Going To Teach In China Or Other Options?

I have occationally been teaching in Thailand to keep myself occupied. I hold MA degree from a Scandinavian university and would like to get a full-time job here but there seems to be the same problems that riddle Thai educational industry like no work permits provided, iffy agreements and so on. I used to teach in my home country art related subjects like printing methods on professional level and sometimes as a class teacher. Our educational system in Scandinavia is different from English language ones but not much different regarding the level of professionalism, I suppose.

My encounters with Thai schools or other private schools here have been mostly always negative ones. The unwritten rule seems to be that they like to put all responsibility on you and provide little or no support regarding jumping the legal hoops. Not to mention students that in government schools seem to try to avoid learning at any price...with very little exceptions...those exceptions are very few and far apart. I like to feel that my efforts as a teacher are appreciated and that students attending classes have the intention to learn.

Now I have been offered a job in China with housing, sort of reasonable pay, tickets and visas included and the salary is in net so I know what I am looking for. The only thing is that I have never been to China and know very little of the everyday life. The decision has to be made in one month since the job would start 1st of September. I would really like a job in Thailand but if the only offers are iffy jobs with no legal paperwork done, my answer is no. Have tried to ask around but so far only part-time and no work visa offered which I refused. If anyone has something to offer can privately message me.

So, anyone been to China? Would like to hear practical advice.

Edited by onni4me

You might try the China Forum on "Dave's." I've been tempted, too. It looks like twice the pay, free apartment, and maybe not quite as much BS. If you need to work, go. Work a year or two, come back to Thailand and don't work, if you can get the right visa. People tend to paint China with the same brush. It's a huge, diversified country. Try to find some middle ground. You might not be able to get a job in the ideal city; but you won't have to take the worst one, either. It also appears there are quite a few jobs for "slackers," meaning 10-12 hours per week, and minimal office hours. That's a rare bird here, if working legally.

I have occationally been teaching in Thailand to keep myself occupied. I hold MA degree from a Scandinavian university and would like to get a full-time job here but there seems to be the same problems that riddle Thai educational industry like no work permits provided, iffy agreements and so on. I used to teach in my home country art related subjects like printing methods on professional level and sometimes as a class teacher. Our educational system in Scandinavia is different from English language ones but not much different regarding the level of professionalism, I suppose.

My encounters with Thai schools or other private schools here have been mostly always negative ones. The unwritten rule seems to be that they like to put all responsibility on you and provide little or no support regarding jumping the legal hoops. Not to mention students that in government schools seem to try to avoid learning at any price...with very little exceptions...those exceptions are very few and far apart. I like to feel that my efforts as a teacher are appreciated and that students attending classes have the intention to learn.

Now I have been offered a job in China with housing, sort of reasonable pay, tickets and visas included and the salary is in net so I know what I am looking for. The only thing is that I have never been to China and know very little of the everyday life. The decision has to be made in one month since the job would start 1st of September. I would really like a job in Thailand but if the only offers are iffy jobs with no legal paperwork done, my answer is no. Have tried to ask around but so far only part-time and no work visa offered which I refused. If anyone has something to offer can privately message me.

Your first sentence says you have been working, (illegally), part time with no work permit - yet at the end of your post, you say you are not willing to work like that. Make your mind up.

It is not the Thai educational industry that has a problem with visas/extensions/work permits, it is probably more down to the passport that you hold.

You might try the China Forum on "Dave's." I've been tempted, too. It looks like twice the pay, free apartment, and maybe not quite as much BS. If you need to work, go. Work a year or two, come back to Thailand and don't work, if you can get the right visa. People tend to paint China with the same brush. It's a huge, diversified country. Try to find some middle ground. You might not be able to get a job in the ideal city; but you won't have to take the worst one, either. It also appears there are quite a few jobs for "slackers," meaning 10-12 hours per week, and minimal office hours. That's a rare bird here, if working legally.

You are correct, china is a very diversified country. It would help if the OP stated which city or area the offer has come from.

If the priority is to develop a serious working career, then take the job offer in China over a continuation of the experience you have been getting in Thailand. What you might want to do is use your job in China as a springboard to learning to read/write/speak the Chinese language. This can be an important addition to your CV which could lead to opportunities further down the road in say 2/3 years time.

Your first sentence says you have been working, (illegally), part time with no work permit - yet at the end of your post, you say you are not willing to work like that. Make your mind up.

It is not the Thai educational industry that has a problem with visas/extensions/work permits, it is probably more down to the passport that you hold.

Whatever one tends to write here always gets a reply from a person like you.

I have been working also to an institute directly under the control of Thai government without a work permit/visa. Only paper I got was an APO letter where they had set the dates when I was supposed to be wherever I was supposed to be.

When asked (emailed) the institute about WP and so on got no answer...sent another email where I said I suppose everything's alright since no answer...later heard through a Thai friend working there they don't like to process the paperwork since it would give me certain rights and make them do something for their salary...they f.e. took my report made for an other company that I worked with, translated it into Thai and published as their own achievement...no wonder I didn't feel like working for them no more...

And this was one of the most respectable places here in LOS where I worked a short period. So, when I refer to difficulties getting all necessary done, I am not talking about MY unwillingness to go by the rules. I am talking about the Thai side that normally likes to go the easiest way meaning what costs them less money and sweat.

