Thai Tv News Reporting Since The Coup

samran

I've been watching the news all day today, mainly channel 11 and ITV as well as BBC and CNN when they don't block the Thai related stories "due to sun-spots" :o

Alhough the news tonight was quick to report that everything is business as usual (BOT governor saying the baht didn't tank, Airport opening as schedualled), I get the sense...and it is only a sense, that the reporting is probably on balance pretty unbiased. There seemed to be cautious, yet matter of fact discussion of last nights events on one of the C11 talk shows that I watched.

Now I am sure that all the TV stations are being monitored and the stories censored in some cases, and perhaps my political biases are showing through anyway, but I would have expected things to be a lot worse reporting wise on the first day after the coup.

What do you guys think?

Censorship - come on why won't they allow coverage of thaskin?? Smth seems a bit off I'm afraid.

True, they won't allow his mug on TV, but from what I can see on BBC and CNN and the offshore newspapers, he has gone underground basically. If I was him I'd be taking my story to the international media, to press my case. But he hasn't seemed to have done that.

Censorship - come on why won't they allow coverage of thaskin?? Smth seems a bit off I'm afraid.

True, they won't allow his mug on TV, but from what I can see on BBC and CNN and the offshore newspapers, he has gone underground basically. If I was him I'd be taking my story to the international media, to press my case. But he hasn't seemed to have done that.

Regrouping and plotting his next moves I'd imagine. :o

I've been watching the news all day today, mainly channel 11 and ITV as well as BBC and CNN when they don't block the Thai related stories "due to sun-spots" :D

What do you guys think?

I think everyone is just taking it one step at a time. I was told I was needed at work tomorrow ant there would be security-a-plenty (army) so it will be interesting.

Personally I don't blame any of the media outlets for being tentative.

As a side note, there will be "Sun Outages" this month, something to do with the position of the sattelite and the angle of the sun etc. "Sun Outages" are normally only a few minutes though, maybe the sun is stronger in some places than others :o

I've been watching the news all day today, mainly channel 11 and ITV as well as BBC and CNN when they don't block the Thai related stories "due to sun-spots" :D

What do you guys think?

I think everyone is just taking it one step at a time. I was told I was needed at work tomorrow ant there would be security-a-plenty (army) so it will be interesting.

Personally I don't blame any of the media outlets for being tentative.

As a side note, there will be "Sun Outages" this month, something to do with the position of the sattelite and the angle of the sun etc. "Sun Outages" are normally only a few minutes though, maybe the sun is stronger in some places than others :o

Always come at top of the news hours as well......funny that.

Regrouping and plotting his next moves I'd imagine. :o

In a Thai restaurant in Chapel Market, if the reported sighting on another thread is to be believed. But then I thought I saw Thaksin in Oxford Street last week, before going to the UN!

But seriously, there's been no comment, that I recall on TV, on the reporting in the press abroad. Most in the UK seems to have the tone " coup, eh -- tut tut ". I agree at the moment, but the responses surely need to be more constructive.

I found a report in the Financial Times by Amy Kazmin which seems very sound (without my having particular knowledge), and the website has many other links, but further access needs registration and payment. An article in the Guardian (free on their website) by Jonathan Steele (a columnist I normally respect) was a bit sniffy, and even more so was an article in the Times by Bronwen Maddox (free on website? - I don't know). I don't feel I'm in a position to say much very objectively, but perhaps those who are would care to comment on foreign journalists' responses, and even public responses of Government ministers. Perhaps the latter are waiting for the Prime Minister to be appointed, and see what happens then. I've seen no reports yet of recognition of the new régime.