Myanmar maid jailed for killing employer's mother-in-law in Singapore

webfact

Myanmar maid jailed for killing employer's mother-in-law in Singapore

SINGAPORE: -- The High Court in Singapore on Monday sentenced a 25-year-old domestic maid from Myanmar to 13 years imprisonment for killing her employer's 87-year-old mother-in-law, The Straits Times reported.

The maid, Than Than Win, pleaded guilty to a charge of culpable homicide for stabbing Madam Yong Wan Lan with a pair of scissors at the Springdale Condominium on Hindhede Walk in Bukit Timah on March 4 last year.

Her charge was reduced from murder as she was diagnosed by a psychiatrist from the Institute of Mental Health to be suffering from severe depression with psychotic symptoms at the time.

The maid had been working for the family for more than a year and was alone at home with the elderly woman when she became increasingly angry over a scolding she received from Madam Yong that morning.

The maid got the largest pair of scissors she could find from a kitchen drawer, then repeatedly stabbed Madam Yong, who was too frail to resist.

After killing her, the maid washed herself in the bathroom with her clothes on. She then left the apartment, drenched and barefoot, and wandered around the estate. She got a saw from a parked truck and tried to cut her neck but was stopped by a worker.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/myanmar-maid-jailed-for-killing-employers-mother-in-law-in-singapore

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-28

Singapore has one of the highest scores in cases of maid abuse. I just wonder this does not happen more often.

In Saudi Arabia........her head would already be chopped off.

Singapore is NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 25 OF ABUSES. get your facts right.

Several of my friends in Singapore are maids from Indonesia, the Philippines, and Myanmar. I don't know how the place compares to other countries, but I've heard some terrible stories here (not outright physical abuse--though that also happens--but just unending poor treatment, lack of off-time, lack of food etc). Then again, I know a couple of Indonesians who previously in the Middle East (one in Jordan and one in Saudi), and the experiences were even worse. It's a wonder that the murder/suicide rate among maids is not higher than it (supposedly) is.