Importing a 3D printer into Thailand

SymS

I'm considering buying a low cost ($200 to $300) 3D printer, and I would probably buy it online from China, since I can't find any of the model(s) I'd like in Thailand.

But in the past I've seen wild fluctuation for custom duties, and sometimes it goes up to 100% of the value, which would completely kill the deal for me...

The website duty calculator indicates no duty is payable, and I'd just need to pay 7% VAT. See http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-3d-printer/

I would probably buy a kit to assemble, rather than a fully assembled 3D printer Not sure if it affects the customs duties too. I also don't know if that website is reliable.

I've tried the Thai customs website (http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp), but I'm quite lost on how to use it, as it requires a code. The one provided on Duty calculator does not work.

So if somebody has already bought a 3D printer from overseas, it would be nice if you could share your experience.

Thank you!

The Thai Customs site does work but isn't very user friendly.

1 - Go to: http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

2 - Select "Search for Import Tariff"

3 - In the top box (Tariff Code 2,4,6,7,8 digit) enter 8477

4 - Scroll down to and click 8477.80.39. You will see that the default duty rate is 30%

5 - Under the heading "Duty Reduction" select "All". Now click "Show"

You should see this page showing that under various Bilateral & Multilateral FTA's (incl. China) it is "Exempted"

post-215766-0-31518900-1438408369_thumb.

However! This is all good in theory but completely depends on who handles the customs clearance. If you're going to use e.g. DHL, give them a call or email first. They can inform you how to declare on the shipping documents so that it is cleared under the correct tariff code.

• 2 years later...
On 8/1/2015 at 1:03 PM, thedemon said:

However! This is all good in theory but completely depends on who handles the customs clearance. If you're going to use e.g. DHL, give them a call or email first. They can inform you how to declare on the shipping documents so that it is cleared under the correct tariff code.

Thanks so much for the great info thedemon!  :biggrin:  I'm in the process of ordering the highly rated Creality CR10 3D printer currently on sale at Banggood.com and I'm worried about the fees thanks to Thailand's ridiculously complex import duties system and website.  I've ordered many things online during the longer than a decade time I've lived here.  I've paid import taxes ranging from 0% to 21% and learned it's always a roulette wheel spin as to what percentage the Thai customs dept will charge.

Thanks again! 

On 8/1/2015 at 1:03 PM, thedemon said:

That's good info, but be aware that the customs agent can change the HS code if they think the paperwork isn't correct or, as in my case, on a whim.  When it's $20-50, it's hard to justify arguing.  Also, depending on who's doing the clearing for you their fee can far exceed the amount of the duties and taxes.  

If it's one item from BangGood or AliExpress, you probably won't feel any pain- just minor irritation at worst.  If it's Lazada, the quoted price is a delivered price.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

If it's one item from BangGood or AliExpress, you probably won't feel any pain- just minor irritation at worst.  If it's Lazada, the quoted price is a delivered price.

I hope you're right impulse.  I just ordered a CR10 from Banggood today.  For the customs declaration I asked BG to tweak the sale price and to declare the package as a "Hobby Do-It-Yourself 3D printer" and "Exempted from Thai import taxes due to existing FTA with China".  I'll update this info if/when I receive it. Hopefully it won't be long since BG is shipping it via express 5-8 business days.

As usual, importing anything into Thailand—post-May 2014—I'm crossing my fingers!  :sad:

7 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

is there a place in BKK with supplies for the 3D printer ?

Don't know about brick and mortar shops in BKK but I just checked Lazada.co.th and found several 3D printer models (all severely overpriced) and some supplies.  There are quite a few listings for 1.75mm x 1kg rolls of ABS and PLA filaments in various colors.  Typical of Lazada, prices range from not great to ridiculously high.  Careful searching yielded some semi-decent priced examples.  There are also many listings for shorter lengths of filament.

Once Banggood.com confirms my CR10 printer is on the way I will order a couple of 1kg rolls from Lazada since they typically offer free shipping and Cash On Delivery for most listings.  This is a good option for those of us without Thai credit cards.  Not long ago I ordered some Li-Po batteries for my Hubsan drone COD from Lazada and they arrived quickly from BKK... and via DHL!

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Great and intresting replys, Good Luck with your 3D printer.(SYMS) FYI: XYZ Printers are assembled in Thailand, I know because I have had a de Vinci Pro for a year to print one off prototypes electronic glasses. It has nevered worked for me, I have been on this site looking for like minds, but nothing, I know I should post, but, the few times I have I get the village idiots telingl me that  Friar Tuck is doing relegous instruction  and you would be a fool to do that. but, I do know the customs (Robin Hood) give a runaround and the staff at DHL are sniches and do all the sorting! I have been caught several times, and found like most of you, is better to smile and move on. I still have projects I need plastic for but I do not know any Plastic molders / 3D priners that you can describe your requiment to Pay your money and get what you want...Sorry if I sound a bit negitive and I do hope that you have a good experiance Gimbo, special thanks to thedemon for great post,