Chiang Mai feels like Seattle w/hot weather

goreme

If I understand correctly, rainy season started late this year and likely to get heavier lasting for another 2-3mos. Combined with burning season, It seems CM is really only livable 4-5mos out of the year. Is that a correct assumption?

That depends on your definition of liveable. Rain is nice, you may have noticed a drop in temp. during the rainy spell and when the clouds break the air will be clear, the plants washed and growing. It is a lovely time of year.

That depends on your definition of liveable. Rain is nice, you may have noticed a drop in temp. during the rainy spell and when the clouds break the air will be clear, the plants washed and growing. It is a lovely time of year.

Enjoy rain as well in moderation but when it's continuous day in/day out like it is in Seattle much of the year, it gets old pretty quick. Also, it seems scooters are pretty useless in this weather and probably much safer to drive a car.

Enjoy rain as well in moderation but when it's continuous day in/day out like it is in Seattle much of the year, it gets old pretty quick. Also, it seems scooters are pretty useless in this weather and probably much safer to drive a car.

It is NOT continuous, day in and day out as in Seattle. Most of the day will be bright sun, then an hour or two of torrential rain in the afternoons, followed by bright sun again. Certainly there will be 'some' full days of rain, just as in most places, but usually not. I use my scooter every day without any problems. I find the rainy season to be delightful, with clean, cool air. lush tropical growth all around, and a freshness you don't experience during the rest of the year. But then I find the rest of the year, minus 2-3 weeks when the burning is at its worst, pretty damn nice too! But then... that's why I live here and not somewhere else!

It is NOT continuous, day in and day out as in Seattle. Most of the day will be bright sun, then an hour or two of torrential rain in the afternoons, followed by bright sun again. Certainly there will be 'some' full days of rain, just as in most places, but usually not. I use my scooter every day without any problems. I find the rainy season to be delightful, with clean, cool air. lush tropical growth all around, and a freshness you don't experience during the rest of the year. But then I find the rest of the year, minus 2-3 weeks when the burning is at its worst, pretty damn nice too! But then... that's why I live here and not somewhere else!

It is NOT continuous, day in and day out as in Seattle. Most of the day will be bright sun, then an hour or two of torrential rain in the afternoons, followed by bright sun again

This is the norm...but so far, this month at least,has been far from the norm.

Goreme wrote: ... "It seems CM is really only livable 4-5mos out of the year. Is that a correct assumption?"

No.

~o:37;

correct, it's not liveable here at any time. We're all enduring it here just saving our pennies to move to Seattle, because it's not so hot there. Edited by dickyknee

February: burning starts

March: burning

April: burning and hot

May: Hot and rain

June, July, August, September: Rain all day

October, November, December, January: billions of tourists, dry, hot, and prices are higher

but you can buy beer in 7-11 and drink it with your favorite ladyboy!!!!

This is why you need millions. fly the world and only enjoy the best days in each city. I was in Seattle and no rain. If i felt one drop, i'm off in the jet to Paris.....

It seems like the rains in PDX would be a lot heavier, when it was cold. Here the rains are preventing Summer heat. Besides, the women don't dress like lumberjacks or steelworkers. Rainy season is one of the best times to be here. It can be Wankerville during the high season months of Jan-Feb, when the sun deprived show up.

Edited by bangmai

I know what you mean about the Seattle weather. I was raised there. Constant rain but not heavy. Seattle gets less rain than New York. The difference being in Seattle it never really got that hard. Here in Chiang Mai the Rainy season as a rule will have heavy rain for a short period of time then the sun cimes out and an hour later you don't even realize it rained here.

the current season seems to me to not be following the normal format. Prolong periods of rain. Seems to me last year it was almost always at night. I hope Seattle is warm and dry as In two days I will be there. Might have a bit of trouble driving on the right side of the road the first day. Not going to go out to a busy place right away.

No.

Goreme wrote: ... "It seems CM is really only livable 4-5mos out of the year. Is that a correct assumption?"

