Second Scotland referendum 'inevitable'

webfact

Salmond says another Scottish independence vote 'inevitable'

LONDON (AP) — The former first minister of Scotland says a second referendum on Scottish independence is "inevitable."

Legislator Alex Salmond told BBC Sunday that the British government has not followed through on post-referendum promises to give Scotland more powers.

He also said the planned referendum on Britain's status within the European Union is galvanizing the independence movement, as is resistance to welfare cuts and austerity programs imposed by the government.

He said the timing of a future referendum is in the hands of First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

Salmond led the pro-independence forces in September's vote, when Scottish voters opted to remain part of the United Kingdom.

He then stepped down as Scottish National Party leader but later won election to Parliament.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-27

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point of Scottish independence if they are just going to join the EU anyway?

Hardly independence if they just become a colony of the EU. And joining the EU would undoubtedly require them to join the Euro. Is that really an attractive proposition? You would have to be insane to join the Euro.

If they can go down the Iceland route of independence then I would applaud it, but otherwise they are simply jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

What is the point of Scottish independence if they are just going to join the EU anyway?

Hardly independence if they just become a colony of the EU. And joining the EU would undoubtedly require them to join the Euro. Is that really an attractive proposition? You would have to be insane to join the Euro.

If they can go down the Iceland route of independence then I would applaud it, but otherwise they are simply jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Have to agree with you 100%.

Independence but remain a member of the EU. What a joke.

Never one to accept democracy when it does not fit in with his own ambitions for Scotland I would have expected no less.

His resignation after his failure and the previous result, which showed his politics and ambitions were not in accordance with the majority wishes of the people he feels he speaks for was short lived!

I think you are all jumping the gun somewhat. He was asked whether he thought another referendum could be called - at some undefined point in the future - and he stated his thoughts that it was an inevitability, but a 'question of timing'.

Have any of you seen a timetable? I doubt it very much, but the fact remains that MANY scots feel that the referendum debate has not been properly put to bed. Therefore, it doesn't take the likes of Mystic Meg to suggest that it will pop up again.

No matter how binding you think the 2014 referendum was, the fact remains that almost half of Scots want to break up the UK. Unless our government can do something to change that (and certainly neither Westminster nor the Labour party seem inclined to deviate from business as usual), then the separatists are only going to grow in strength and voice.

It is somewhat ironic that one of the many scare tactics used by the No campaign during the referendum was that Scotland would need to leave and reapply for EU membership which, according to Darling etc, would take years and likely be vetoed; now we are being told 'leave the UK and you will just be another EU vassal state'.

Edited by RuamRudy

Last time I wanted the Scots to remain united with the rest of us, but it seems the SNP wont be happy till their going it alone. I hope they leave this time and it might stop them whinging.

I seem to recall that Before the referendum, A Salmonds stated they in the event of a no vote, there Should not be another attempt for a generation, meaning 30-35 yrs

Last time I wanted the Scots to remain united with the rest of us, but it seems the SNP wont be happy till their going it alone. I hope they leave this time and it might stop them whinging.

I seem to recall that Before the referendum, A Salmonds stated they in the event of a no vote, there Should not be another attempt for a generation, meaning 30-35 yrs

He was the leader of the SNP at that time; now he is merely another MP. He doesn't speak as leader of the SNP and he doesn't speak for Scotland.

The current leader of the SNP stated more recently that if there was a 'material change' in circumstances, that may be cause to consider another referendum. The UK pulling out of the EU against the wishes of the majority of Scots may be seen as sufficient a material change to trigger another referendum.

It's ok. The Irish didn't gain independence on the first go round either.

No, it took them about 800 years, then when the Irish War of Independence finished in 1921, it took until 1949 before it became a Republic.

That is why I'm ashamed to be Scottish, the Irish fought and died for their independence, the Scots could not even sign a piece of paper for theirs.

I think you might just have something there Teatree.

Have to agree with you 100%.

Independence but remain a member of the EU. What a joke.

I understand Jock, I don't know what is worse, being under Brussels or Britain.

The only hope in the future would have been voting UKIP, now I think it is too late for that.

He was the leader of the SNP at that time; now he is merely another MP. He doesn't speak as leader of the SNP and he doesn't speak for Scotland.

