Buddhist Lent day declared National No Drinking Day

Lite Beer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5 precepts that a Buddhist layman should follow...

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from the destruction of life.

2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from taking that which is not given.

3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from sexual misconduct.

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from falsehood.

5. Suramerayamajjapamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from intoxicants that cloud the mind and cause carelessness.

That's very informative, thank you for posting.

From what it written in the above ..... I see no mention of specific dates. Does that then suggest ... Buddhist followers should abstain from killing, stealing, extramarital sex, lies and intoxicants ... on a regular basis?

If that's the case, they should forget the whole thing because most Thai Buddhist can't keep that up for more than a few hours. I daren't talk about the so-called "monks and abbots".

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from the destruction of life.

2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from taking that which is not given.

3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from sexual misconduct.

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from falsehood.

5. Suramerayamajjapamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from intoxicants that cloud the mind and cause carelessness.

You could use these to show the hypocrisy of all Thai leaders but since general happiness is being so vocal....

1. Destruction of life, yeah the Thai army totally HAVEN'T been known for that against their own people down the years...

2. Taken what is not given? So a military coup goes against this one then

3. I don't think there is any Thai elite anywhere not guilty of this one

4. Ahh so lying then? "I will not do a coup, I will not become pm, there will be elections this year"

5. Ok but I am pretty sure the Buddha never went around ENFORCING this on people. The brilliant sage sat under a tree and imparted knowledge that his followers took up and acted on themselves, not because he ordered them to.

You need to practice what you preach a bit more general. Plus mom and pop stores will sell booze regardless.

yes... like if anyone is going to give a #%@&!!!

buy the days before or from small village stores...

everything is a farce here! hypocrisy at its best!

start to really fight people driving drunk, leave others alone sink in their own $#¥%.

everyone in the "outside world" has been through this, and eventually grown up...

Alcohol is a big problem. A day off drinking, with a national holiday is not a bad idea.

But it shouldn't be a 'religious' issue. The Buddha never ordered people to do anything. He made suggestions, and rules for those wanting to join him in the monkhood. But he never gave commandments.

Curiously, it seems in early Buddhism there were only 4 precepts, not 5. The precept that was missing was the drink/drugs precept - that seems to have been added in later (probably within the Buddha's lifetime)

If someone cannot take one day off from alcohol in a week, then they have a problem.

What about those people that abstain all the time unless it's a long weekend holiday and they ACTUALLY want to have a holiday from work!

Alcohol is a big problem. A day off drinking, with a national holiday is not a bad idea.

But it shouldn't be a 'religious' issue. The Buddha never ordered people to do anything. He made suggestions, and rules for those wanting to join him in the monkhood. But he never gave commandments.

Curiously, it seems in early Buddhism there were only 4 precepts, not 5. The precept that was missing was the drink/drugs precept - that seems to have been added in later (probably within the Buddha's lifetime)

If someone cannot take one day off from alcohol in a week, then they have a problem.

Here we go

I wondered how long it would be before the self rightuous, holier than thou goody two shoes began realing out their "if you can't do without...." I'm a born and bred killjoy phrases.

Those of us with a cognitive ability beyond that of an ameoba, may think a one time a week drink, for some people, may just happen to be on a Friday, and something they look forward to while working all week. And then again there those with about as much empathy as a rattle snake.

You are in Thailand so shouldn't you follow Thai customs and rules???????????????????????? Or do you think you are so special that you can do what ever you like??

Uhm, did you read what Field Marshall Prayut said?

He said that it was not necessary for non-Buddhists to also observe the five precepts as guidance in the pursuit of their daily life.

Read first, and do try to relax. But not with an adult beverage.

Here we go

I wondered how long it would be before the self rightuous, holier than thou goody two shoes began realing out their "if you can't do without...." I'm a born and bred killjoy phrases.

Those of us with a cognitive ability beyond that of an ameoba, may think a one time a week drink, for some people, may just happen to be on a Friday, and something they look forward to while working all week. And then again there those with about as much empathy as a rattle snake.

The truth sure hurts.

What about those people that abstain all the time unless it's a long weekend holiday and they ACTUALLY want to have a holiday from work!

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reply.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reply.

Not a surprise!

It's about people who DON'T drink everyday but who do like a drink when they have a long weekend holiday, ie: people who work in Thailand.

I am not qualified or experienced enough to comment about anyone's frequency of drinking or their "problem" as it relates to behaviors.

Those that can, must possess impeccable educational credentials on the subject. They must know everyone who drinks, their drinking habits and have a detailed dossier on each individual which outlines the minutiae of their lives.

This seems a gargantuan undertaking and is certainly beyond this poor mortals abilities.

oh yea? 100% Thais I know break the first one as they are not vegetarian and kill 'by proxy' when they eat meat etc. (except on 'special' days lol). They justify this as "I did not do it personally" lol what hypocrites!

as for the others.... same, same

Is it cold up there ? Way up there on that high mount, looking down on all those hypocritical Thais. You are obviously way too good for them, far, far superior. whistling.gif

(sorry readers for the over-the-top sarcasm, but this is a special case)

OK I get it. But as a country promoting globalisation and tourism. Should that stop others from having a drink? In fact, I would ay that tourists would want a drink as they are here on holiday. I am not a Bhuddist so shouild that prevent me from having a drinkl. In fact a muslim chooses not to eat Pork and rightly so, its there right. But you can still buy Pork everyday, rightly so everyones right IMHO..

I would like to say this to the current government. Not all tourist, quality or otherwise, comes to Thailand to see the Temples. Some like to have a drink. Simple fact. So if you want your revenue to increase, Don't make sweeping laws that affect those, who really dont care for their liberties being impeeched.

