Booze laws need to cover online sales and ya dong, Thai health official says

webfact

Booze laws need to cover online sales and ya dong, health official says
By Coconuts Bangkok

8651039265_7f697a95a5_o.jpg

More changes to alcohol laws are being sought by health officials

BANGKOK: -- Regulators want to amend the law to expand restrictions to online sales and ya dong, a health official said yesterday.

The existing laws on alcohol needed to be updated, as orders can be placed online for delivery, according to Saman Futrakul of the Disease Control Department.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/29/booze-laws-need-cover-online-sales-and-ya-dong-health-official-says

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-29

My mate in Phuket from years ago used to make Ya Dong and stick it on the shelf in the sun for a few days.

It looked like something you'd find on a forest floor urinal after a heavy rain.

And it tasted like it too.

blink.png

Online sales? How is that going to be enforced unless you ban all alcohol online sales in general? This is getting so ridiculous that if I wasn't in Thailand I would have thought it was a joke.

Anyways, you can always ask your trusted motorbike guy to pick up some alcohol for you and deliver it. Problem solved.

What's ya dong?

Edit: googled it.

Not going to try it.

At ten baht a shot, I tried it. A lot like cough medicine. Next time I get a cold, I'm send the GF to get me some of this stuff. But from now till then I'll stick with cheap gin & regular priced tonic.

Why don't they sort out the mess and corruption in the government and police force, before focussing on trying to control the lives of the little people?

You can't STOP people getting alcohol. It's impossible.

Prohibition DOES NOT WORK.

Banning alcohol sales near schools is pointless - unless you're trying to tell me that a HUGE percentage of school kids go to school and get drunk?

Otherwise - its pointless.

Kids go home after school and get their booze locally - it's got nothing to do with proximity to schools.

If it IS to do with schoolkids getting drunk within school hours, just do what every other country does - you ban kids from leaving school premises during working hours and allow food vendors to come into sell their wares on school grounds, and provide better food in the school canteen.

At most - push the sales times in 7/11's to 2-6pm.

Oh - what's the point.......

Edited by eeworldwide

Its quite obvious that the law makers were drunks at school and never paid attention to "common sense" class.... and the parents really didnt give a flying rats as$ because little "sh|thead" was going to pass his grades, drunk or not

Edited by thhMan

Ya dong is sold all over the country. There is no unique taste, as there are tens of thousends of different recipes. Some control of usage would not be that bad, as ya dong can have up to 50% alcohol (basis is normally lao khao of various origins). In earlier days mostly old men drank it in really small amounts. Today, as beer for many got too expensive, the habits have changed a lot. For about 80 - 90 baht you can get a big bottle with water and some snacks added. Quiet dangerous, especially because the "outlets" selling ya dong hardly care about the age of the buyers. Otherwise, IMO the selling restriction hours and 300 meter roules are for nothing at all.

As usual, the horses left this barn 50 years ago and NOW we're closing the doors.

This wouldn't be a problem if there were proper zoning laws (of if they exist, then properly enforced). Zoning laws should require that bars and shops selling booze not be allowed to open in schools zones or alternately, schools should be built in the middle of bourbon street. Can somebody open up a new school in a busy shopping district and subsequently force the closure of dozens of surrounding bars and other businesses?

Here's an idea, enforce a minimum drinking age of 21 (or even 18). Run sting operations to catch businesses that knowingly sell to minors. Is there already a minimum drinking age in Thailand? Then why not just enforce it?

Another idea: Get all alcohol out of supermarkets and 7-11s altogether and create specialized, licensed liquor stores in approved business zones that are far enough away from schools that additional laws shouldn't be needed.

Edited by attrayant

As usual, the horses left this barn 50 years ago and NOW we're closing the doors.

This wouldn't be a problem if there were proper zoning laws (of if they exist, then properly enforced). Zoning laws should require that bars and shops selling booze not be allowed to open in schools zones or alternately, schools should be built in the middle of bourbon street. Can somebody open up a new school in a busy shopping district and subsequently force the closure of dozens of surrounding bars and other businesses?

Here's an idea, enforce a minimum drinking age of 21 (or even 18). Run sting operations to catch businesses that knowingly sell to minors. Is there already a minimum drinking age in Thailand? Then why not just enforce it?

Another idea: Get all alcohol out of supermarkets and 7-11s altogether and create specialized, licensed liquor stores in approved business zones that are far enough away from schools that additional laws shouldn't be needed.

are you from Salt Lake City?

Oh good grief. What now? I order beer by the case and bottles of Sang Som from Tops-on-line. Order today and they will deliver tommorrow. Payment in cash on delivery. VERY convenient.

Of course, they will not deliver on one of the 'dry' days. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

But seriously, all this nanny state stuff is starting to get out of hand, and is never thought through properly, nor implemented properly and rarely enforced after a startup crackdown.

Thailand is slaughtering the golden goose, I think.