Makro Beer Prices....Maybe not worth the trip.....

bangmai

I just scored a case born on 16 July for 590 THB at my local mom and pop....case closed...or actually case opened. Good cigars, ice cold/fresh beer, my personal radio station on Pandora, view of the city, a clean restroom, and the little woman....

Edited by bangmai

Like a few of the Brits have told me..we Americans know nothing about beer...they were a bit surprised, when I showed them the website for my local beer store in Virginia....only 2500 kinds available, including 71 from England. Must be the Michael Moore movies....

You really got to be a stone cold alky to drink the Thai beer for sale here. Most beer drinkers have only three options. 1. Drink the expensive craft or imported beers. Switch to moonshine. Join AA.

And what exactly are you, if you drink the wine?

You really got to be a stone cold alky to drink the Thai beer for sale here. Most beer drinkers have only three options. 1. Drink the expensive craft or imported beers. Switch to moonshine. Join AA.

And what exactly are you, if you drink the wine?

I don't drink the wine.

ive had beer a few months old in Thailand and it tasted fine to me - Archa and Red Horse.

I never see Thai people look for the freshest bottles or cases.

When i buy beer I am always shuffling the bottles around in 7/11 looking for the newest ones. Thais think i am crazy, but so what :)

I'd love to buy the Beerlao case from Makro, but it cost 1,080 baht... i can get two cases for that price... yes, beerlao is better, but not better enough to pay that much.

when i am in Laos, I drink beerlao like its water, so when i arrive back in Thailand i am so sick of it....

ive had beer a few months old in Thailand and it tasted fine to me - Archa and Red Horse.

When i buy beer I am always shuffling the bottles around in 7/11 looking for the newest ones. Thais think i am crazy, but so what smile.png

They put ice in the beer. It would make no difference drinking that or horse ..........

I stopped drinking Thai beer after watching a soi dog one day. The dog grabbed a garbage sack of dirty baby diapers and rolled around in them covering herself in baby poop. I was drinking a Thai beer at the time. I looked at the beer and smelled that slight smell of a skunk and decided my taste buds had become like a soi dog. That was the day I stopped.

I'd love to buy the Beerlao case from Makro, but it cost 1,080 baht... i can get two cases for that price... yes, beerlao is better, but not better enough to pay that much.

when i am in Laos, I drink beerlao like its water, so when i arrive back in Thailand i am so sick of it....

But would love to buy but it cost 1080 baht.

lol.

When i buy beer I am always shuffling the bottles around in 7/11 looking for the newest ones. Thais think i am crazy, but so what smile.png

The Thais don't think you're crazy, they just know you're reading Thaivisa, where all the alcoholics beer experts share their knowledge.

So how long is beer good for, from the born date, if you are the expert? Sounds to me more like bigotry through low expectations.

And why is everyone accused of being an alky here? Very wrong assumptions. I brought home my first case in over four months...routinely go weeks without it....but when I do partake; it should be fresh/cold, whether it's Thai Karaoke, beer promo madness, or my own home...I will vote with my wallet. A successful business is concerned with its customers wants/needs. I scrutinize the born date for medication, drywall, and paint too.

Edited by bangmai

So how long is beer good for, from the born date, if you are the expert? Sounds to me more like bigotry through low expectations.

I never said I was an expert, but I'm also no conspiracy theorist who dreams up things.

Another poster already explained how long the shelf expectations of beer are, and going from the dates that beer is available in Western countries where there are very strict laws of consumer protection, I tend to believe him.

Do you really believe that a Carrefour, or even better a Walmart or Costco, would get away with selling expired beer without paying themselves blue in a court case?

So if I see that they have beers on sale that are older than 2 months, I'm confident that nothing is wrong with it.

By the way, the premium Belgian beers that are sold in Thailand are all older than a month before they even touch Thai shores.

Edited by Anthony5

OK, nice side-stepping job...but are you saying that the old ones are just as good as the new ones? Kraft Mayonnaise has a shelf life of 3 years...but wouldn't you rather get a newer jar?

