Thai govt uses special power to stop youth drinking, racing

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now the racers can race to the nearest outlet that sells beer and return, winner is first back.

It gets a tad harder as the night goes on as the racers get more and more pissed.

Hell they had alcohol bans on Sunday where I lived in Oz, but travelers could buy, so we used to drive to the outskirts get tanked at the pub and drive home.

Another load of verbal b*llshit that will never be enforced. Thai parents already have a legal responsibility for their children up to the age of 20. Problem is most ignore it and many parents have a mental age below that of a 20 year old child anyway, or at least act as if they do.

I thought this was a load of BS but this is being invoked under Article 44 which means it is serious stuff and the government ain't messing about. Much more serious than the usual BS 'crackdowns' we've heard about in the past.

And - there are already signs going up in 7/11 stores located close to schools and universities which say they will no longer be selling alcohol.

So the students walk 100 m further and buy what they want and then they go to a back alley and buy drugs and back at the apartment they have sex with their teenage gf. The more you ban something the more the youth will want to experiment with it. What about an educational programme that address there real issues. But then again for such a programme you need to think, plan and implement, its just easier to ban something.

Police and state officials can temporarily confiscate cars or motorcycles suspected of being raced and can arrest suspected racers and spectators.

Notice "can temporarily" which is another way of saying : "Diddly squat is gonna happen to racers ..." coffee1.gif

Another useless crackdown ordered by useless people in charge ... facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Will they measure to the property line or the door?

An important point as if from the property line two of my friends might find their premises fall within 300 meters but now the extra law from the blue which says ' near ' but without a definition has them worried and since they're foreigners could well be the first in the area to get a ' visit '.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

"Sansern said a recent ban on alcohol sales within 300 meters (feet) of educational institutes should be strictly followed"

So is it optional? 300 metres OR 300 feet?

Once again, staggered by the feeble standard of editing in the "media" here

How about offering alternative entertainment. Youth centers, sports and rec centers, community centers, skate bowls etc. Nothing. Community and social awareness does not go beyond the Wat. It is bureaucratic negligence that this occurs. The powers that be, DO NOT CARE. They have no social conscience, and simply have no experience or concern in the betterment of the community. /RANT

Your rant is a very good and pertinent one. My Thai professor neighbour laments 'There's no quality of life here'. No. There isn't.

Thailand gets tough on youth drinking

Moves against illegal street racing, alcohol sale near schools, unis worry F&B players

BANGKOK: — The Thai government has issued tough nationwide restrictions on illegal street racing and the sale of alcohol near educational institutions as part of a crackdown on youth drinking.

The new rules are fuelling anxiety among Bangkok's restaurant and bar owners, who fear the restrictions will devastate entertainment areas that make the capital a tourist magnet and big money spinner.

An order published in the Royal Gazette on Thursday targets illegal racing and threatens to close down any establishment that sells alcohol near schools and universities or nearby dormitories.

It does not mention the boundary of these prohibited zones.

The order, which takes immediate effect, also threatens to revoke a bar or club's operating licence if it sells alcohol to minors under the age of 20, or if it sells alcohol beyond licensed hours.

Thai govt uses special power to stop youth drinking, racing

If the powerful consitution **0which must not be named is serious about this,... they should just shutdown the internet, the way today's youth communicate these days.... ph34r.png ph34r.png ph34r.png

"Sansern said a recent ban on alcohol sales within 300 meters (feet) of educational institutes should be strictly followed"

So is it optional? 300 metres OR 300 feet?

Once again, staggered by the feeble standard of editing in the "media" here

I have read the order signed by General Prayut and it definitely states 300metres and no mention of feet. So no confusion, it is 300metres. The question is why is Patpong exempted as the only "special entertainment center" despite being within 300Metres of a Girls Convent School?

I look forward to the PM explaining this on his weekly address to the Thai people. I'm sure they too will express great happiness, and will engage in spontaneous celebrations of the wisdom of the Prime Minister. Perhaps I will learn some new words in Thai.

The alcohol ban seems grossly unfair to me. Children will still get booze if they want it, be it from an outlet 100m from a school or 400m. Most 7/11's etc are in towns, villages with families who wish to buy there alcohol from an outlet close to home. Now they will not be able to do so if there is a school in the vicinity.

