Vocabulary chart teaches children that dark skin is 'ugly'

webfact

is sad that whatever intent of the illustrator had in this attempt to differentiate the meanings of handsome or ugly it is a fail that appears to be rascist.

But after giving it some consideration I am at a loss as to how to give some other differentiation that cannot be questioned. Handsome or ugly is a culturally based perception although now being dramatically impacted by commercial media propaganda in reversed application geographically inrespect of skin tone.

Personally I find now that the skin tone of Europeans generally looks sickly and unappealing by comparison to Asians.

It is not a question of handsome, ugly, pretty or beautiful. To me it it is what appears more healthy.

So it saddens me to see many young Thai futiley "bleaching" themselves in pursuit of pale skin and presenting as wax dummies.

They could have used 2 faces of the same colour.

Or not used people at all.

Its not rocket science (no disrespect intended to you, Dumbastheycome).

Two faces of same colour? Ok....and so how to differentiate ugly and beauty without cultural/social/ personal bias or opinion? These two words in particular Ithink are not so easy to give an accurate perspective of conceptual accuracy to.

No offence taken but in a similar vein "dumb" in some cultures is automatically interpreted as stupid.

Whereas my interpretation and intent of use is as the original derived meaning being"without the ability to vocalize".

It also doubles as a taunt to the North American commenters who also use "mad" or "sore as meaning angry. My derived meaning of each of these words are " pshycologically unbalanced" and " in pain" respectively.

wai.gif

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second guy is an ugly git, not? He's got tattoos on his face. Dont understand why this is made into a color discussion.n

lol you are just a racist brat including all the people that liked this stupid comment. He is the only black person on the cover and he is termed as BLACK!

10% of your words are plain insults and you call me a racist stupid brat? Where does it say that he's ugly because he's darker skinned/black? Our brains are programmed not to like visual gaps and fill them in immediately. In the majority of cases (and yours) we would fill this gap in with indoctrinated racial presumptions. Simpler said, you are just guessing that the motive of calling this kid ugly is his skin color. I am guessing that he's called ugly because of his tattoos, which of course is a similar assumptive error. Only difference that that does does make me a racist unlike yourself who immediately assumes a racial reasoning.

Clear case of the pot calling kettle black (excuses for the Freudian slip).

Calling people brats or stupid don't really attribute to the strength of your arguments and are probably fueled by frustration, alcohol or an intense lack of EQ.

Well the way I see it is,, like it or not,if it does its job then great, The brown one is ugly,as far as Thai cuture is concerned so there we have it.

Just to add. If we woud of had this kind of education in the UK years ago,it would not be in the mess it is today.

Well the way I see it is,, like it or not,if it does its job then great, The brown one is ugly,as far as Thai cuture is concerned so there we have it.

Just to add. If we woud of had this kind of education in the UK years ago,it would not be in the mess it is today.

Nonsense.

"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Edited by Bluespunk

As I have pointed out in an earlier comment the chart or poster can be regarded as racist depending on which side of the fence one sits. But that is based on a personal view and not on facts. To make that poster a racist tool one has to prove that it was done intentionally and that the designer intended to discriminate against African people. Yes, the poster or chart is offensive and it shouldn’t have seen the light of the day; however that doesn’t qualify it to become the benchmark to prove that Thai people are racists in their majority as many of the commentators here suggest.

"To make that poster a racist tool one has to prove that it was done intentionally and that the designer intended to discriminate"

Is it not possible for someone to be a racist or a bigot and be so thoroughly indoctrinated and culturally from birth accepting of it as to not be aware of it or think of their behavior as racist?

And another question: how can you possibly suggest that someone who designs a poster on which a white face is labeled "handsome" and a black face labeled "ugly" isn't depicting discrimination based on color? It would be hard to imagine anything more overtly discriminatory! Clearly, in attempting to explain the English words "handsome" and "ugly", the designer used skin color as the discriminator.

In my experience most racists end up spending a lot of time denying they are racist.

Racism is a product of ignorance and fear........intention to discriminate is often subliminal - only a racist could look at that chart an argue it isn't racist.

I'm sure you are denying that you're a paedophile right? Well, with your logic... well..

Maybe it's time for you to go take that high school diploma (that you admitted not having) and then take a few courses at university. Preferably in the west.

I would say YOU'RE the one who needs some courses - in logic. He actually SAID, "in my experience most racists ...deny ... they are racist". That doesn't imply that all who deny being so are racist, but rather that those that ARE racist DO DENY it. If all unlocked boxes are empty, that doesn't mean everything empty is an unlocked box... It's often said that most prisoners deny their guilt; that doesn't mean that everyone who denies guilt is a prisoner.

Nonsense.

"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Yes,and what has that to do with this? You cant change the cuture....... The UK would of been a better place if they had listend to Enoch Polwell MBE.

Nonsense.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Yes,and what has that to do with this? You cant change the cuture....... The UK would of been a better place if they had listend to Enoch Polwell MBE.

Typo = Powell

Nonsense.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nonsense on the enoch aspect of your post.

As for my quote's relevance…you mentioned education in your post that I quoted.

My point is that a good education encourages critical thought.

Any such education would expose the bigotry that lay behind the image used in that vocabulary chart.

Edited by Bluespunk

Many of these replies are what I would expect from those coming from ridiculously politically correct countries, where you can’t call a spade a spade. One reason I like Thailand is because I can say exactly what my opinion of a certain race is. Thai people speak with their hearts and say dark skin in ugly. Get over it with all the PC crap. Has anyone ever been to Papua New Guinea? I think the people there are ugly. Has anyone ever been to Ukraine? I think the people there are beautiful. Am I a racist? Maybe I have been in Thailand to long or not long enough in a brain-washing European society.