No.

correct, it's not liveable here at any time. We're all enduring it here just saving our pennies to move to Seattle, because it's not so hot there.

clap2.gif Also we have some of the most humoristcheesy.gif expats here.wai.gif Indeed the correct answer is NO.wai.gif Any onewho tells you different has not really spent a year here.coffee1.gifgiggle.gif

Actually, living in Seattle from 1985 to 1987, I found that it does not rain that much. My only problem was the overcast and fog. I remember one time for 5 months we never saw the sun because of the clouds over the entire area. It was a high altitude overcast. You could see 100 miles straight away, but you could not see the sun. Miami gets more rain than Seattle.

Oh, yeah, I hate Chiang Mai so much that it's taken me 7 years to decide to move. It will probably take another 7 to finally find the "right" place, and another 7 to actually implement the move, and then 7 more to actually do it. Of course, at 66 now, I'll probably be dead by then, but hey, what can I say?

whistling.gif

I sometimes joke that the Thaivisa Whining-Calendar has this topic scheduled every year for the August/September timeframe.

Started 3 days early, pretty reliable. Well done, kids. smile.png

Next will be flooding concern. Now, there won't be flooding due to the relatively dry start of the season but with the Pa Daed water gates the water levels will of course still be pretty high after some more rainfall next month.

So I still say we should still do that topic as usual, and just pretend there is actual concern. It's tradition.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Actually, living in Seattle from 1985 to 1987, I found that it does not rain that much. My only problem was the overcast and fog. I remember one time for 5 months we never saw the sun because of the clouds over the entire area. It was a high altitude overcast. You could see 100 miles straight away, but you could not see the sun. Miami gets more rain than Seattle.

I lived in /Seattle from 1944 to 1971. It goes in cycles. Fog was not a problem then for a couple of years it was.

The rain was quite often but never that hard. Working construction with all out door concrete it did prove to be

some what of a problem. Also I noticed that there was like certain areas that would get more rain than others. I drove 40 miles from North Seattle to Auburn and ion the way there was certain areas that had rain whn others didn't.

I sometimes joke that the Thaivisa Whining-Calendar has this topic scheduled every year for the August/September timeframe.

Started 3 days early, pretty reliable. Well done, kids. smile.png

Next will be flooding concern. Now, there won't be flooding due to the relatively dry start of the season but with the Pa Daed water gates the water levels will of course still be pretty high after some more rainfall next month.

So I still say we should still do that topic as usual, and just pretend there is actual concern. It's tradition.

Many street drains are clogged so we can look forward to localized flooding ....all is not lost !

I like the light drizzle we've been having here...nice and green.
Riding the motorcycle in it is not too difficult and went swimming today while it rained.

It's been keeping it cool, although a bit damp.... and it's almost impossible to take the motorcycle off-road up into the mountains.

One good thing, the dogs don't bark, the roosters don't crow and Maya doesn't play music all night.

I loved living in Seattle, but the winter of 2012-2013 did me in, no sun, drizzle, cold... I moved here that March....55555.

Just came back from summer in Seattle. I love the summers there, beautiful and fun city and the Fremont Solstice Parade, good beer and Ike's.

Next year I'm buying an airstream and truck and going to live in the PNW May-Sept... that's my dream anyway.

Edited by Nowisee

Rain season is actually my favorite season in the north.

I was near Seattle last month...it was REALLY HOT. It has been a very hot spring/summer for the Northwest..

i am now off to the Doi Suthep mud festival!!! if you want to attend and get a map to this secretive event, paypal me 3000 baht to ;laksdfjs;dlfjksdlfdfjidasjfdsk;[email protected]

thanks

What has this got to do with Seattle ? Gods country,in Seattle we get a cloudy winter but not too much rain, all of that is a myth to keep people out, surrounded by mountains for ski buffs in winter and beaches in summer, Seattle must classify as one of the most pleasant places to live on the planet , to compare this to Chiang Mai is an insult. . We don't have forest fires as California, no smoke haze, Seattle is not full of prostitutes, rip off artists and corrupt bib , get a life get real.