Turkey calls NATO talks on IS and PKK

webfact

Turkey calls for NATO meeting to discuss security threats
By SUZAN FRASER

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey on Sunday called for a meeting of its NATO allies to discuss threats to its security and its airstrikes targeting Islamic State militants in Syria and Kurdish rebels in Iraq.

The move came as Turkey's state-run media reported that Turkish F-16 jets again took off from the country's southeastern Diyarbakir air base to hit Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK targets across the border in northern Iraq.

There was no immediate confirmation of the report by TRT television, which came hours after authorities said PKK militants detonated a car-bomb near Diyarbakir, killing two soldiers and wounding four others.

NATO announced that its decision-making body, the North Atlantic Council, will convene Tuesday after Ankara invoked the alliance's Article 4, which allows member states to request a meeting if they feel their territorial integrity or security is under threat.

The Turkish Foreign Ministry said Turkey would inform allies about the airstrikes which followed an IS suicide bombing near Turkey's border with Syria that left 32 people dead, and an IS attack on Turkish forces, which killed a soldier.

Turkey requested the meeting, which includes ambassadors of all 28 member countries, "in view of the seriousness of the situation after the heinous terrorist attacks in recent days," NATO said.

NATO itself is not involved in operations against the Islamic State group, although many of its members are. As an alliance, however, NATO is committed to helping defend Turkey.

Turkey has simultaneously bombed Islamic State group positions near its border with Syria and Kurdish insurgents in northern Iraq. It has also carried out widespread police operations against suspected Kurdish and IS militants and other outlawed groups inside Turkey. Hundreds of people have been detained.

Tensions flared with the Kurds following the IS suicide bombing, as Kurdish groups blamed the government for not doing enough to prevent IS operations. On Wednesday, PKK claimed responsibility for the killing of two policemen in the Kurdish majority city of Sanliurfa.

PKK has said Turkey's airstrikes likely spell the end of a cease-fire announced in 2013.

The PKK has fought Turkey for autonomy for Kurds in a conflict that has claimed tens of thousands of lives since 1984. The Kurds are an ethnic group with their own language living in a region spanning present-day Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Iran and Armenia.

The car bomb exploded on a road in the town of Lice as a vehicle carrying military police officers was traveling to intervene against Kurds who had blocked a main intersection and set cars on fire. The military said a large-scale operation was underway to capture the attackers.

The European Union's foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, expressed support for Turkey's efforts against terrorism, including the IS group, in a telephone conversation with Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu but also urged Turkey to keep the peace process with the Kurds "alive and on track."

Similarly, the German government said Chancellor Angela Merkel spoke by phone Sunday with Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu and assured him of "Germany's solidarity and support in the fight against terrorism."

She also "appealed not to give up the peace process with the Kurds, but to stick to it despite all the difficulties," a government statement said.

A statement from Davutoglu's office said the Turkish leader for his part, told Merkel that Turkey would take all measures needed to fight terrorism and would resume cross border raids when deemed necessary while continuing "to take steps toward a (Kurdish) settlement and democratization."

Late Saturday, the White House said Turkey has the right to defend itself against attacks by Kurdish rebels. Spokesman Alistair Baskey strongly condemned recent attacks by the PKK, which the U.S. has designated a terrorist group, and said the PKK should renounce terrorism and resume talks with Turkey's government.

But Baskey also said both sides should avoid violence and pursue de-escalation.

Authorities banned a peace rally, scheduled for Sunday in Istanbul to denounce this week's suicide bombing, on grounds that it may be used by outlawed groups for "provocative" acts. Organizers instead read out a brief statement to a crowd of some 1,000 who dispersed peacefully.

In another Istanbul neighborhood, police clashed with demonstrators protesting the death Friday of a woman suspected of being a member of the outlawed leftist DHKP-C. Officials said the woman was killed in a gunbattle with police during the government crackdown on terror groups.