I worked illegally with a Thai teacher and was paid under the table. SO what? It was not the way I like but I was given no other options and she was happy, students were happy and I had something to do.

And what do you mean referring to my passport? I hold a degree from a recognized university. My background is clean and have years of experience, speak three languages fluently, three other passably. I see no problem holding a Scandinavian passport.

If the priority is to develop a serious working career, then take the job offer in China over a continuation of the experience you have been getting in Thailand. What you might want to do is use your job in China as a springboard to learning to read/write/speak the Chinese language. This can be an important addition to your CV which could lead to opportunities further down the road in say 2/3 years time.

Actually, what you say is exactly what I think.

The pay is not that great. I had a short visit to my native country and just can't do it there anymore. Pissing down rain most of the year when it's not freezing below zero...after been here over a decade just can't cope up with the environment anymore.

I am thinking of taking the position. They are rather slow with the paperwork but hope they get it sorted out.

Thanks for your post. Nice to see that someone has better input than correct other people's grammatical errors. whistling.gif

Actually, what you say is exactly what I think.

The pay is not that great. I had a short visit to my native country and just can't do it there anymore. Pissing down rain most of the year when it's not freezing below zero...after been here over a decade just can't cope up with the environment anymore.

I am thinking of taking the position. They are rather slow with the paperwork but hope they get it sorted out.

Thanks for your post. Nice to see that someone has better input than correct other people's grammatical errors. whistling.gif

Thanks. I don't know where exactly you will be working or what the conditions are (including the provided accommodation). At some point in the future you might want to check out options in HK. Also, despite the weather, it may be a better bet down the road to return home with your newly acquired Chinese language skills and get a job with a company that deals with China and the Far East. That way you get (longer term) a career and money to spend/save in a part of the world you like rather than drifting around the East with peanuts in your pocket and waking up one day having burned up your options.

Well, Good luck.. it is nice to have a change of location.

About 10 years, I taught in China for about 9 months and left. The work week was 6 days.. SAT until noon... Students.. well good and bad.. ADM people capable and fair, most.. the old guard, they could be a problem...

I enjoyed the new surrounding for a while..

It is a nice stop on the teaching journey.

whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I was contacted a few days ago, about a job in Chongqing. 100K THB per month and free apartment. No office hours, 20 teaching hours per week. A little research reveals that it is one of the 10 most polluted cities on Earth, and one of the "Three Furnaces" of China, which really couldn't be too good. Cost of living is low, beers are cheap...I've been on several long air journeys through PEK, and it's really pretty pleasant, while the Koreans seem to be mean and angry (nice airlines, though).

Edited by bangmai

I was contacted a few days ago, about a job in Chongqing. 100K THB per month and free apartment. No office hours, 20 teaching hours per week. A little research reveals that it is one of the 10 most polluted cities on Earth, and one of the "Three Furnaces" of China, which really couldn't be too good. Cost of living is low, beers are cheap...I've been on several long air journeys through PEK, and it's really pretty pleasant, while the Koreans seem to be mean and angry (nice airlines, though).

Language school?

Language school?

No, a private high school. Mathematics. They kind of want the world, qualifications wise, and here we are two weeks from the start of the school year, and they are more likely to get someone that fits their qualifications out of a genie bottle, than from a foreign teacher website.

Edited by bangmai

I'd never leave my family in Thailand and send them money. If it turns out that Thailand's changing in a way that it isn't worth to stay here anymore, I'll check and get my family to Europe until my retirement money comes in.

An American friend just left China after only two months. Not just the pollution would annoy me/////

My family is first priority. If I can't stay with them, I do not want to be like a Filipino and send money to my family, just because I make a few more bucks in China? I do have a few good paid job offers from China, but couldn't take my wife with me. Forget it then.

Sorry, just my own personal opinion.

Language school?

No, a private high school. Mathematics. They kind of want the world, qualifications wise, and here we are two weeks from the start of the school year, and they are more likely to get someone that fits their qualifications out of a genie bottle, than from a foreign teacher website.

Please do yourself a big favor and try to get in touch with people who work(ed) there. Maybe facebook?

Not all that's shimmering is gold.. wai2.gif

If you want a permanent teaching job in Thailand which provides a work permit,try the language school,AUA,I think it is. They employ full time English teachers and have a few branches in Thailand.

The students who enroll here actually want to study and class sizes are manageable .Their centers follow a particular curriculum and have the text books and resources you'll need.

Edited by Singharh

"Not all that's shimmering is gold.. wai2.gif"

Guessing you just made the above up, because it certainly is not a saying we use in the English speaking Western world.

"You can't polish a turd," might be more fitting. But, they would be hard pressed to be more dishonest, than the Thai school administrators, along with their pimp and whore party, affiliates.

I'd never leave my family in Thailand and send them money. If it turns out that Thailand's changing in a way that it isn't worth to stay here anymore, I'll check and get my family to Europe until my retirement money comes in.

An American friend just left China after only two months. Not just the pollution would annoy me/////

My family is first priority. If I can't stay with them, I do not want to be like a Filipino and send money to my family, just because I make a few more bucks in China? I do have a few good paid job offers from China, but couldn't take my wife with me. Forget it then.

Sorry, just my own personal opinion.

The priorities and opportunities of a family man are somewhat different to that of a single 20-something. However, having said that, short-term separation, if it assists a longer term career progression, might be better in the long run. Whether working in Mainland China fits into that equation is moot.