Phuket tailors claim stitched up by illegal layoffs

webfact

Phuket tailors claim stitched up by illegal layoffs
Eakkapop Thongtub

1438223217_1-org.jpg
The ex-tailors claimed they were illegally laid off. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Ten former workers at a Phuket tailor shop arrived at the Damrongtham Center (provincial Ombudsman’s office) at Provincial Hall this week to file a complaint that they were sacked illegally.

The former staffers from Patong told Vice Governor Somkiet Sangkaosutthirak, who received the complaint in person on Tuesday (July 28), that they were sacked without proper notice served.

They also called on officials to investigate the company to ensure that the foreign workers who allegedly replaced them were working legally.

“We were told that they had to let us go because the company couldn’t afford to pay us,” said Mr Eakachat, one of aggrieved.

“We all worked for the company for two to three years,” he said. “The company agreed in the employment contract to pay employees about B2,000 per item worked.

“We asked for some compensation or to keep us on until the end of July so we can find other jobs, but the company rejected our offer,” he added.

Mr Eakachat claimed that his former employer had now hired foreigners to work for the company.

“We know the company has hired foreign workers instead of us, so we want officials to check that the company has followed the regulations for hiring foreign workers,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tailors-claim-stitched-up-by-illegal-layoffs-53414.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-30

Welcome to Thailand. ASEAN integration has such a high chance of success. The workers have the same protections for notice and severance pay that all workers have. What obstacles will the provincial government create to stop the flow of cheaper and more productive laborers from abroad?

Edited by zaphod reborn

After going in and out of the country for over 10 years

i think the touts are getting close to a sale, i really think

i need a suit, for what reason, i don't know, just need to

know i have to own one. Black like MIB