low Sulphur coal.

Your post specifically stated that Banpu operates power stations in Thailand and controls Centennial coal in Australia. Centennial operations are in the Sydney Basin coal fields which do NOT produce low quality or high-sulphur coal. I made no mention of Australian power plants other than point out my experience with coal operations in that area (other than driving a taxi) and provided links to prove my veracity.

Would you do the same, to prove your claim that low quality coal is used and its source as obviously not the operating companies own mines?

NSW power stations burning Sydney Basin coal also do not use scrubber technology because it is simply not required for high quality low Sulphur coal.

How much clearer can I be, when I state that I was referring to Thailand coal, Thailand power plants and Thai management. I am not discussing the quality of Australian coal. Do you get it now?

At this time. the Mae Moh coal fired generating plant has a grim history with pollution, displacement of people and whole scale environmental destruction. This mine and its client power plant are famous for the damage that has occurred. Banpu is the largest coal producer in Thailand and it sources its coal from the Thai mine and its Indonesian mines. Satisfied now?

Or do you want to keep looking for something to nitpick about?

How much clearer can I be, when I state that I was referring to Thailand coal, Thailand power plants and Thai management. I am not discussing the quality of Australian coal. Do you get it now?

At this time. the Mae Moh coal fired generating plant has a grim history with pollution, displacement of people and whole scale environmental destruction. This mine and its client power plant are famous for the damage that has occurred. Banpu is the largest coal producer in Thailand and it sources its coal from the Thai mine and its Indonesian mines. Satisfied now?

Or do you want to keep looking for something to nitpick about?

If you referring only to Thai coal, why did you bother to mention their Oz operations? Why do you want to discuss lignite fired power stations in a thread about power stations that will certainly not burn lignite? Using worst case scenario generalisations to denigrate future projects not in the least similar is usually a sign of promoting some agenda.

Mae Moh power station and mine is owned and operated by EGAT. and has no connection to Banpu which operates a power station in Rayong. http://www.banpu.com/en_overview.php

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Mae_Moh_coal_mine

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Mae_Moh_coal_plant

I will continue to "nitpick" while you continue to post false data, and then try to cover up by further lies and obfuscation when challenged.