Email from MS: You’ve reserved Windows 10 – what’s next?

ubonjoe

Got it this morning. Has this link included. http://view.email.microsoftemail.com/?j=fe9a17767463057c77&m=fed216717264067c&ls=fe201c797365057b701374&l=feb21c787c6c0c79&s=fdf31570726006757d14767d&jb=ff2e1c757665&ju=fe5b137571660d787417

Has more info and links that may be helpful to some of you.

When can I upgrade to Windows 10?

We want to give every customer a great upgrade experience, so we’re rolling it out in an organized way to manage high demand and to make sure that the upgrade is right for your device. After July 29, when Windows 10 is ready for your device, it will download in the background. You’ll then get a notification to schedule your upgrade right away or at another time that’s convenient for you.

I guess i am a stick in the mud, i get an operating system learn it, and if it is stable .. stick with it until truly obsolete.

I had NT until 4 years ago, and they will have to take Windows 7 from me forcibly.

Microsoft tends to shoot first and aim later, and treats their first waves of installs as test subjects for whom they honestly care noting about.

I am a 100% Windows / PC guy, but sometimes ... Microsoft is simply moronic because they can make the most simple things so difficult.

My primary frustration is when you do need help, and go to their site, they provide definitions to the problem, not solutions.

My favorite hair pulling event is when they glibly say, go to the (whatever) menu .. but do not tell you it is 5 layers into another menu.

In short .. don't do it. Wait until after Christmas and let the millions of others work the bugs out.

In short .. don't do it. Wait until after Christmas and let the millions of others work the bugs out.

This is what i will do. Don't want face unaccepted problems. By the way, I'm still happy with my genuine Windows 7.

I am also very happy with Win7x64. However, I want to know about win10. I downloaded and installed Virtualbox and Guest addons. I then installed Win7 again on the virtual box. I had no problem with activation, etc. I went online and downloaded a free win10 final developer ISO file. It is basically near the final release version. It has Edge Browser, etc. I setup then upgraded the now virtual win7 to win10. Basically, I cannot see where I have any use for it. The first thing I did was similar to the WIn8 experience, look for the underlying, familiar framework that allows me to see it as win7 and navigate. I have no use for apps, especially when they so far appear to be linked directly to Microsoft. In fact, I attempted to setup Cortana to establish whether the voice operations were okay and it will not allow me to proceed without logging in with a Hotmail account. Perhaps Apple basically has this same standard, it is just not so obvious.

I do not use Siri for this one reason and had hoped that Cortana would be better. As it is, every time I use the voice ops it will have a record of my every action. Am I the only one who sees this as a problem or am I just not setting it up correctly? In any event, I get the superficial sense win10 is snappier, the edge browser loads much faster than Firefox. IE was never a good browser, IMO. I just do not think win10 will be for me other than to remain on a virtual machine.

You can instal Ubuntu or Lubuntu as your OS for free. Microsoft is and always has been crap in terms of bootup time, due to all the fatware hanging off it. Internet Explorer is a virus/malware magnet. A triumph of marketing over substance.

This communication sent from a la

1 year decision time so read what others have had pitfalls with then decide as we get nearer to debut i keep saying i not want then 2 minutes later i want, am i turning into a woman or is it old age making me indecisive.

I just purchased a new notebook at Pantip about 6 weeks ago and has windows 8.1 . The design team should be sent to the Junta for attitude adjustment or to IS for water torture, what a piece of sxxx operating system . No wonder ther are giving 10 away for free.

Luckily Noy up at the Cowboy said she can fix for me if I buy her lady drink, should I believe her .? Is this little Issan wonder smarter than the Microsoft Techs ? I will buy drink and find out ,if she can't fix maybe one of her many friends can . I will report back when sober.

I just purchased a new notebook at Pantip about 6 weeks ago and has windows 8.1 . The design team should be sent to the Junta for attitude adjustment or to IS for water torture, what a piece of sxxx operating system . No wonder ther are giving 10 away for free.

Luckily Noy up at the Cowboy said she can fix for me if I buy her lady drink, should I believe her .? Is this little Issan wonder smarter than the Microsoft Techs ? I will buy drink and find out ,if she can't fix maybe one of her many friends can . I will report back when sober.

If she fixes it marry her. She is worth her weight in gold.

