True billion modem/router won't open/forward port

speedtripler

Does anyone use one of these?

I need to open a port in the 8000's range for a specific programme and can't figure out how to do it from the instructions on true website

If anyone has done this manually I'd love to know the steps because the online info doesn't seem to work for me and I'm usually pretty good with tech issues.. :(

I have tried to configure it

1. Using DMZ. But receive no packets. Tried with bitcoin (8333) port. Maybe True is filtering

2. Using NAT (Virtual Server) on port 80. Makes it impossible to connect to an outside web server.

I am monitoring the connections on my workstation with iptables (under Linux) and occationally with wireshark.

I want to ask True about what to do. Until then, I believe there is a problem with the Billion router.

As I am about to move, I don't even know if I will use True at the new location.

It would be nice to hear if anybody has been successful with this.

I wanted to open port 8333 24/7 to allow others to share some of my files but after following the directions on true website via Google translate it doesn't seem to be working, I can get download from outwards connections on this port but it doesn't seem to be open for others to download from me....

I have tried to configure it

1. Using DMZ. But receive no packets. Tried with bitcoin (8333) port. Maybe True is filtering

2. Using NAT (Virtual Server) on port 80. Makes it impossible to connect to an outside web server.

I am monitoring the connections on my workstation with iptables (under Linux) and occationally with wireshark.

I want to ask True about what to do. Until then, I believe there is a problem with the Billion router.

As I am about to move, I don't even know if I will use True at the new location.

It would be nice to hear if anybody has been successful with this.

That's precisely what I wanted to do lol

I want to let people verify their copy of bitcoin blockchain against mine and download some if they need it ie. be a part of the network if you will...

I have no problems downloading the blocks from other people but I want them to have the ability to download from me also...

Just a thought...how are you checking your routers ip address, true is known for using proxies so could be hitting the proxy which doesnt have the port open instead.

Not actually tried port forwarding on true, always so tempramental that its just my backup, my ports are handled on 3bb which works fine.

Make sure your TrueInternet Billion Router WAN Port is receiving a PUBLIC IP Address

If the router WAN Port is being issued an IP Address from the Reserved IP Address list below then Carrier Grade NAT is in effect, where an upstream GATEWAY is used to SHARE A COMMON PUBLIC IP ADDRESS among hundreds or thousands of ISP users, and no Port Forwards can be established.

Private/Reserved IP Addresses are primarily used by Mobile/Wireless ISPs but are sometimes used by wireline ISPs.

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
100.64.0.0 – 100.127.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 range normally only used on home/residential LANs

Make sure your TrueInternet Billion Router WAN Port is receiving a PUBLIC IP Address

If the router WAN Port is being issued an IP Address from the Reserved IP Address list below then Carrier Grade NAT is in effect, where an upstream GATEWAY is used to SHARE A COMMON PUBLIC IP ADDRESS among hundreds or thousands of ISP users, and no Port Forwards can be established.

Private/Reserved IP Addresses are primarily used by Mobile/Wireless ISPs but are sometimes used by wireline ISPs.

10.0.0.0 10.255.255.255

100.64.0.0 100.127.255.255

172.16.0.0 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 192.168.255.255 range normally only used on home/residential LANs

mine is something like 192.168.x.x etc from memory, I'll check when I get home tonight or tomorrow, hopefully it can be easily rectified without the dread of having to call the "helpline"... :0

192.x.x.x could easily be your lan (local network) address and if so no probs.

But yes if the wan entry is shown in the ranges above you will have issues.

Check both what the router itself reports in wan status and what a site like whatsmyip.com says.

The 192.168.1.x addresses are used by your router LAN and LAN Connected devices.

This is OK, as your Billion router is acting as a Gateway/NAT and translating those private LAN IP Addresses to your WAN IP Address as the data packet go out.

Since it's happening on equipment you control you can issue Port Forwards or utilize UPnP to allow data packets to flow a specific IP Address on your LAN. No issues with this.

But if TRUE is also using an upstream Gateway/NAT then you won't have control over Port Forwards or ability to use UPnP to Port Forward on demand.

If you are receiving a Private/Reserved IP Address assigned to the router WAN Port, sometime talking to the right person at True who understands "Reserved IP; Carrier Grade NAT IP, Need to use Port Forward, need a Public IP Address" can sometimes get them to reset the provisioning setup so you get a Public IP Address.

Though for any of this to even matter, you need to see what the WAN IP Address of your router is. If it's a Private/Reserved IP then the above applies. If it's not a Private/Reserved IP number then it doesn't and you can skip all this (why did he even bring it up) nonsense.

Archived