Need Advice On Visa That Would Work Best For Me ?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and need some advice on what type of visa would probably work best and be the least hassle for me in the long run. As for my backround, I live in Califonia and Hawaii and am a US citizen, over 50 years old, can easily meet the financial requirements of any type of visa and have been coming to Thailand off and on for the past 10 years. In the past, I have always come over on the automatic 30 day visa and if I decided to stay an extra month, I just made a border run for extension.

My circumstances have changed since my last trip earlier this year as I married a Thai girl and she is now here with me in the US and she has already obtained her green card. Now that we are married, we will be making two or three trips to Thailand every year and will stay there between 1 to 3 months (max) on each trip.

I am not sure if I understand all the ins and outs of the different types of visa. Some questions I have are: If I get a retirement visa, does this mean I can only make one entry on the visa or are there multiple entry retirement visas available to US citizens ? Now that I am married to a Thai citizen, is there any type of visa available to me that would work better for me than a retirement visa for multiple entries in the course of a year.

Many thank for any help I can get on this question. I am aware of the change in the border run policy which will be taking effect and I realize things are subject to change with the current political situation and I will be coming to Thailand again in about 2 weeks so any help I can get on this matter will be greatly appreciated .

Edited by jetjock

A retirement visa gives you one year uninterrupted, in the country, you pay extra for the reentry permit (3000 for a multi entry I believe).

It seems to me you would do better with a multi-entry non-immigrant visa. You wouldn't need to worry about keeping money in the bank in Thailand, or meeting visa income requirements. You would need your marriage license and wife's id card.

I'd go to the consular office in HI.

HAWAII

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

1287 KALANI STREET, SUITE 103

HONOLULU, HI 96817

Tel : (808) 845-7332

Fax : (808) 848-0022

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Colin Miyabara