Secure parking in Nong Khai?

I intend to go to Vientiane for a 2 entry tourist visa. I live in Lampang so driving to Nong Khai rather than going by bus, is a reasonable alternative.

The only worry I have is whether I can get secure parking for 3-4 days in Nong Khai. Is this possible?

As PeeVee1st said, there is parking next to the border crossing on both sides of the road. Previously I have used it, although nowadays I drive across the border. The parking lots are right next to the border crossing complex and charge 40 Baht per day (this may have since changed).

On the other hand, if you were thinking of heading to Mae Sot, Tak province (the nearest border crossing from Lampang at 260km away) there is just one "official" parking lot, which is located 2km from the border at a hotel called Mimosa. They charge 100 Baht per day. Previously, the Ban Moei resort charged 50 Baht per day for parking, right next to the Thai immigration complex (just 50m away), but the owner has since stopped allowing it unless you also rent a room. On the positive side, the Mimosa resort offers free transfers and pickups from the border crossing and they offer more parking, and secured parking (which the Ban Moei resort didn't). I am pointing this out simply because Mae Sot is the closest border crossing to Lampang, just in case you need to do any visa runs in future.

• Like 1

Hi guys

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it very much, particularly the Google maps. Actually, I was only vaguely aware of the possibility of doing a run to Mae Sot. Pardon my ignorance :) but as I need to get a visa I was wondering whether there was an embassy there. Before asking this question, I tried to check out several Thai immigration websites but I couldn't find any info on this.

There is another factor here, my girlfriend wants to do some shopping in Vientiane, so that's likely to be a major influence on whether we go to Mae Sot or Vientiane :)

Also I hadn't thought about taking the car into Laos. Presumably no problems? It certainly would be pretty convenient. Any recommendations on suitable hotels?

I understand there is quite a bit of paperwork involved with taking vehicle into Lao. Then again I have never done as my truck is not paid off yet. I see plenty of vehicles in Udon/Nong Khai with either Lao or Thai stickers. When I used to pick somebody up at the border I would see plenty of vehicles coming and going while waiting. Warning, if you have a bunch of "stuff" in the back of your vehicle chances are you will face some scrutiny at one of the many checkpoints if they are active.

For 2 or 3 days it is really not worth the hassle of driving over...right hand side of the road as well. Lots of taxis of all shapes and sizes waiting on the Lao side to take you to Vientiane which by the way is a very pleasant place with very cheap Beer Lao.

The embassy in Myanmar is in Yangon which a long way from Mae Sot.. I think he thought you were just wanting to do a border hop for a new entry.

Yes, correct; Yangon is around 400km from Mae Sot and most people choose to fly to Yangon rather than go overland (especially if they're intending on heading there for a new Thai visa) however, going overland is fun too except when there's fighting (as was the case earlier this month on the roads connecting Myawady to the rest of the country).

Although I did read the OP's post correctly, I merely mentioned Mae Sot for next time as a border hop will undoubtedly become necessary. The secure parking situation there is unfortunately not good (apart from the one option I mentioned), but what I didn't mention was that if you go there just for a few hours and don't mind parking near the market or something, which you can do for free, there are plenty of options in that area, but they aren't recommended for parking for anything longer than just a few hours (and may not allow overnight parking anyway).

Nong Khai is of course a completely different story and is well set-up for short-term, long-term parking and also taking your car across the border.

Hi guys

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it very much, particularly the Google maps. Actually, I was only vaguely aware of the possibility of doing a run to Mae Sot. Pardon my ignorance smile.png but as I need to get a visa I was wondering whether there was an embassy there. Before asking this question, I tried to check out several Thai immigration websites but I couldn't find any info on this.

There is another factor here, my girlfriend wants to do some shopping in Vientiane, so that's likely to be a major influence on whether we go to Mae Sot or Vientiane smile.png

Also I hadn't thought about taking the car into Laos. Presumably no problems? It certainly would be pretty convenient. Any recommendations on suitable hotels?

If you want to be near the Thai embassy, try the Lao Golden Hotel, it's not that great but perfectly acceptable. Around 1000 Baht a night but you could try to bargain it down to 900 if the Thai manager is around, especially if intending on staying more than 1 night. However, it's not that central and a bit of a hike into the touristy part of the city.

Otherwise, if you want to be more centrally located you could try the Lane Xang Princess Hotel next to the morning market or the AV Hotel, which is located on Samsenthai road near the main tourist zone. Both are within walking distance of all the sights, with the former being closer to the Patuxai and a little closer to the Thai embassy consular section where you would be applying for your visa too.

I recently stayed at the brand new S-Park Design hotel, which is around halfway between the main tourist area and the airport, but it's not as conveniently located for those without a car or for heading to the embassy. But it's not that far away either, as long as you are OK with taking a tuk-tuk, which would probably take around 10-15 mins to reach the embassy.

As mentioned in my other reply, leave Mae Sot/Myawady for your border run in 3 months time as there's obviously no Thai consulate there and the Thai embassy in Yangon is much further away from the border than Vientiane.

I live in NongKhai, the parking at the border lots is 50b/day. I used to take my vehicle across, but crossing the border is a lot easier without it so don't take it any more. The traffic can be really bad, as far as the paperwork goes...if the vehicle is in your name it's not bad, if it's not then it's tough. It also helps to have someone who reads Thai.

I live in NongKhai, the parking at the border lots is 50b/day. I used to take my vehicle across, but crossing the border is a lot easier without it so don't take it any more. The traffic can be really bad, as far as the paperwork goes...if the vehicle is in your name it's not bad, if it's not then it's tough. It also helps to have someone who reads Thai.

It's actually quite easy to cross with a power of attorney authorizing you to take across someone else's car to Laos (the name(s) of the countries authorized must be specified on the letter).

However, the OP has gotten his answer and has already made it clear he doesn't intend on driving over.

And in any case, if we want to have a discussion about taking Thai cars to Laos, this is the wrong part of the forum for that. The Motor forum is a better place to discuss these things and in fact, at least three threads have discussed this topic recently over there.