google chrome ,help!

i claudius

What do you get after that if you click on the home page icon? Does it go to Google? The home page icon is just to your left of the address bar, upper left, just to the left of the www. in the site you are at. It looks like a little black house.

Edited by NeverSure

• In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to YourTV.link search engine to remove it.

Home Page

• In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove YourTV.link and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.

Remove browser add-ons and extensions

Google Chrome

1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools> Extensions.

2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.

http://botcrawl.com/yourtv-link-virus-removal/

What do you get after that if you click on the home page icon? Does it go to Google? The home page icon is just to your left of the address bar, upper left, just to the left of the www. in the site you are at. It looks like a little black house.

When I click on Google I get the page your tv, then if I click on the "little house" I get index of c program files Google chrome applications then lists of stuff like parent directory default apps pepper flash etc etc ect

• In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to YourTV.link search engine to remove it.

Home Page

• In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove YourTV.link and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Remove browser add-ons and extensions Google Chrome

1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools> Extensions.

2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.

http://botcrawl.com/yourtv-link-virus-removal/

tried both but your tv link does not show up

Do you still have that page when you select Chrome? Do you have any new programs on your computer? I would run Malwarebytes to get rid of anything (if called "pup" you do not want it unless you know otherwise).

you just got some malware....took over your browser settings...so congrats on that.

this is how to regain control:

1. control panel.......network and internet......Internet Options....advance (tab)....click on Restore Advance Settings

2. also...(under internet options)...change your home page to what you like..then click "Apply" on the bottom

3. Restart and enjoy regaining control

...oftentimes, when you install some free software, you click through the setup, without seeing that you allowed the installer to take over your browser settings with a weird webpage/or search engine.

Edited by slipperylobster

uninstall chrome

reinstall chrome

always works, even keeps your bookmarks if you have a google account

Not if there is malware resident in memory. It will just change it again.

That's why I suggested a Browser reset first. And yet the defective homepage returned.

Now you have to get rid of the malware, and often it can survive a reboot, and sometimes prevent antivirus software from removing it.

Which is why ideally you should just use a bootable.

I like Bitdefender myself.

It updates the definitions after you boot it, and seems to do a thorough job.

you just got some malware....took over your browser settings...so congrats on that.

1. control panel.......network and internet......Internet Options....advance (tab)....click on Restore Advance Settings

2. also...(under internet options)...change your home page to what you like..then click "Apply" on the bottom

...oftentimes, when you install some free software, you click through the setup, without seeing that you allowed the installer to take over your browser settings with a weird webpage/or search engine.

sorry that didnt worksad.png

Appears yourtv.link does more than just change Chrome settings (sites suggest that a service runs on win startup plus possible change to Group Policy settings.)

Malwaretips has a suggested cure,

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-yourtv-link/

Note go through all the steps, do not stop if the problem appears to have been cured after the first step.

Edit to add.... If that does not work Bleepingcomputer has a different,but similar 'cure'

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/yourtv.link-removal-guide

Edited by ThaidDown

uninstall chrome

reinstall chrome

That's why I suggested a Browser reset first. And yet the defective homepage returned.

Now you have to get rid of the malware, and often it can survive a reboot, and sometimes prevent antivirus software from removing it.

chrome malware writes itself into the chrome startup file

uninstall and install

takes 15 minutes

stop confusing the poor guy by typing BS

uninstall chrome

reinstall chrome

chrome malware writes itself into the chrome startup file

uninstall and install

takes 15 minutes

stop confusing the poor guy by typing BS

You didn't really understand Post #5, did you?

And you didn't read Post #10.

Edited by Chicog

Tell you what,

Why doesn't OP remove and install (15 mins)

As it's the quickest suggestion on the thread.

Then he can post which one of us is the fool.

Happy for him to decide it's me.

Actually resetting Chrome is the fastest method. I'm afraid you are one of these people that has learned a little bit and thinks they've learned a lot.

Either that or your dyslexia is kicking in again.

Settings that change
  • Default search engine and saved search engines will be reset and to their original defaults.
  • Homepage button will be hidden and the URL that you previously set will be removed.
  • Default startup tabs will be cleared. The browser will show a new tab when you startup or continue where you left off if you're on a Chromebook.
  • New Tab page will be empty unless you have a version of Chrome with an extension that controls it. In that case your page may be preserved.
  • Pinned tabs will be unpinned.
  • Content settings will be cleared and reset to their installation defaults.
  • Cookies and site data will be cleared.
  • Extensions and themes will be disabled.

sorry that didnt worksad.png

Then I was wrong... but sometimes this is exactly the problem (was with me).

I would now go with a fresh install of chrome.

No harm in that.

also look at your startups...using startup manager.

finally check for malware..lots of free stuff. It does not sound like a virus...just some browser hijacking.

anyways....i keep 4 browsers on my computer. Some are good for private browsing (Tor browser)...some are good for the many add ons that make browsing more interesting (firefox)...and some are good for reliablility and consistent success with flash and for those websites that disallow firefox...(like that 90 day reporting that doesn't work anyways).

Opera is for no nonsense browsing with few issues....the others all have issues. Google Crome is the worst....puts update requests in without permission...and gets into your Task Scheduler. If you don't believe this, then look at your services running and open your task scheduler. You will always see Google Update there (if you install their products).

screw that.

So happy I flushed all the google products off of my 'puter.

One other thing... A live linux distro (on a thumb flash drive)...is a wonderful backup. Also keeps your computer clean. It's free, and runs stuff like chrome and firefox. You can then plug it into any computer anywhere and have your cake..(eat it too). Your laptop may get trashed, or stolen...or (back in the usa) confiscated at customs. Just bring your itty bitty thumbdrive with you. No windows...wow...no updates..few issues with viruses...and independance. You can even encrypt the whole folder (with the operating system) and upload it to dropbox. Install it when you get back home.

signed.......prisoner to microsoft for way toooooo long.

Edited by slipperylobster

I tried everything suggested here,the long and the short my computer crashed could not install stuff nightmare ,all done now but what a ,disaster ,hope none of you get it

Edited by i claudius