You can instal Ubuntu or Lubuntu as your OS for free. Microsoft is and always has been crap in terms of bootup time, due to all the fatware hanging off it. Internet Explorer is a virus/malware magnet. A triumph of marketing over substance.

This communication sent from a la

Internet Explorer is the malware target number 1 today, but within a year after all those free upgrades it'll be Win 10 + Edge which will be number 1.

IE is only a magnet because the installed base is so high, a lot of whom aren't upgrading to the latest versions/patch levels because they can't (legacy web apps in businesses, illegal copies which won't update) or won't (people still insisting on keeping XP). For example.

I guess i am a stick in the mud, i get an operating system learn it, and if it is stable .. stick with it until truly obsolete.

I had NT until 4 years ago, and they will have to take Windows 7 from me forcibly.

Microsoft tends to shoot first and aim later, and treats their first waves of installs as test subjects for whom they honestly care noting about.

I am a 100% Windows / PC guy, but sometimes ... Microsoft is simply moronic because they can make the most simple things so difficult.

My primary frustration is when you do need help, and go to their site, they provide definitions to the problem, not solutions.

My favorite hair pulling event is when they glibly say, go to the (whatever) menu .. but do not tell you it is 5 layers into another menu.

text book projecting.

Some of this might be relevant if there hadn't been millions of people testing it since last year and sending feedback via the integrated feedback program. I think it's safe to say Microsoft have learned from the past and are genuinely listening to their users.

I've been using it on several machines for months without any problems.

This reminds me, many years ago Sxxx had a service center on the ground floor of the building on the corner of Silom and Convent road, next to the CP building.

The up front staff, all well educated but nothing to do with electronics, all with zero experience in anything couldn't begin to answer the questions from customers. There was also a strong arrogance from these employees.

But there was one young guy would could quickly and politely analyze the faulty products brought in for repairs and make a quick and accurate diagnosis and he knew the service centre procedures backwards and he spoke some English.

He was the security guard.

It didn't take long for a Thai female business woman / customer (my friend) to notice him and take him away and give him a senior position in her company and he soon became a critical member of her staff.

She'll either install Classic Shell or Windows 7. Don't need to be very smart to do that.

Can anyone currently running Windows 10 confirm that XP will still run on a virtual machine?

Been using Quicken since 1993 and do not want to lose the data or have to move it to another application.

Cheers

Can anyone currently running Windows 10 confirm that XP will still run on a virtual machine?

Been using Quicken since 1993 and do not want to lose the data or have to move it to another application.

Cheers

Whether an 'XP Guest' continues to run in a virtual environment is dependent on the paravirtual application you're running, not the 'Host' OS.

In the virtual environment the booting OS and applications see only hardware and rudimentary firmware.

If something in Windows 10 'broke' that particular paravirtual application then it would be up to the authors or company maintaining the paravirtual application to patch or update it.

Win10, for the most part, is still based on Win 7 and Win 8.x, which is why most Win7/8 apps remain compatible.

I would suggest haunting the forums of your paravirtual application. See what's being said about Win 10 Hosts with XP Guests.

For XP MODE or earlier compatibility options with Win10, take a look here

answers.microsoft.com | MikeBrady29 asked on June 2, 2015

Q.

I use XP Mode in Windows 7 to run a couple of 16-bit games/simulation programs. Apparently, XP Mode did not run in Windows 8. How do I deal with that in Windows 10? I still need access to that software, but it will not run in 64-bit Windows.

A.

XP Mode was only for Windows 7 Pro-Enterprise-Ultimate.

A.

Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode is not supported [natively] on Windows 10.

Your options are to not upgrade if your software is important to you.

Migrate to Hyper-V or Oracle VirtualBox and install Windows XP in one of those Hypervisors and use your software there. This would require providing your own Windows XP license.

A.

DOS and 16-bit Windows software: I now have Windows 3.11 working in DOSBox. The really old stuff works well in DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/). Beware of the online/javascript version - too slow, though it's interesting; get the actual (32-bit) software for running under Windows. It has a form of DOS built in, that was good enough to install Win 3.1/3.11 with few problems.

But, open up the link and take a look at the last answer for more info on options for running DOS and 16/32bit Win 95-XP

Edited by RichCor

You can install VMWare in Windows 10 then install Windows XP in VMWare. Another option is install VMWare in Windows 10 then install Windows 7 under VMware and install Microsoft Windows XP Mode under virtual Windows 7. So lots of options of getting your Quicken to work in Windows 10 environment.