Many of these replies are what I would expect from those coming from ridiculously politically correct countries, where you can’t call a spade a spade. One reason I like Thailand is because I can say exactly what my opinion of a certain race is. Thai people speak with their hearts and say dark skin in ugly. Get over it with all the PC crap. Has anyone ever been to Papua New Guinea? I think the people there are ugly. Has anyone ever been to Ukraine? I think the people there are beautiful. Am I a racist? Maybe I have been in Thailand to long or not long enough in a brain-washing European society.

Opposing racism isn't a PC concept, it's the right thing to do.

The chart or the opinion that white skin is more beautiful is not racism.

Many of these replies are what I would expect from those coming from ridiculously politically correct countries, where you cant call a spade a spade. One reason I like Thailand is because I can say exactly what my opinion of a certain race is. Thai people speak with their hearts and say dark skin in ugly. Get over it with all the PC crap. Has anyone ever been to Papua New Guinea? I think the people there are ugly. Has anyone ever been to Ukraine? I think the people there are beautiful. Am I a racist? Maybe I have been in Thailand to long or not long enough in a brain-washing European society.

Judging someone ugly on the basis of their colour is racist. It is bigoted and prejudicial thinking based on racism.

You are correct but it's the zealousness with which the banner is carried forwards that gets under the skin. I would class racism as acting out the dislike, ie. refusing to employ someone purely because of their ethnicity but not a personal dislike of a race or colour however illogical. I wouldn't want my daughter to marry a black man but i wouldn't ostracize him if the unlikely event took place, i would expect my Thai/British son to marry a Thai woman because he lives here and i would be happy with that. We don't need a PC Gestapo telling us what we SHOULD or MUST feel. I dislike the Muslim culture and i wouldn't mix with Muslims given the choice, that's racist, who cares, not me it's MY CHOICE.

Many of these replies are what I would expect from those coming from ridiculously politically correct countries, where you cant call a spade a spade. One reason I like Thailand is because I can say exactly what my opinion of a certain race is. Thai people speak with their hearts and say dark skin in ugly. Get over it with all the PC crap. Has anyone ever been to Papua New Guinea? I think the people there are ugly. Has anyone ever been to Ukraine? I think the people there are beautiful. Am I a racist? Maybe I have been in Thailand to long or not long enough in a brain-washing European society.

You are correct but it's the zealousness with which the banner is carried forwards that gets under the skin. I would class racism as acting out the dislike, ie. refusing to employ someone purely because of their ethnicity but not a personal dislike of a race or colour however illogical. I wouldn't want my daughter to marry a black man but i wouldn't ostracize him if the unlikely event took place, i would expect my Thai/British son to marry a Thai woman because he lives here and i would be happy with that. We don't need a PC Gestapo telling us what we SHOULD or MUST feel. I dislike the Muslim culture and i wouldn't mix with Muslims given the choice, that's racist, who cares, not me it's MY CHOICE.
I judge people on who they are and not what they are.

That's not PC, it's the only way to break down the barriers of hate and mistrust that prejudicial, knee jerk stereotypes build up.

Edited by Bluespunk

Judging someone ugly on the basis of their colour is racist. It is bigoted and prejudicial thinking based on racism.

Or corresponds to their sense of the aesthetic, i find the bone structure and features, not necessarily the colour, of most Africans to be ugly

Or corresponds to their sense of the aesthetic, i find the bone structure and features, not necessarily the colour, of most Africans to be ugly

Judging someone ugly on the basis of their colour is bigotry.

you have trouble reading, read my post again. Having said that a dislike of the colour green makes one a bigot? You are very free and easy with your labels and annoyingly zealous, enough to drive one into the arms of the KKK.

What's on the pages for Thais kids learning about food?

MSG = good

Sugar = good

fresh vegetables = must be overcooked and heavily spiced

bread = white starch

rice = white starch

snacks devoid of nutrition = good

100% orange juice = needs sugar and salt

100% fruit juice = 80% fruit advertised (look closely at ingredients, if in doubt)

avocados = yucky

That's not PC, it's the only way to break down the barriers of hate and mistrust that prejudicial, knee jerk stereotypes build up.

I try not to judge people.

However, I treat all people the same however ugly they are.

I've never met a beautiful Aborigine but knew some beautiful Red Indians. This is fact, not racial.

Although Thailand doesn't mean "free land" like many think, it is indeed free to express one's opinions. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the beholder in Thailand thinks white is more beautiful than black - get over it.

I've never met a beautiful Aborigine but knew some beautiful Red Indians. This is fact, not racial.

The person who created the vocab chart chose a dark skin colour to represent ugly. That is bigotry.

Although Thailand doesn't mean "free land" like many think, it is indeed free to express one's opinions. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the beholder in Thailand thinks white is more beautiful than black - get over it.

You know, I don't think I will.

The person who created the vocab chart chose a dark skin colour to represent ugly. That is bigotry.

Would it have been bigotry if it was a face of a white person?

@Asheron

You asked me exactly the same question earlier in this thread and I made very clear to you what I think about those who spread hatred through their use of bigotry and intolerance.

You want to see it again then read all the posts on this thread.

Edited by Bluespunk

@Asheron

You asked me exactly the same question earlier in this thread and I made very clear to you what I think about those who spread hatred through their use of bigotry and intolerance.

You want to see it again then read all the posts on this thread.

Didn't realize it was you but i rather not go through 23 pages to find your answer...

But lets assume you said it was bigotry to have a "white face" as ugly... the question, atleast for me, rises "which kind of color should the face then had?".