The current leader of the SNP stated more recently that if there was a 'material change' in circumstances, that may be cause to consider another referendum. The UK pulling out of the EU against the wishes of the majority of Scots may be seen as sufficient a material change to trigger another referendum.

I wonder if the majority of Scots would want to stay with the EU, anyone who does is off their head.

I wonder if the majority of Scots would want to stay with the EU, anyone who does is off their head.

I said before the Independence referendum, that 2 questions should have been dealt with.

1. Scotland to become Independent.

2. An Independent Scotland to be part of the EU.

If this had been dealt with properly. I believe it would have been a landslide for Independence, and a landslide for out of the EU.

The Political Elite knew this, and as the SNP are committed to the EU. They were never going to ask the question.

Can't we just give them the Orkneys or something and then build a fence?

Well, there is form there - the Blair government annexed a large part of the Scottish North sea and claimed it as English (but we spotted it so we will be taking it back when we leave...).

Well, there is form there - the Blair government annexed a large part of the Scottish North sea and claimed it as English (but we spotted it so we will be taking it back when we leave...).

Would that be Scotsman Tony WMD Blair?

Regarding the Orkneys and the Shetland isle,am I correct in thinking they only became part of Scotland in the 1500. Just a few hundred years after Edinburgh

Ceased to be part of Northumbria.

Regarding the Orkneys and the Shetland isle,am I correct in thinking they only became part of Scotland in the 1500. Just a few hundred years after Edinburgh

How far back do you want to go? Maybe we should go back to Roman times - Hadrian's wall? During the referendum there were plenty of Northern English who seemed enthusiastic about joining an independent Scotland.

Tony Blair may have been born in Edinburgh but he is as Scottish as the Duke of Edinburgh. That said, we do have our fair share of people we would rather not have.

How far back do you want to go? Maybe we should go back to Roman times - Hadrian's wall? During the referendum there were plenty of Northern English who seemed enthusiastic about joining an independent Scotland.

Tony Blair may have been born in Edinburgh but he is as Scottish as the Duke of Edinburgh. That said, we do have our fair share of people we would rather not have.

Amongst those many people would you also include Alex Salmond, who the now disgraced and fellow Scotsman Lord Sewell described as a silly pompously prat?

and didn't the people of the Shetlands and Orkneys talk about becoming independent from Scotland if the people of Scotland had voted yes?.

p.s. and leave us Welsh out of the independence talks, it's absolutely pointless. I don't live in the UK anymore (funnily enough I live in Thailand ..) but having free prescriptions for everyone in Wales is ridiculous when English tax payers are paying for them and they have to pay for their prescriptions. we can all say bad things about the UK but it must be doing something right because it's not just immigrants queuing up in Calais to get there, professionals from all over Europe move to the UK because there are better job prospects and a better future for their families.

Amongst those many people would you also include Alex Salmond, who the now disgraced and fellow Scotsman Lord Sewell described as a silly pompously prat?

You are wide of the mark with Salmond; whilst he is, no doubt, a divisive character, he is certainly very popular throughout Scotland and widely respected as a formidable parliamentarian.

Is Sewel actually Scottish? I am unsure, but his accent (from the scandal tapes) suggests a home counties upbringing. Possibly he was just sent to boarding school in England, which would definitely explain his attire on the the front pages of the red tops this morning.

However we can short circuit your list of 'disgraceful' Scotsment by me stating unequivocally that we are not without our idiots.

and didn't the people of the Shetlands and Orkneys talk about becoming independent from Scotland if the people of Scotland had voted yes?.

p.s. and leave us Welsh out of the independence talks, it's absolutely pointless. I don't live in the UK anymore (funnily enough I live in Thailand ..) but having free prescriptions for everyone in Wales is ridiculous when English tax payers are paying for them and they have to pay for their prescriptions. we can all say bad things about the UK but it must be doing something right because it's not just immigrants queuing up in Calais to get there, professionals from all over Europe move to the UK because there are better job prospects and a better future for their families.

Without a doubt, some of them suggested it - independence was, sadly, not universally popular. By the same token, some people from the North of England proposed joining an independent Scotland. How do you think that would have gone down south of the border?

As for Wales, nobody mentioned it...