Renewing extension of stay ... Passport expires jan 16

Hi guys,

My first extension of stay based on marriage will expire 25 august 15.

My passport will expire in january16 so should I renew passport before applying for extension?

How can I renew my passport from thailand? I just called the consulate in bangkok, they said they cannot renew passport, I have to send it to the foreign affair ministry of my home country?!

It's this time of the year again!!!!!!!!!

You can get your extension on your current passport but it won't be good for a full year.

It will only be good until the expiration of your current passport and the remaining time (that would be a full year if you had a new passport) will not be transferable to your new passport.

Sounds like you might be running out of time to get a new passport now before your need for the extension.

If you get the extension on the current passport, you then transfer the current extension to the new passport when you do get it, but it will still only be good until the expiration of the OLD passport.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the swift replies.

Britdog I'm Maltese sorry for not mentioning before.

Thanks jing thing that confirmed what I thought. Ideally I should renew passport before extension to avoid having to renew extension again in jan. I'm not bothered paying 1900 again, it's the whole hassle! I'm not sure I have enough time to renew passport especially as the consul just told me there's nothing they can do. He said post my passport to the MFA in Malta. I'm sending them an email now to see what I really have to do.

Thanks again guys.

new passport before extension and you dont state nationality but most if not all passport renewals are done at the trendy building bangkok by appointment via e-mail

As far as I know only the UK has an office for getting passports at Trendy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the swift replies.

Britdog I'm Maltese sorry for not mentioning before.

Thanks jing thing that confirmed what I thought. Ideally I should renew passport before extension to avoid having to renew extension again in jan. I'm not bothered paying 1900 again, it's the whole hassle! I'm not sure I have enough time to renew passport especially as the consul just told me there's nothing they can do. He said post my passport to the MFA in Malta. I'm sending them an email now to see what I really have to do.

Thanks again guys.

Make very sure you actually have to send your passport as it is illegal to be in Thailand without it. Most countries take that into account for renewals but suspect your country may not even be aware of this requirement so make sure they know you are in Thailand and passport is required to be in your possession at all times. It probably would not cause issues as long as old passport is returned with new one and nothing lost - but there is some risk - especially if you are in a position where passport might be asked during period without.

The alternative would be to return to your country to obtain the new passport and return by showing both.

added to jingthing in jomtien immo they wouldnt give extension with less than 1 year remaining whether it nationwide or not idk but gl with your extension.

What kind of extension?

How much time was left on your old passport?

Your report conflicts with my understanding of current policies so I think this is important.

My current impression is that they WILL give such extensions but they will end on the expiration date of the passport.

For example, one year retirement extension application.

Passport expires in seven months.

Extension only for seven months.

Maybe there is a minimum amount of time left on the passport that they do require?

For example it would be odd to apply for an annual extension on a passport with only two months left on it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I have read now that in Pattaya to renew any type of extension you passport has to be valid for at least 6 months. http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf

Not sure if this is nationwide or not. If so, seems I'm screwed.

Lopburi thanks for making the point about having to be in possession of passport. I've made it clear in my email to the MFA. Travelling to Malta just for the passport isn't really an option due to work responsibilities.

• Like 1

I have read now that in Pattaya to renew any type of extension you passport has to be valid for at least 6 months. http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf

Not sure if this is nationwide or not. If so, seems I'm screwed.

Lopburi thanks for making the point about having to be in possession of passport. I've made it clear in my email to the MFA. Travelling to Malta just for the passport isn't really an option due to work responsibilities.

OK. Thanks. That makes a lot more sense than the worse case scenario of not doing it with anything under one year.

That info is not correct. There is no 6 month requirement to apply for an extension.any where.

The 6 month rule is only for applying for a visa at an embassy or consulate.

From this page on immigration website. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

"According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ). In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day."

• Like 1

Thanks for the further clarification, UJ.

I guess there is some confusion out there about that issue.

BTW -- I looked at the Pattaya City Expats Club website link and I didn't actually find the text saying what the other poster said it did. In any case, they are usually (but not always) an excellent source for Jomtien office specific enforcement matters.

No confusion on my part.

You can look everywhere you want on any official information and you will find no mention of 6 months being needed to apply for an extension.

I can recall posts where people had less than 6 months when they applied for an extension and got it but it was only valid up to the date their passport expired.

was tol'd when asked retirment extension with 8 months left on passport no you need 12 months validity and yes have seen posts or reports that immo would stamp upto expiry date and then add to new passport but better to ask as i did to get the full story from the horses mouth then no issues occur No doesnt mean yes.

There is a massive amount of miscommunication happening at immigration offices. It could have been they thought you were asking if you could get the full year on the old passport and were trying to be helpful to push towards a new passport where you COULD get the full year.

was tol'd when asked retirment extension with 8 months left on passport no you need 12 months validity and yes have seen posts or reports that immo would stamp upto expiry date and then add to new passport but better to ask as i did to get the full story from the horses mouth then no issues occur No doesnt mean yes.

I can imagine that if a person asked about it they would be told 12 months because that is what they would prefer. But if you went in to apply for the extension they would do it up to the date the passport expires.

hi guys thanks all for your replies, Ubonjoe you are bang on as usual.

I checked - they will issue the extension until the expiry date of the passport.

Renewing my passport is going to be a headache. after contacting the Maltese MFA, they replied that as they are now issuing only biometric passports, I have to apply in person. so it has to be done either in Malta or at the nearest embassy, which for me is Beijing!!! annoyed.gif