Most Thais will have a drink. Its a long holiday. The posters above who claim that we should adjust to Thai culture, have no notion how Thais are. The only Thais abiding to the no alcohol rule, abstain for 90 days and not just 1. They do this because they want to, not because someone orders them.

Pfft, there will be drinking, we all know that, at least most of us.

As stated, all mom & pop shops will sell, 7eleven, Family mart and big stores like Tesco, Macro, Tops etc will of course follow the rules.

There will be lots of places along Khaosan Rd and similar that will sell alcohol for sure. Perhaps not the main bars, but many of the restaurants, guesthouses and more "hidden" spot seems to never close. (Remember the curfew? Well that seemed to hold out for a little more than 1 night for some places in that area..), so I'm sure there will be drinking in Bangkok, Chiang Mai might be a little more quiet, police really seems to enjoy closing down everything there at night on regular basis..

The south will of course go strong on many islands where money talks louder than anything. I can't imagine some backpacker places like Had rin to go completely booze free, there will always be a way around everything over there.

Not that I really care, I would be happy not to drink those days, but we are going home to the outskirts of Sisaket for the long weekend, and I just know that I will hear "Ow bpek neung mai? Eek bpek neung dee gwa" over and over while the Hong Tong and Lao Khao pours out liquid headache.. I haven't seen a military in our Ampeur ever, and I have never seen anyone care about national laws or bans out in Khmer-land area. And I feel very certain it will be a similar situation in many other villages and smaller towns around the country..

Edited by banglassie

Most Thais will have a drink. Its a long holiday. The posters above who claim that we should adjust to Thai culture, have no notion how Thais are. The only Thais abiding to the no alcohol rule, abstain for 90 days and not just 1. They do this because they want to, not because someone orders them.

Well said.

I have met and got to know well many Thai people over the past 10 years, from all walks of life. I have never heard one of them say that they are a devout follower of Buddhism and adhere to the laws of the Buddhist faith. Most of them eat meat and drink alcohol and the same people go to the temple at times just as a lot of Catholics go to church on Sundays and break all the laws in the Bible the other six days.

OK I get it. But as a country promoting globalisation and tourism. Should that stop others from having a drink? In fact, I would ay that tourists would want a drink as they are here on holiday. I am not a Bhuddist so shouild that prevent me from having a drinkl. In fact a muslim chooses not to eat Pork and rightly so, its there right. But you can still buy Pork everyday, rightly so everyones right IMHO..

I would like to say this to the current government. Not all tourist, quality or otherwise, comes to Thailand to see the Temples. Some like to have a drink. Simple fact. So if you want your revenue to increase, Don't make sweeping laws that affect those, who really dont care for their liberties being impeeched.

........................"Should that stop others from having a drink?".............................

I don't think this government, or previous governments, and actually saying you are not allowed to drink, per se. They are closing bars and not allowing liquor outlets to sell booze, but anyone who has spent any time in Thailand knows there are ways around it. Thai people who do drink on these alcohol free days always seem to have some beers and whiskey, perhaps purchased the day before. They just keep it out of sight of the cops and don't advertise it.

It may surprise you that Thailand is not the only country that has alcohol bans. Luckily it is only on certain day, not 365 days of the year.

There are 16 countries with either full or partial alcohol bans and in the USA there are 10 states that allow dry counties and an additional 15 states which are "partially dry", having some alcohol restrictions.

I don't drink much as it is but it seems this government is constantly trying to find ways to reduce the amount of drinking in the country. It almost seems as if they're, oh you know, forcing their thoughts on alcohol upon everyone else. I suppose that's par for the course here though.

There is another reason to ponder; As the Illegal manufacture, distribution and sale of illegal whiskey (Lao Khao in general) is never mentioned by the Junta and is controlled by the Thai Police Mafia and elite, this is a way to get the younger people drinking it more also. This illegal industry is worth billions to these corrupt SOB's. 3 years ago In my village the going price per month to sell it was 6,000 Baht, to manufacture and distribute, buckets more. The police turn up every month openly in uniform, in a police vehicle and collect.

The cost to the health system alone from this poison would be alarmingly staggering if figures were released, yet this two faced leadership would have you believe otherwise.

Have a happpy National no drinking day Generals, and if you get time, think about how many of your fellow citizens are going to an early grave because of your arrogant refusal to not only close this industry down but also attempt to cover it up.

You're complaining about a Thai national holiday whilst living in Thailand? Get over yourself.

If you were in Australia and Muslim or Buddhist you'd still have Anzac Day closing shops half a day and Christmas Day closing all shops from trading whether christian or not unless licensed and you'd have trouble finding a bar open on easter Sunday before allowed times.

If you really want to drink head to full moon party koh phagnan. There's no way they will obey the ruling as the families that run that island along with koh tao won't stop their money spinning full moon tourism.

Same will probably go for bangla road phuket and anywhere else foreign tourism rates as main or only industry.

You're complaining about a Thai national holiday whilst living in Thailand? Get over yourself.

I know quite some Thais in my family complaining about the No Drinking Day. And they live in Thailand too!

Some pop and mom shops are selling, but risk hefty fines. Believe me, a lot of Thais find these rules as ridiculous as the foreigners living here and do vent their frustrations on the Thai forums.

As I stated before, devote Buddhists are supposed to abstain from alcohol for 90 days starting on the Lent day. My Thai uncle is the only one in my family doing this and is quite funny to see that in the weeks before the Lent day he drinks more than usual.