Opinion: The need for police on Phuket's streets

Lite Beer

Opinion: The need for police on Phuket's streets
The Phuket News

1437794802_1-org.jpg

The need for obvious police presence on Phuket's busiest tourist street is paramount.

PHUKET: This week’s story on the incredible lack of police presence on one of the busiest tourist streets in Phuket, which is one of the busiest tourist provinces in the country, beggars belief.

Not only were uniformed police not present with expat volunteers on patrol, but also the one officer stationed at the police box each night is often not there simply because he has to conduct security checks alone along three kilometres of the Patong beachfront. (See story here.)

Police on Phuket know by now that personal safety is paramount.

We’ve all seen and heard it time and again in publicity stunts of masses of police out in force at the start of each tourism high season – of all places, on Soi Bangla – for without tourists feeling that they are safe here, Phuket and the rest of Thailand can kiss their tourism industry goodbye.

This fear of an international image that Thailand is not safe to travel to likely even sparked the debacle that became the police “investigation” into the world-famous Koh Tao murders.

Meanwhile, there are many unruly brawls in Patong bars that go unreported. Fold into this the number sex attacks, which are infamous for not being reported due to the very nature of the assault, and we’re left to guess what else is going on under the cloak of silence.

On Col Pongphichan’s side is the plain fact that nearly all of the violent attacks even reported by The Phuket News do not happen in the resort town. They happen elsewhere, either in or around Phuket Town or in darker areas at night in residential areas, with most of them stemming from personal conflicts.

This may indicate that Patong is in fact a lot safer than people might think. Perhaps the hordes of tourist families who travel to Patong has made the town a “family fun” version of its former self. Maybe. But it is not for the police to risk the safety of the public on this guess.

Col Pongphichan did not address this issue. He also did not mention the number of officers at his disposal. Just one officer for that police box, at that location, on a Friday night? Dumbfounding.

What is obvious from the incident that shown this issue into sharp relief is that goons are willing to snub the law in Patong, and willing to threaten, intimidate or harm volunteers doing a policeman’s job for him – for free – even if they are wearing uniforms.

Some police presence is needed on Soi Bangla at all times, even if it is just a plastic dummy fitted with high-resolution CCTV cameras and a sign saying: “We are watching you.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/opinion-the-need-for-police-on-phukets-streets-53349.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-26

Thailand will never be safe for tourists since Thailand simply don't care what happens to tourists - Thailand will only start to care when the wallet gets empty ... They will scratch their head and wonder why its so empty here - a place like Patong will be a ghost town in a few years gigglem.gif

Actually, I'm surprised the "insurgents" down south haven't taken their show on the road.

Can you imagine the hysteria and panic they could cause in places such as Phuket, Pattaya and BKK?

Phuket and Pattaya would become ghost towns in no time at all.

Quote "Some police presence is needed on Soi Bangla at all times, even if it is just a plastic dummy fitted with high-resolution CCTV cameras and a sign saying: “We are watching you.”" ...... is there a difference between the 'real' police and the dummies ?

Plenty of Five - O in plain clothes around Bangla and in the main clubs between midnight to 3am if you know who to look out for, common knowledge to any regulars who frequent such places, as for uniform types, they normally have a stroll along the drag 3/4 times through out the evening, head huncho with 2/3 Thai BIBs and 2 tourist volunteers in tow (usually)

I think, from what I have seen, Thai police are notoriously lazy. This comes at the expense of public safety. I wonder what they think their job really is? Seriously. I would like to know what they think about their job.

it is a miracle that thailand has not seen a major terrorist attack against Westerners considering the incompetance of the police force. the police would be running in the opposite direction of a gun man.

You can be sure they"re on their way as here on Samui there are daily attacks on lone farangs (myself included) besides the Central Festival bombing where the five perpetrators in three vehicles were all found to come from the South. Their aim is to hurt the government by hitting the tourist industry. My answer would be to hire and train 50,000 Thai female police to supplement the inefficient males. I know they (females) have the ability as I have seen them leaping from C130's in Sattahip in combat gear !