US Visa requirements for Thai woman

Hi, I have to go Back to SF in February (brrr) and would like to take my GF along for a visit. Can anyone who has had success getting a tourist visa for a Thai woman share the general list of requirements that the consular officials use?

I understand that having had prior visas for other countries (and not overstaying them) will help, she speaks very good English...

Alan

If you want a tourist visa, she has to show a steady job and income (steady income for a lot of months) and property deeds to show she will indeed return afterwards.

Personal experience.. someone with 10 acres of land, a 20 room guest house and a job as a banker, had no trouble getting a tourist visa.. in fact they got it for 10 years right from the beginning in 2008.

But a friend who wanted to take his bargirl friend along was denied. They asked her why her income in her bank was erratic.. why so little this month and so much this month.. turned down for moral turpitude.

So your experience may vary.

• Like 2

Alan

The GF for a "visit," how about you, also returning to Thailand?

The NIV, Non Immigrant Visa, process is explained here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html

Lots of info also on www.visajourney.com

And, Jake, doesn't really matter whether or not the GF has a job, bank account, car, land, etc in her name. My now wife didn't have such when she got her first U.S. NIV, and the second, then the third which was her first 10-year NIV.

Important point is her ties to Thailand, and to you, Alan. Are you working here? Retired? Been here for some time? Coming back? All of this can be considered by the interviewing consular officer.

A suggestion: When your GF goes to her interview, she should have your passport in hand with your Thai visa status pages flagged. Work Permit, too, if you have such. And a short cover letter stating how long you've been together and your status here.

Mac

• Like 2

If you want a tourist visa, she has to show a steady job and income (steady income for a lot of months) and property deeds to show she will indeed return afterwards.

Personal experience.. someone with 10 acres of land, a 20 room guest house and a job as a banker, had no trouble getting a tourist visa.. in fact they got it for 10 years right from the beginning in 2008.

But a friend who wanted to take his bargirl friend along was denied. They asked her why her income in her bank was erratic.. why so little this month and so much this month.. turned down for moral turpitude.

So your experience may vary.

A little hard to believe that variable income would lead to this.

Edited by mesquite

Hi Alan.

Pretty much what Mac said is my experience as well. My GF had a small business and small income. No property, not much money in the bank. First thing the consular looked at was my passport and visa. After that it was small talk and an approval for 10 years. One year later we did same with her children.

She should dress business casual, be prepared for tough questions, not become frustrated at such questions, be friendly and smile.

I love SF.....this time of year.

Good luck Alan and keep us informed.

Shot

• Like 1

As a lawyer who had done a lot of this work I can tell you it is very difficult for Thais in general to get a visitor visa. If your gf is a bar girl don't even bother. The embassy folks know it when they see it and she will not be able to show the financial stability or assets necessary to show she will return.

As a lawyer who had done a lot of this work I can tell you it is very difficult for Thais in general to get a visitor visa. If your gf is a bar girl don't even bother. The embassy folks know it when they see it and she will not be able to show the financial stability or assets necessary to show she will return.

Thanks azbill.

1) She's not a bar girl, far from. My inquiry is about what are the circumstances that they will accept. Is it a simply a matter of: so much this and so much that, do they use some kind of template

2) can I go for the interview with her?

Edited by Alan poole

Here is how bad it can be. My wife went in 4 months ago. She had land and house papers, proof of car ownership, Bank account, itinerary of where and when she would be for a 2 week trip with names and phone numbers. She is self employed doing piece work for several dress shops in the city (names and phone numbers included). Has traveled out of the country to Laos and China for the company she worked for previously (11 years) several times. I am retired living here for 5 years.

She was asked 3 questions by the farang interviewer, the first in Thai.

How do you spend money?

My wife replied that she did not understand the question, He makes a mark on some paper.

Why does your husband like living in Thailand?

She answers the question as best she could since she is not me. (How would your wife answer?)

Next, he wanted to see my passport. She had copies of all important pages, but that was not good enough. I was out on the street in front of the embassy with my passport (as required by Thai law) but would not let her go get it and I can not come in.

Refused'

• Like 1

Bunny

Interesting, does make me wonder what happened.

I always recommend that the wife/GF take the sponsor's passport in with her, I don't much worry about not having it in my hand outside. Indeed, a week ago when I applied for a new passport for myself, and paid for the EMSing back to me, the ACS kept my passport so I have not had one for this time. Reckon this is so they can cancel it when the new passport arrives, then send both back to me.

I also recommend a very short cover letter by the sponsor to be handed to the interviewing ConOff, stating relationship and status in Thailand. Seems like this usually works.

In any case, my wife is up for her third 10-year visa interview in November-December, I'll pre-brief her on the Qs that your wife was asked. Strange Qs, too.

Mac

She needs to make a compelling, evidence supported case that she will return to Thailand after her trip is over. That is what they care about.

For my TGF, this was actually my work permit.

+1 No actual requirements per se. The decision is based on the personal opinion of the interviewer.

Obvious factors are whether married or not, income, job etc. but the interviewer's decision can also be based on how the applicant was dressed, the age difference between the applicant and her partner, skin color, or any other factors that are important to that particular interviewer.

can anyone help me with this problem. I'm trying to get my thai wife a tourist visa to visit my family with my seven moths old son. what is my chance if we got married in 2011 own house, two car garage separate from the house, two car, six rai land and a small store in the village also my wife does not want to live in the us.

can anyone help me with this problem. I'm trying to get my thai wife a tourist visa to visit my family with my seven moths old son. what is my chance if we got married in 2011 own house, two car garage separate from the house, two car, six rai land and a small store in the village also my wife does not want to live in the us.

Your ties to Thailand will be as important as your wife's to prove she will be returning.

If you can prove you are living here full time will help, If you are on a extension of stay that will be the best proof. If on a multiple entry visa you would need to provide copies of you passport pages that show your entries and departures.

Here is how bad it can be. My wife went in 4 months ago. She had land and house papers, proof of car ownership, Bank account, itinerary of where and when she would be for a 2 week trip with names and phone numbers. She is self employed doing piece work for several dress shops in the city (names and phone numbers included). Has traveled out of the country to Laos and China for the company she worked for previously (11 years) several times. I am retired living here for 5 years.

She was asked 3 questions by the farang interviewer, the first in Thai.

How do you spend money?

My wife replied that she did not understand the question, He makes a mark on some paper.

Why does your husband like living in Thailand?

She answers the question as best she could since she is not me. (How would your wife answer?)

Next, he wanted to see my passport. She had copies of all important pages, but that was not good enough. I was out on the street in front of the embassy with my passport (as required by Thai law) but would not let her go get it and I can not come in.

Refused'

Hard to believe those were the questions asked.