Protesters hurled bottles, rocks and firebombs at police and a policeman died in hospital after being shot as he entered a building to arrest some of the demonstrators, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
___

Associated Press writers John-Thor Dahlburg in Brussels, Geir Moulson in Berlin and Josh Lederman and Darlene Superville in Washington contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-27

I think Turkey would be wise to put the Kurds on a back-burner, or even try to forge an agreement. The Kurds are a force against ISIS, which is a bigger threat.

Israel, too, should be assisting whoever is fighting ISIS.

But then...the matter is so complex, with layer upon layer of complexity....sometimes I think the only way forward is for the UN to go in in force, draw lines on a map, and say, "Right, no more fighting! This is Turkey, this is Kurdistan, This is Syria under a democratic government, this is Iraq under a democratic government, this is Lebanon, this is Palestine, this is Israel, and that's that, no ifs or buts".

Oh, "...and this is the worlds biggest mass grave consisting of ISIS fighters".

Edited by Seastallion

I think Turkey would be wise to put the Kurds on a back-burner, or even try to forge an agreement. The Kurds are a force against ISIS, which is a bigger threat.

But then...the matter is so complex, with layer upon layer of complexity....sometimes I think the only way forward is for the UN to go in in force, draw lines on a map, and say, "Right, no more fighting! This is Turkey, this is Kurdistan, This is Syria under a democratic government, this is Iraq under a democratic government, this is Lebanon, this is Palestine, this is Israel, and that's that, no ifs or buts".

The Turks have been playing a double game going easy on ISIS to the extent of ignoring fighters crossing the Turkish border to join them. The belief that my enemy's enemy is my friend has backfired on Turkey after the recent terrorist attack there. It will be interesting to see whether NATO respond in concert or in a piecemeal Country by Country manner.

P.S Israel are already helping Jordan fight ISIS but for obvious reasons neither of them will want this publicizing much.

P.P.S After the stunning UN success taking over the Palestine mandate I'm not sure their establishing any new borders is a good idea.

Edited by Steely Dan

At risk of being spat on by many members here:

Like it or not, - problems of Middle East will not be solved without Russia joining efforts of

NATO, US, Turkey etc. even Israel... Believe it or not!

Actually I can not see why it is so far excluded? Just because it will make some Obama look piss weak?

Edited by ABCer

Like it or not, - problems of Middle East will not be solved without Russia joining efforts of

Actually I can not see why it is so far excluded? Just because it will make some Obama look piss weak?

Yeah...sort of what I was saying too, but it needs to be "the world" (UN with teeth) doing the spanking.

I dont think Obama is piss weak,he got elected to keep the USA out of more conflicts.Let the middle east burn,let them sort out their own problems...boots on the ground did n't work before,why should it this time.

And burn it will...they have all forgotten Israel for the moment but i think at some stage it will be Israel's turn.

Getting rid of sadaam hussein,assad,ghadaffi was a mistake,but it would have happened eventually anyway as the arab youth through the internet and social media see what they are missing out on(freedom from religion through education and opportunity) and it will render the koran obsolete.ISIS is mullah's last hurrah.

The Turks have been playing a double game going easy on ISIS to the extent of ignoring fighters crossing the Turkish border to join them. The belief that my enemy's enemy is my friend has backfired on Turkey after the recent terrorist attack there. It will be interesting to see whether NATO respond in concert or in a piecemeal Country by Country manner.

P.S Israel are already helping Jordan fight ISIS but for obvious reasons neither of them will want this publicizing much.

P.P.S After the stunning UN success taking over the Palestine mandate I'm not sure their establishing any new borders is a good idea.

Of course you wouldn't....because a Palestinian state would be mandated and established.

But if the UN grew some balls, all this strife could be reduced considerably. From the Black Sea to the Arabian Gulf to the Mediterranean.

Thanks W, for destabilizing the region. Mission not Accomplished! (murderous nut bag).

The usual anti-American clap-trap. The Kurds were there long before there was a US to blame. The PKK were around long before W. was President.

