Things that worries me the most about moving to Thailand some day

Phatbeets

I'm a 32 yo French/German guy having a good life here in Germany but eventually wife and myself will move to Thailand in a couple of years.

We are together since 8 years and married since 6 and in all honesty infidelity was and will never be a concern. I aint wasting my marriage for a quick f**ck.

Village life is not for me and finding a job (before moving) in bkk should be no problem as I work in the Pharmaceutical industry since 10 years.

Money evasion to the village would be limited. Been 11x to SEA and have seen a lot in Thailand so I know Thailand well and the Thai mentality.

This year we have a pretty hot summer here in Europe and recently I noticed that with those temperatures the only thing I like to do after work is rocking the beer garden

with friends. We have delicious craft beer here and all that but with those temperatures I'm not doing any other hobby like music or sport. I'm not drinking like an animal but still...

So basically I'm kind of scarred to turn in to an old fat alcoholic fart way too early.

Also drinking ~every day during holidays is one thing but I don't want to die of a liver cirrhosis in TH if you see what I mean.

With those temperatures all year long and the booze being sold everywhere - How do you guys deal with that?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* Thing

Other things would be the euro turning to complete shit

And heavy thunderstorms. I had a couple in Bkk and they scare the shit out of me.

Thunder was so strong/loud I thought the whole house would get roasted by some lightning.

If you work here than it should be not a problem.no employer likes his staff pissed at work...though I limit myself to two beers on working days...off days- different story...

Btw you're either French or German...

To be honest cc with the way he uses English i am not sure he is German or a garlic eating surrender monkey

If you work here than it should be not a problem.no employer likes his staff pissed at work...though I limit myself to two beers on working days...off days- different story...

To be honest cc with the way he uses English i am not sure he is German or a garlic eating surrender monkey

I'd second that also .

Bravo old chap.

Sure...If you do like to drink...and cannot get busy with work or hobbies....having a lousy life here can make you an alcoholic, but the biggest problem may be if you like women. Even into a very happy marriage....will be too many opportunities for an active foreigner to get into cheating..and troubles.

If you are the sort of person that is going to become an alchoholic old fart ,it does not matter where you live ,you will become one , mind you my drinking is becoming a problem ,the wife and i shared a can of chang again last night ,thats the second one this monththumbsup.gif

If you expect to have a fulltime job and live in the city (away from the red light) I would not expect this to be a specific problem in Thailand.

Finish work, retire to Thailand, bored to death out in the sticks or emblazed by redlight, no work, no hobby: that's a different situation.

I finished work, retired to Thailand, live in the sticks tongue.png

One of the main hobbies: reading and posting on this forum biggrin.png

Two large beers a day (in the evening).

The liver is still working well.

Self discipline is necessary!

If this is the biggest worry you are ready to go (come).

If you expect to have a fulltime job and live in the city (away from the red light) I would not expect this to be a specific problem in Thailand.

Finish work, retire to Thailand, bored to death out in the sticks or emblazed by redlight, no work, no hobby: that's a different situation.

Two large beers every day, (presuming you mean each bottle is 640ml of a 5% strength) is 6.4 UK units of alcohol per day: assuming seven days a week, that makes 44.8 units a week.

The UK guidelines for a safe level of drinking are 21 units per week for men, with the advisory that you go at least two consecutive days a week without drinking.

Not saying this as a criticism, just pointing out that current UK views on adverse health effects of alcohol would class that level of drinking as" heavy", ie more than twice the recommended " safe" level. Of course other developed countries have different recommendation levels, both higher and lower, suggesting hard and fast evidence for "safe" levels is lacking. Looking at all current western countries' recommendations suggests an average of around 30 per week is probably OK.

Boredom coupled with hot weather and lots of free time does tend to increase any existing propensity to drink, which I admit I do have. The way I control it is write down every unit I drink. I deliberately limit myself to that 30 units a week, and when I get to that point I stop drinking for long enough to bring the weekly consumption average down to 30 again. This means always getting at least three to four consecutive non drinking days in a row-another heath benefit.

It's a bit obsessive but it works for my temperament: when you can see the spreadsheet in front of you it's hard to pretend to yourself that you're not overdoing it.

Self control is how many of us deal with that problem, if you don't have self control you shouldn't come here, you'll need it for many aspects of life here.

Well that's obviously the best answer I can get overthought I was looking for more details about how you avoid drinking too regularly.

What outdoor sport do guys do? I would hate to register to a gym center just because of the AC.

Nope I have both nationalities its not common but during a short period it was possible.