I quite like the Windows 10 interface and find that it starts in under 60 seconds.

BTW, Windows and NT used to be separate operating systems until Microsft merged them in Win 7. The latest Win 10 preview has nice additions to the UI such as a task bar that runs at the bottom of the screen

. When you click on the Windows icon have have the option to call up a list of programs or click on three lines at the left top to bring up settings and power switches. I've reserved Win 10 upgrades for all of my computers. IMHO, Win 10 is much better than Win 7 or Win 8.1. I think that that the problem of adoption of the new OS is the period of confusion that ensues whenever you start something new. Controls are locaed in differnt places and there is a steep learnung curve at the beginning, I think that those who stick at it will come to love Win 10 as much as they presently love XP or Win 7.

Good luck to all new adopters.

it all depends on what you want to do. if you are like the majority of people who don't understand it at all and don't particularly want to then run microsoft windows 7, 8, 10 or whatever but if you want to code something then run a linux operating system like ubuntu, debian, fedora or whatever which are all open source meaning that you can change things. you can do some of the same on windows. try it and then you will understand the attraction of linux.

A number of us already did.

"Email from MS"

What is this about?

How does MS get your email address?

What are the contents of the email?

I registered with MS when I installed Windows and set up an account that included my email address. The reservation process for Windows 10 started with an email from them.

Click the link I posted in the OP and that gives you the contents of the email.

Some of this might be relevant if there hadn't been millions of people testing it since last year and sending feedback via the integrated feedback program. I think it's safe to say Microsoft have learned from the past and are genuinely listening to their users.

I've been using it on several machines for months without any problems.

In a risk reward world for those of us who use computers for work, e mail etc .. and all is well. Are aware that over the past years we have installed hundreds of security patches and upgrades...

What is so much better now, that is lacking in the past?

i mean, yes, of course, if you have time to fiddle around over the next year and help Microsoft tweak this .. enjoy. i have work to do, and do not want to discover the hard way ... WOOPS, we did not think of that!

Oh, dear boy, you believe this ... why??? "I think it's safe to say Microsoft have learned from the past"

In short, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

text book projecting.

"text book projecting."

This is one of the most interesting comments I have ever seen, and ironically hypocritical.

I believe that most would agree that when we share our opinions about restaurants, movies, vacation resorts, ... pretty much anything really .. we are "projecting" our life's experience and preferences.

Your reply is odd, and it is very "2015" to take the criticism of a computer operating system and the methodology to support it .. personally ... unless you are Bill Gates?

By the way, please tell me why I have received a steady stream of security and performance upgrades over the past 4 years...wasn't Windows 7 bullet proof and ready to go?

So "Bill" .. sorry to offend you sharing an experience .. oh, about 50,000,000 people can relate to.

Try and have a better day, Yes?

text book projecting.

"text book projecting."

This is one of the most interesting comments I have ever seen, and ironically hypocritical.

I believe that most would agree that when we share our opinions about restaurants, movies, vacation resorts, ... pretty much anything really .. we are "projecting" our life's experience and preferences.

Your reply is odd, and it is very "2015" to take the criticism of a computer operating system and the methodology to support it .. personally ... unless you are Bill Gates?

By the way, please tell me why I have received a steady stream of security and performance upgrades over the past 4 years...wasn't Windows 7 bullet proof and ready to go?

So "Bill" .. sorry to offend you sharing an experience .. oh, about 50,000,000 people can relate to.

Try and have a better day, Yes?

In case you haven't noticed, everything gets patched.

Windows more than others because it is the hackers primary target.

It's a fact of life.

This week it was announced that remote connection to cars is possible and they are going to demonstrate how they can take control of a car while on the road and control steering, brakes, etc.

There is no such thing as unhackable software.

i mean, yes, of course, if you have time to fiddle around over the next year and help Microsoft tweak this .. enjoy.

You've obviously missed the point that it's been "fiddled around" with by millions for the past six months.

That's why they were comfortable announcing the release date.

And us "fiddlers" get it first, so if there are any deal breakers you will know about it soon enough.

With the launch of Windows 10 less than a week away, here’s what you can expect to find when the operating system launches on July 29. It’s not quite as simple as “Windows 10 will be available that day.”

Windows Insiders (read: Windows 10 preview testers) will get first dibs when Windows 10 launches on July 29, while everyone else will see a staggered roll out over the following days.