It was outsiders going in and drawing lines on maps that caused our modern days issues in the first place! I recommend understanding the Treaty of Versailles after WWI by reading the book Paris, 1919.

Of course, that's just the catalyst "modern" reason for the current political situation and doesn't account for the previous 2000 years of bitter tribal warfare in the region.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. But as long as Russia can continue to profit from arms sales to dictators (who were the ones that used their UN veto to stop Syrian intervention all the time selling billions of $$s worth of arms to the country's government), then nothing will happen.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. But as long as Russia can continue to profit from arms sales to dictators (who were the ones that used their UN veto to stop Syrian intervention all the time selling billions of $$s worth of arms to the country's government), then nothing will happen.

Please! Let us not get into this AGAIN!

Every country seeks and begets profits.

Every country sells arms.

Many countries give the arms for free to obtain profit in the form of influence.

This includes Russia and US.

Right as we speak US intends to give money to Iran to buy arms. From Russia, from US, from China, etc.

And centrifuges. And Ovens to reduce U-oxides. And triggering devices.

These can and will be sold with pleasure by any of: ... list of many countries.

And what does this have to do with exclusion of Russian SOB from solution of ME problem?

I like them not more than you. But the Reality is - no solution can be enforced without them!

Strike ISIS ... then appease ISIS with Kurdish strikes.

Is there any doubt Turkey has been assisting ISIS? .... leaky borders going both directions .... inaction .... never any condemnation ... foreign fighters and teenage girls crossing the border with ease...

I do not think supplies and ammunition have been getting to ISIS over the Iranian or Jordanian border.

I am no rocket scientist but I do know 1+1=2.

H-E-L-L-O NATO! Are you awake?

Strike ISIS ... then appease ISIS with Kurdish strikes.

Is there any doubt Turkey has been assisting ISIS? .... leaky borders going both directions .... inaction .... never any condemnation ... foreign fighters and teenage girls crossing the border with ease...

I do not think supplies and ammunition have been getting to ISIS over the Iranian or Jordanian border.

I am no rocket scientist but I do know 1+1=2.

H-E-L-L-O NATO! Are you awake?

Nato are pussies..............and they know it.

Please! Let us not get into this AGAIN!

Every country seeks and begets profits.

Every country sells arms.

Many countries give the arms for free to obtain profit in the form of influence.

This includes Russia and US.

Right as we speak US intends to give money to Iran to buy arms. From Russia, from US, from China, etc.

And centrifuges. And Ovens to reduce U-oxides. And triggering devices.

These can and will be sold with pleasure by any of: ... list of many countries.

And what does this have to do with exclusion of Russian SOB from solution of ME problem?

I like them not more than you. But the Reality is - no solution can be enforced without them!

OK, fair statements. I was under the belief that Russia was excluding itself from interventions in the ME? (and, due to my news-stream being Western based, for reasons I believe are purely profit motivated - direct sales - as opposed to other governments trying to gain market share, etc. - I agree they're all profit motivated in some way). Nobody has ever tried going in with out Russia (via the UN), but Russia has never stepped forward to offer help and has actually used its security council veto multiple times to prevent anyone from helping.

Look what happens when we don't actually help countries or actually repress them - WWI saw Germany severely punished for the entire war (rather than helped to rebuild) and the people turned to extremism philosophy leading to another world war. A proxy war was fought in Afghanistan for generations and only ended up incubating Al Qaeda (which I remind people is so ingrained into the culture to be considered a "legitimate" political party there). We ignored 30 years of brutal racial war in Sri Lanka which ended up "inventing" and successfully exporting the idea of the suicide bomber. We walked away from Somalia and Al Shabab is now spreading across northern Africa. We were prevented form going into Syria for years, as 100s of thousands died, and now ISIS/Daesh have a foot hold with global reach thanks to technology. Not helping people today just leads to more trouble tomorrow.

Edited by DirtyDan