Phuket two-day booze ban for Buddhist holidays to include hotels

webfact

To stephenl:

"Cleary shows"? Rather blinkered I would add.

Buddhist principles?!

1) Circa 1995, Luang Phor Koon taken to hospital after his Mercedes overturned.

2) Circa late 90's, monks in Korat browsing in video stores.

3) Early 2000's, monks in Korat browsing in Mobile phone stores.

4) Bird Mcintyre had the road to the temple pave and an aircon installed in his cell when he was a monk.

5) Monks in Tuks Tuks, on motorcycle taxis, Skytrain. Where do they get the money?

6) I have a photo of a monk on an IPhone at Doi Suthep, Nov 2104. "Hello Lord Buddha, are you there?"

Morally superior?! - Hmmm - Patpong, Nana, Cowboy....and many more. Prostitution is illegal in Thailand yet monks routinely attend blessing ceremonies at newly opened bars. Your comments indicate that you consider yourself holier than thou.

To conclude, you do know that Thailand means 'Land of the Free' and that all religions are welcomed in Thailand?

Blinkered? I think maybe you are also a little blinkered.

As with all religions, political persuasions and positions of power and trust, there will always be some, who will pervert and corrupt it for their own benefit.

The actions of a (relatively) small percentage cannot be used to blanket paint all Buddhists

That would be akin to saying that because many expats are loud mouthed, drunken, disrespectful, Thai bashing, bar propping, sexually depraved (deprived? ;) ) morons who only come here to act in ways they couldn't get away with in farangatopia, that MOST are the same. ....oh wait a minute...........

I would give examples as you have, however due to the high volume, I simply don't have the time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 5 at home,5 at office say 1day. Not that I u are wrong.

I can say with certainty that the universities/schools will be closed for both days as I work at one and that immigration will be closed. Businesses, as I mentioned in the OP, may or may not close one or both days at their discretion as it is not mandatory for them.

The Thai calander only shows the Friday as a public holiday, so I assumed (?) only the Friday is a bank and government holiday. Does not bother me but worth folks knwing if immigration/bank open on the Thursday

Jul 30 Thursday -Asalha Bucha = National holiday

Jul 31 Friday - Buddhist Lent Day = National holiday*

*Banks may be open.

http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/thailand/

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

<snip>

To conclude, you do know that Thailand means 'Land of the Free' and that all religions are welcomed in Thailand?

How is not being able to buy booze for two days limit religious freedom? Is there a religion that requires one to drink and a bar or buy booze from a 7-11?

To my knowledge most countries that do have alcohol sales have restrictions on its sale including when, where and whom it can be sold and bought.

All this whining over a cultural difference.
Get over it guys.
I doubt many Thai people are complaining.
They look at it like a good time to dry out a bit and do something different for a change. (my wife and her friends anyway)
Maybe you should do the same.

Sounds like a good time to go make some merit.
Or continue the moaning.

All this whining over a cultural difference.

Get over it guys.

I doubt many Thai people are complaining.

They look at it like a good time to dry out a bit and do something different for a change. (my wife and her friends anyway)

Maybe you should do the same.

Sounds like a good time to go make some merit.

Or continue the moaning.

Or, better yet, come out and play some baseball tomorrow.

Air park, 12:00 noon.

<snip>

How is not being able to buy booze for two days limit religious freedom? Is there a religion that requires one to drink and a bar or buy booze from a 7-11?

To my knowledge most countries that do have alcohol sales have restrictions on its sale including when, where and whom it can be sold and bought.

Indeed some, but most for religious reasons? And perhaps Jews, Christians and other religions may have a reason to drink outside of their residences on the days in question.

Actually the point made to me was that Thailand is superior to Cambodia because it adheres to Buddhist principles, when the point I was really making was Thailand adheres itself to these principles when it suits them. Thailand does mean land of the free? Amusing that I don't live in TL any more and I don't drink. I simply thought a foreigner commenting that Thailand is superior to Cambodia was rather condesceding given the record of the authorities in Thailand of turning a blind eye when it suits them.

Anyway, it really isn't something that should be in my worry orbit, so i'll leave it at that

From my experience .. The best way to make something really popular is to prohibit it.

Local people that want to drink over the two days will know of many options to allow them to do so. Non locals, who probably have little or no interest in Buddhism, will just get on with it.

I have to think that the government and police here have too much time on their hands, with no important issues that need sorting.

<snip>

Indeed some, but most for religious reasons? And perhaps Jews, Christians and other religions may have a reason to drink outside of their residences on the days in question.

Actually the point made to me was that Thailand is superior to Cambodia because it adheres to Buddhist principles, when the point I was really making was Thailand adheres itself to these principles when it suits them. Thailand does mean land of the free? Amusing that I don't live in TL any more and I don't drink. I simply thought a foreigner commenting that Thailand is superior to Cambodia was rather condesceding given the record of the authorities in Thailand of turning a blind eye when it suits them.

Anyway, it really isn't something that should be in my worry orbit, so i'll leave it at that

No "most" don't but Thailand is one of the many countries that due. Also important to note in the US, Canada and Europe there are numerous locations where alcohol is not allowed to be sold on Sunday. See Blue Laws

I am not a biblical scholar but I would highly doubt there is any Jewish or Christian beliefs involving having to go out and buy alcohol on these days. As I mentioned, Blue Laws are actually restrictions on alcohol sales for perceived biblical religious reasons and many Muslim (a biblical religion) ban any alcohol sales.

As for people and religion, Thai people are no different than others when it comes to ignoring their religious doctrine when they want. Even the strictest of Muslim sects who want to live like the dark ages when it comes to technology often have no problem with technology when it comes to weapons.

Don't want to get into bashing one religion or another but I do lean much more towards favoring Buddhism as it is more of a philosophy without the rigorous rules of most religions .. but clearly there are some but not like you are going to hell for eternity by not adhering to them.

I just don't get the complaining each time these are announced. Even if I was a raging alcoholic, there is no ban on drinking. I also think it good to have holidays for people to take off including those involved in these industries. I personally think they should ban cars (as much as reasonable) a day or two each year along with other things. Just seems like a good thing to help people reflect and break cycles and try new things.

<snip>

No "most" don't but Thailand is one of the many countries that due. Also important to note in the US, Canada and Europe there are numerous locations where alcohol is not allowed to be sold on Sunday. See Blue Laws

I am not a biblical scholar but I would highly doubt there is any Jewish or Christian beliefs involving having to go out and buy alcohol on these days. As I mentioned, Blue Laws are actually restrictions on alcohol sales for perceived biblical religious reasons and many Muslim (a biblical religion) ban any alcohol sales.

As for people and religion, Thai people are no different than others when it comes to ignoring their religious doctrine when they want. Even the strictest of Muslim sects who want to live like the dark ages when it comes to technology often have no problem with technology when it comes to weapons.

Don't want to get into bashing one religion or another but I do lean much more towards favoring Buddhism as it is more of a philosophy without the rigorous rules of most religions .. but clearly there are some but not like you are going to hell for eternity by not adhering to them.

I just don't get the complaining each time these are announced. Even if I was a raging alcoholic, there is no ban on drinking. I also think it good to have holidays for people to take off including those involved in these industries. I personally think they should ban cars (as much as reasonable) a day or two each year along with other things. Just seems like a good thing to help people reflect and break cycles and try new things.

I don't believe in any God, and in truth I couldn't care less either way if booze is allowed or not, so I won't make further comment. I do take umbrage when someone states unequivocally as Stevenl did that Thailand is Superior to Cambodia. That smacks of asian spite and I would have expected better from an educated Caucasian.