Unconventional schools in CM?

Kunjay

As I have my own education curriculum set out for my son, part of that would be to go to a conventional public Thai school for either 2 days a week or just a few hrs a day if possible.

Are there any schools or education programs that would facilitate this in CM?

As I have my own education curriculum set out for my son, part of that would be to go to a conventional public Thai school for either 2 days a week or just a few hrs a day if possible.

What age / level would this be?

My gut feel is that this would be very difficult/impossible: you rightly refer to it as a conventional public Thai school; those are indeed conventional and not overly likely to get very far out of the box/experimental.

You could perhaps try for an after-class study: as many parents work until 5pm at least, many schools will offer some sort of additional class/program until that time, after regular classes end at 3:45-4pm or so. You could try for that, mostly at private Thai schools though. Although the private schools also follow the standard Thai public curriculum so it's not terribly different in the overall education experience from what you're looking for.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks Winnie, my son is only 7 weeks old but as you can see I'm already planning well in advance so I can get a good idea of what options I have in terms of planning my sons education.

I plan to home school my son but wish for him to be subjected to the social aspect that a school can provide that's all.

What age / level would this be?

My gut feel is that this would be very difficult/impossible: you rightly refer to it as a conventional public Thai school; those are indeed conventional and not overly likely to get very far out of the box/experimental.

You could perhaps try for an after-class study: as many parents work until 5pm at least, many schools will offer some sort of additional class/program until that time, after regular classes end at 3:45-4pm or so. You could try for that, mostly at private Thai schools though. Although the private schools also follow the standard Thai public curriculum so it's not terribly different in the overall education experience from what you're looking for.

Thinking more about it, I think it easier route is to pick a school with a system that is close to your own take on education, and then do additional schooling/lessons based on what you feel is not covered. (As opposed to doing most of it yourself and finding a little bit of a normal school on a part time basis).

One of the good developments in Chiang Mai over the past decade or so is that there are a lot more school types to choose from.

Be it traditionally religious, very religious or Buddhist, Montessori, or others.

And there is also the point that if your kid will be attending university in Thailand then that pretty much requires having gone through the standard Thai curriculum. It's required to pass the entrance exams.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai