Vocabulary chart teaches children that dark skin is 'ugly'

webfact

Vocabulary chart teaches children that dark skin is 'ugly'
By Coconuts Bangkok

chart.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A illustration designed to teach Thai children English adjectives caused an uproar online last night for showing that dark skin is “ugly”.

The pig is fat, the bat is thin, and the giraffe is tall. There seems to be nothing wrong in this helpful poster titled “We are different,” at first until you scroll down to see the illustration of beauty in the Thai creators’ perception.

Thailand: What is wrong with this picture?Hmmm...
Posted by Michael Yon on Thursday, July 30, 2015

The word “handsome” is illustrated by a light-skinned cartoon character with a trendy K-pop inspired haircut, the look and complexion which is considered preferable in Thailand.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/31/vocabulary-chart-teaches-children-dark-skin-ugly

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-31

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they simply should have used the same colour skin with the extras, big earings, facial tattoos, scars etc but then again, tit. Also notice that the beauty is white/western appearance and not thai

Edited by seajae

Thai racism at it's finest.

Implanting in the heads of children that can barely read, that black people are ugly.

Terrible that the education department actually let this through.

I know, I know...it's a "misunderstanding".

The second guy is an ugly git, not? He's got tattoos on his face. Dont understand why this is made into a color discussion.n

Then perhaps you should look more closely at the pictures.

Colour has clearly played a part in the criteria used to choose the pictures.

The second guy is an ugly git, not? He's got tattoos on his face. Dont understand why this is made into a color discussion.n

Are you sure its not the tattoos or the earrings that make the kid ugly? The fairer Korean looking boy's facial features are more symmetrical as well, We assume that Thais are per definition racists, while we don't know the reasons why the maker of the poster calls the other kid ugly.

If you see 2 girls, one is ugly and dark and the other pretty and fair skinned, does that make you a racist when asked about your preference?

If the creator of this educational poster intended to mean that dark skinned people are uglier than light skinned people, then yes he's a racist.

I think he is just plain dumb to put such a possible sensibility on an educational learning resource.

I understand your points, but want to be careful to play the racist card. I think the person responsible for this material lacks a certain number of brain cells rather than being a racist.

Have Thais got childish minds or are they just naturally cretins.

Both. but I doubt the author made that association deliberately.

As Napoleon said "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by incompetence". Also known as "Hanlon's razor". You'll be needing that a lot if you are in Thailand for any length of time.

Well expressing ignorance is a disgrace. The use of racism is from your quote, is loosely compared to being stupid. Yes if you have been here long enough you know that, Thais are ingrained ith racism. I have herad it from many affleuent Thais. "We are not racist we just don't like coiloured people, and others" They just don't or won't accept what they say are racist comments.

Yes i agree with you should get use to it here in Thailand if you are going to live here for any length of time. Very much like I here when some Thai people say, you just dont understand Thai culture. sorry yes I do, I just dont agree with it.

I am not shocked at the article and see it on a regular basis. What does shock me is those who try to defend the ignorance of it.

Are you sure its not the tattoos or the earrings that make the kid ugly? The fairer Korean looking boy's facial features are more symmetrical as well, We assume that Thais are per definition racists, while we don't know the reasons why the maker of the poster calls the other kid ugly.

If you see 2 girls, one is ugly and dark and the other pretty and fair skinned, does that make you a racist when asked about your preference?

If the creator of this educational poster intended to mean that dark skinned people are uglier than light skinned people, then yes he's a racist.

I think he is just plain dumb to put such a possible sensibility on an educational learning resource.

I understand your points, but want to be careful to play the racist card. I think the person responsible for this material lacks a certain number of brain cells rather than being a racist.

Having lived here for 13 years, yes I am sure.

Looking at the pretty and beautiful pictures, they are both fair skinned.

As is the the picture of the guy for good.

Colour is playing a role.

Only the ugly picture has a dark skinned individual. Something completely unnecessary if tattoos and earrings were the criteria for ugly.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thai racism at it's finest.

Implanting in the heads of children that can barely read, that black people are ugly.

Terrible that the education department actually let this through.

I know, I know...it's a "misunderstanding".

Not necessarily a misunderstanding! Thais view even dark skinned Thais as unattractive.