As for age limits, I used to own an off licence in UK and under age drinkers would remain just out of sight, asking adults to buy alcohol or tobacco products for them as they had been refused service in the shop. Sooner or later somebody would make the purchase for them. Were any laws broken? No.

The point, once again, is that you can make laws but what is the point if they cannot be enforced?

Instead of victimising SOME shops, bars, restaurants the real culprits (the children) should be addressed. How? Education and stronger law enforcement with tough penalties.

You can't fault this idiot for his good intentions. But the execution of his plan? Yeah, when pigs fly. I work in a school less than 300 m from a 7-ELEVEN in a popular tourist area. I can't imagine them closing their alcohol sales.

I have read the order signed by General Prayut and it definitely states 300metres and no mention of feet. So no confusion, it is 300metres. The question is why is Patpong exempted as the only "special entertainment center" despite being within 300Metres of a Girls Convent School?

It's a Catch 22 situation. If the girls can't earn their tuition, the school will close, and Patpong would be legal again.

On the darkside, where Khao Talo meets Khao Noi, is a proliferation of bars, karaoke and bar/restaurants, within 300m or so of the temple school, Wat Bunsampan. They cater to the many moobans around the district, with some having been established for a long time. I watch with interest.

On the darkside, where Khao Talo meets Khao Noi, is a proliferation of bars, karaoke and bar/restaurants, within 300m or so of the temple school, Wat Bunsampan. They cater to the many moobans around the district, with some having been established for a long time. I watch with interest.

Is Kik Bar still there? Haven't been up that way in a while but I know where you are talking about.

Dammit.....can't remember the name of that terrible open air beer bar up that way on Khao Talo, but my neighbor loved it & we'd go swill a few & tip the hogs a bit & get a bar massage, play some pool.

The gals would see me drive by and not stop, and be calling my name at the tops of their lungs.

Luckily I never had the wifey with me when that happened. It DID however result in me changing my name from "Bob" to "Joe" when I'm in a bar & I tell them all I'm from Greenland.

And this is the astounding legacy from the Junta, constitution to tackle illegal street racing and alcohol sales near schools and universities. Didnt they do well. This lot will go down in history as true hero's of the state

If restaurants and hotels are exempt, why not simply claim your bar, nightclub, karaoke house, massage parlor, or go-go establishment is a "restaurant"? Just add a couple of light appetizers to your menu, if you don't serve them already, and voila!

7/11 not being able to sell alcohol? I guess I can see that as plausible. But Big C or Villa Market? I can't imagine them without their immense beer/liquor/wine departments. And what about just plain liquor stores, whose entire business is based solely on alcohol sales? What about King Power Duty Free near the Pullman Hotel?

I don't go out drinking habitually, but when I get together with friends, we have a favorite place near Nana, which for now is simply a bar (no food). I sure hope it doesn't close. It's a Bangkok institution, having been there for decades! And I can't imagine going to see some ladies in Soi Cowboy and not being able to have a drink (or for that matter, being practically forced to buy the lady a drink). I can't imagine going to an upscale, DJ-and-light-show type dance club and not getting bottle service.

And what happens if the law becomes a permanent fixture, when New Year's Eve rolls around? Or next Songkhran? Yeah, good luck with that.

I guess the Dear General/PM does not read my post !

I have said in many post, "You can not legislate self discipline" and this will not stop young people from consuming alcohol. The few places I go on occasion, Country Road and Long Gun, on Cowboy do not cater to the young people. Almost all the customers are older Farang like me.

Now what I would like to see is, enforce the No-Smoking Law in the Country Road. Most Farang will go outside to smoke or sit outside. The problem is mostly the Thai's and some Chinese who frequent the place.

How are they goimng to stop "Street Racing", every time the Traffic Light goes green the Motorcycle Race is on !! While we are on the subject of Motorcycles, Please Dear General, get rid of those loud or no muffler motorcycles, Tuk Tuks too !!

Then work on the motorized Boom Boom Boxes !!

Damn, My list just keeps getting longer !!

Edited by gchurch259