2 Beers a day during the week sounds right down my alley and I guess this still OK right?

More people limit them-self to 2 Beers a day?

Soutpeel must be mad cause he obviously is the kind of useless drunk f**cktard with a fat gut that I don't want to be.

partington that's interesting but it sounds like a little too much management.

The main motivation for me to come to Thailand is to enjoy the second part of my life even more than I would here

and this includes some kind of "laissez faire".

I think taking a day off every second day is an achievable plan and I hope I will able to stick to it.

I also agree with NickJ.

Cheers.

• Beside my state pension I Pay in 6 different private pensions since starting working 10 years ago. I already own my condo.
  • This post is about my health
  • Like I already wrote as a business analyst in the pharmaceutical industry I believe I could find a decent job in bkk in just about a couple of weeks.
  • I have no kids.

any other smart comments?

My company delivers large MES projects and process automation.

All those are doing business in Thailand and are or were our customers

Pfizer

Sanofi

GlaxoSmithKline

Merck and

Novartis

I worked and still work for 3 of those companies in long term projects.

"Altogether, there are 714 pharmaceutical companies with operations in Thailand. Almost 80 percent are Thai companies.

Leading Thai drug manufacturers include Greater Pharma, Siam Pharmaceutical, Biolab and Thai Meiji.
The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), under the Ministry of Public Health (MPH), is another major manufacturer.

It produces about 300 pharmaceutical products, many of which are sold through public hospitals"

Its a discussion board right?

Are there only great intellectual discussion threads on the front page?

Im not an alcoholic and my self control is not that bad as I cold turkey stopped smoking a while ago

but I thought that it was a legit topic and made this post as I was curious to hear about the routine

of others. No big deal imo.

Self control is how many of us deal with that problem, if you don't have self control you shouldn't come here, you'll need it for many aspects of life here.

Well that's obviously the best answer I can get overthought I was looking for more details about how you avoid drinking too regularly.

What outdoor sport do guys do? I would hate to register to a gym center just because of the AC.

Nope I have both nationalities its not common but during a short period it was possible.

2 Beers a day during the week sounds right down my alley and I guess this still OK right?

More people limit them-self to 2 Beers a day?

Soutpeel must be mad cause he obviously is the kind of useless drunk f**cktard with a fat gut that I don't want to be.

Wrong.Soutie is a hard working and pleasant chap including the natural inborn dislike of Frenchs therefore state that you are German and don't mention the French part...just kidding( I mean the second part)

• Beside my state pension I Pay in 6 different private pensions since starting working 10 years ago. I already own my condo.
  • This post is about my health
  • Like I already wrote as a business analyst in the pharmaceutical industry I believe I could find a decent job in bkk in just about a couple of weeks.
  • I have no kids.

any other smart comments?

</p>

Listen to Bikey or his mate Cypress Hill( should be here soon) that's are wise folks....

There is A good chance that you wouldn't be able to work at A Pharmacy.It would be taking A job away from A Thai.Theres very few jobs that the Thai government will allow A foreigner to do. You might do like many farang so do.Go to The Mall hangout and drink coffee.

Two large beers every day, (presuming you mean each bottle is 640ml of a 5% strength) is 6.4 UK units of alcohol per day: assuming seven days a week, that makes 44.8 units a week.

The UK guidelines for a safe level of drinking are 21 units per week for men, with the advisory that you go at least two consecutive days a week without drinking.

Not saying this as a criticism, just pointing out that current UK views on adverse health effects of alcohol would class that level of drinking as" heavy", ie more than twice the recommended " safe" level. Of course other developed countries have different recommendation levels, both higher and lower, suggesting hard and fast evidence for "safe" levels is lacking. Looking at all current western countries' recommendations suggests an average of around 30 per week is probably OK.

Boredom coupled with hot weather and lots of free time does tend to increase any existing propensity to drink, which I admit I do have. The way I control it is write down every unit I drink. I deliberately limit myself to that 30 units a week, and when I get to that point I stop drinking for long enough to bring the weekly consumption average down to 30 again. This means always getting at least three to four consecutive non drinking days in a row-another heath benefit.

It's a bit obsessive but it works for my temperament: when you can see the spreadsheet in front of you it's hard to pretend to yourself that you're not overdoing it.

At the house all our time is spent outside in the shade. Going to the store for a couple of beers to drink at home is just so easy. Then folks stop by and I pour a glass for them. They stay for awhile so of course we get a few more. I stay in Thailand for 2 months and I go back to sea where I drink very little. It's the atmosphere and weather of Thailand that makes having a beer so agreeable. I understand when I stay here permamently I'll have to curb my beer intake.

Archived