The Thai education system is full of racism and xenophobia.

When I was hired to teach English conversation, I was told to use a Thai, ASEAN textbook that school had selected for the class.

About six weeks into the course, I came across a conversation that I refused to teach to the students.

" I do not like Kenny."

"Why don't you like him?"

"Kenny is not Thai."

"Oh. then I do not like Kenny too!"

I could not believe that this was in an ASEAN textbook!

I guess that if youare not Thai, you are just a bad person!!

Have Thais got childish minds or are they just naturally cretins.

Both. but I doubt the author made that association deliberately.

As Napoleon said "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by incompetence". Also known as "Hanlon's razor". You'll be needing that a lot if you are in Thailand for any length of time.

Well expressing ignorance is a disgrace. The use of racism is from your quote, is loosely compared to being stupid. Yes if you have been here long enough you know that, Thais are ingrained ith racism. I have herad it from many affleuent Thais. "We are not racist we just don't like coiloured people, and others" They just don't or won't accept what they say are racist comments.

Yes i agree with you should get use to it here in Thailand if you are going to live here for any length of time. Very much like I here when some Thai people say, you just dont understand Thai culture. sorry yes I do, I just dont agree with it.

I am not shocked at the article and see it on a regular basis. What does shock me is those who try to defend the ignorance of it.

Robert Browning summed it up rather well....

post-147745-0-70047500-1438342003_thumb.

Only the ugly picture has a dark skinned individual. Something completely unnecessary if tattoos and earrings were the criteria for ugly.

I understand your points and I have also lived here for ages, but what if the handsome kid was dark and the ugly white? Then it would be racist as well.

Educational resources should not show images of people to describe ugly or prettiness. Its tasteless and wrong, but not per definition racist. You don't know what the designer of this fine piece of had in mind when he made it.

Edited by SoilSpoil

But why should schools even be attempting to teach what is beautiful and what is ugly?

Ugly and beautiful are both a matter of perception and opinion.

Some ( like me) think dark skin is very attractive.

Some ( not me ) think tattoos and piercings are attractive.

This is not education, it is brainwashing!

Do you expect a child to just understand automatically that 'ugly' is in reference to the tattoos and not to his skin color? Why would they? They would automatically look for the biggest differences in appearance not the smallest, and base their understanding of the word on that. The chances are the child would think that handsome and ugly meant light and dark skin.

Have you ever met a Thai who thinks that dark skin is more attractive than fair skin? The shops are full of whitener not fake tan.

I understand your points and I have also lived here for ages, but what if the handsome kid was dark and the ugly white? Then it would be racist as well.

Educational resources should not show images of people to describe ugly or prettiness. Its tasteless and wrong, but not per definition racist. You don't know what the designer of this fine piece of had in mind when he made it.

I feel I do.

Whether they were being deliberately offensive or not I can't say.

But they made a deliberate choice to use a dark skinned face to represent ugly.

Colour played a role in their reasoning.

They see dark skin as a trait that is undesirable and ugly.

The institutionalised racism of many UK police forces in the early 80s might be an appropriate comparison.

Edited by Bluespunk

I think it bone structure in this case!

We just got a miss Thailand who is very very tan remember!

Everybody no matter where they are from. Prefer a clean look and

symmetric face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Puggaddong

Everything and I mean everything a Thai thinks passes through a "status filter" automatically. The person designing this poster did this subconsciously. There was no deliberate thinking.

First of all: "ugly" is a matter of taste and can not be defined!

Second: I am not at all surprised!

Third: yeah, yeah it happens everywhere not only in Thailand and dont be so nanny state an PC...shut the fork up!

Fourth and finally: what vile, ignorant, racist dum@$$es!

I think it bone structure in this case!

We just got a miss Thailand who is very very tan remember!

Everybody no matter where they are from. Prefer a clean look and

symmetric face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you expect a child to understand that the word ugly is referencing the perceived difference in attraction of facial bone structure and to overlook the apparently coincidental skin color choice?

Your idea that everyone everywhere prefers a clean look is not evidenced by the Maori penchant for facial tattoos nor by the Ethiopians fondness for facial scarring, in reality of course perception of beauty is purely a learned condition.