And you call me side stepping, while you compare a 3 year old food product with a 2 month old food product that has about the same shelf life as the Mayonnaise.

Now please explain where I was side stepping in my post, other than that I didn't agree with your conspiracy theories.

You were sidestepping the question because you will not state if you believe the older beers are as good as the newer (less than 30 days)....you also seemed to have quoted and paraphrased a ghost with regards to US standards. They use born on dates to avoid complications of sell-by dates...

You were sidestepping the question because you will not state if you believe the older beers are as good as the newer (less than 30 days)....you also seemed to have quoted and paraphrased a ghost with regards to US standards. They use born on dates to avoid complications of sell-by dates...

First of all, manufacturing dates have the same purpose as sell by dates, but of course you need to be able to count which is not easy for some.

They don't use manufacturing dates to avoid complications, and even not all manufacturers use this method because that's another thing that exists only in your head, but to be more precise, and at the end of the day the same shelf life applies.

Now since you like to get in an argument, which you are well known for on this forum, with your conspiracy theories I will answer your precious question.

No, in a blind taste test I will not be able to taste the difference between a 1 month and a 2 month old beer, and so will 99% of the people, but of course you are one of the 1%.

Goodbye.

Edited by Anthony5

I just scored a case born on 16 July for 590 THB at my local mom and pop....case closed...or actually case opened. Good cigars, ice cold/fresh beer, my personal radio station on Pandora, view of the city, a clean restroom, and the little woman....

Our heartfelt sympathies to "the little woman", despite the clean restroom and the shared internet connection.

I realize that things could always be worse, but honestly.... that woman must be an absolute saint!

Our heartfelt sympathies to "the little woman", despite the clean restroom and the shared internet connection.

I realize that things could always be worse, but honestly.... that woman must be an absolute saint!

wow! Landtrout, you finally came out of your hole. I hadn't heard from you in 7 months (since I gave you a copy of the 8th grade Math(s) exam). Do you buy more recent beer, or older beer LT? BTW, she says she used to go with Sgerman guy, but his gut was so big; she couldn't see his ####, and the British guy had yellow teeth and body odor bad enough to knock the buzzards off a manure cart....that 7+8 was a tough one, dontcha think?

Edited by bangmai

Whilst on the subject of beer can anyone throw some light on the rumour that Chang are about to stop the manufacture of their Export and Draught beers.

These 2 beers have become very popular within my farang community up here in the north east ( Surin area ) but now are almost impossible to find . Last seen

in Big C but now gone .

Yesterday I was in Makro and spotted 1 box of Chang draught sitting all alone , I excitedly rescued it to my trolley along with other shopping . Got to the check out and showed my card etc and the girl began the swiping process , when a supervisor came to me and said in English " you cannot have the beer cos its Buddha Day , I replied that i was not a Buddhist and so no problem , she then spoke in Thai quite loudly to the amusement of all Thais in earshot . I think the translation may have been , " Take the f*****g box out of the trolley you stupid farang p***k . But i will never know for sure and I also lost my box of Draught

I'd prefer to pay with my Visa card, but it's not a big deal. Costco has only accepted AmEx for years (will take Visa soon), and is one of the largest companies on the planet.

Might be largest in USA but certainly not in uk or rest of world.

I'd prefer to pay with my Visa card, but it's not a big deal. Costco has only accepted AmEx for years (will take Visa soon), and is one of the largest companies on the planet.

Might be largest in USA but certainly not in uk or rest of world.

notice I said "one of",,,,,it;s actually the second largest retailer in the World. Was I lying?

https://nrf.com/news/2015-top-250-global-powers-of-retailing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco

Only Walmart is bigger. The top 10 are 5 US, 3 German, 1 French, 1 UK......

Makro don't sell any decent beer, so I have to suffer Horeca's very hit & miss stock situation. Failing that, the bottle shop on Nimman usually has what I want at favourable prices.

Thank you so much for an illuminating and informative post and I shall look forward to more of your helpful tips wai2.gif