Maw Saen

insiket

Hi.I have back pain at the moment and am getting massages in the village (Si Saket province)can anybody tell me what Man Saen means?The massages are brilliant and the skill has been passed down.ie no formal training.

Maw or Man?

Maw (หมอ) is the Thai word for doctor, but has a very wide application - (I've even seen signs for a Maw Duang -- หมอดวง, literally a 'globe doctor' which means a fortune teller.)

There is a well-known brand of 'health medicines' called 'Ya Mor Seng' (medicine from Doctor Saeng).

But it sounds like you might be dealing with a local word.

I think he means to write, sen, เส้น

Have heard that used many times when getting a massage.

I have been told this MANY times by both Thai doctors and proper masseurs, stay away from these places, they will ferk you up.

This is coming from someone who suffers from lower back pain.

If you are getting this done more than once a week, you have serious problems and should consult a proper doctor, not some back street quack.

Rick, I think he means มัน เส้น (เลือด)

Man sen, the massuer is telling him its the veins that are the problem.

No mention of age or weight, one thing I know is, after having a deep massage, my kidneys give me jip the next day, these women are working all the cholesterol and toxins out of the veins.

No, what he means is หมอเส้น [moo sen].

It's short form of หมอจับเส้น

It's a type of Thai traditional massage where one will massage certain nerve points and blood veins. This word just means that the masseuse is proficient in this type of massage.

Personally I would also stay away from masseuses without formal training from for example reputable institutions such as Wat Pho.

Some of them can be quite a quack and can potentially in the long run ruin things up on your body.

Edited by Mole

Yes.They do seem to be working nerve/pressure points also spine manipulation.Point taken on getting massage from someone with training from Wat Pho etc.That said I spent over 10,000 baht in australia on phsio with no improvment at all.