NRC backs reform before poll stance

Lite Beer

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- VOCAL National Reform Council members agree with a proposal by former politician turned People's Democratic Reform Foundation chairman Suthep Thaugsuban to reform the country before holding a general election but insist a reform timetable needs to be set.

Alternatively, it was argued that rejecting the draft charter so the process would have to start from scratch was a viable method to extending the reform process.

Wanchai Sornsiri said Suthep knew what was proper and what was not and offered his opinion without pressure.

He agreed with the idea of delivering reform before holding the election, but preferred to see the draft charter rejected

Through this approach, reformers would have about one more year to finish the reform work before holding an election, he said.

Wanchai said the ongoing reform was like a social contract with the public, and as such it was the duty of the concerned bodies, including the NRC, to accomplish it, although he was yet to see a solid reform foundation laid.

NRC member Paiboon Nitita-wan said some members would gather signatures from colleagues in support of having a question on the need to complete reform before elections inserted in the referendum on the new charter.

Paiboon said Suthep's proposal of reforming the country without a timeframe was his personal view, but extending the work by two years should be more than enough.

Source:http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NRC-backs-reform-before-poll-stance-30265659.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-01

Wanchai Sornsiri ... agreed with the idea of delivering reform before holding the election, but preferred to see the draft charter rejected

Through this approach, reformers would have about one more year to finish the reform work before holding an election, he said.

the (anti-democratic) force is strong in this one...

Wanchai Sornsiri ... agreed with the idea of delivering reform before holding the election, but preferred to see the draft charter rejected

But I will not join him on the "darkside"!

And no, I do not mean the other side of Suk Road in Pattaya ;-)

Interesting times lie ahead. The event hasn't happened so they have lost over a year's grace. The economy is not in good shape. Folks are fed up with stiff men in uniform blathering on on TV about how wonderful everything is and change the channel, only to find the same programme on everywhere. There are no signs of elections.

I think they don't know what to do. Crack down and further antagonise people? Lighten up a little and risk opening the floodgates of protest?

Fasten your seatbelts for a bumpy ride...

so what have they been doing for the last 14 months, then??

Having a whale of a time being fawned over and telling people what to do. Alas for them the wheels seem to be falling off now..

I see little evidence of any kind of real reform happening. Sure, the military are great at pushing the little guy around, but zero signs of tackling the really big issues, such as police and judicial reform. Even corruption is being ignored. All we are getting are a few very well publicised cases to make it look like something is being done.

I have said it before, and I will continue to say it until something substantial starts to happen, and is, without complete, top to bottom, reform of the police and justice system, NOTHING will change in this country. The lack of any movement in this area begs the question, why? Too many vested interests, too many important toes would be stepped on?

And the elephant in the room is the military, who also desperately need reform.

And if a second referendum fails to approve the charter, does the Junta just continue on infinitum?

Any timetable for a referendum and followup election is presumptious as the NCPO has not amended its Interim Charter to even provide for any referendum. Prayut has said basically he'll wait to see what is necessary when the draft is completed before considering such an amendment.

Under Article 44 Prayut can disband the current NRC and CDC and simply restart the draft charter process, taking however long and by whatever process he choses to implement it.

Prayut also has the option to simply have the 2015 draft constitution made law without a referendum as the Junta did with its 1997 draft constitution. The then Junta-appointed National Assembly (similar to today's Junta-appointed National Legislative Assembly) overwhelmingly <surprise> approved the draft and then endorsed by the Head of State without any referendum.

Suthep suggestions don't add anything more to Prayut's timetable. But more importantly he doesn't disrupt Prayut's timetable.

Suthep and Prayut are like political BFF's.

Edited by Srikcir

Feel free to substitute "when pigs fly" or "when it snows in Bangkok" for "reform".

Alternatively, it was argued that rejecting the draft charter so the process would have to start from scratch was a viable method to extending the reform process.

So "lose, lose" for the populace?

There won't be a national election (I don't mean a Charter referendum) here until 2020, at the earliest. Maybe they can hold a Bangkok Governor's election before then?

so what have they been doing for the last 14 months, then??

Having a whale of a time being fawned over and telling people what to do. Alas for them the wheels seem to be falling off now..

yeah, I don't think the wheels have come close to falling off yet. Maybe a little low on air, but when the wheels really fall off, we'll all know. thumbsup.gif

Student activists "we want an election!" Army "right! To The cells with you!"

Suthep "I'm very much conmentating politically but don't worry, I say keep the status quo as it is" Army "Yeah good idea stooge"

We will have mass protests within the next two years. Mark my words.

There's a very good piece by Kong Rithdee on this in today's BP, so unlinkable.

I think it must now be clear you're right on the money. There will not be an election in Thailand until the army and it's backers (whom we all know) can be sure of delivering the results the kleptocracy wants.

It may be the case that a civil war will be the only way to avoid Thailand going the way of Burma. and I think that has been clear from day 1 of the treasonous coup d'etat. Seizing power at the point of a gun - its the 21st century for God's sake, these people live five or six hundred years in the past.

The redshirts have been very cowardly, and are waiting for Prayuth to completely bugger things up - which he is in the process of doing right now. I can foresee all this becoming extremely grim if they ever grow any balls - which is not by any means on the cards just yet.

Forget Thaksin, no help is coming from that quarter, remember he is as much a part of the kleptocracy as Prem, even though he fell from grace by being too popular. He used the reds as power base like you and I might use a spanner or a screwdriver.

Forget the pro-junta foreigners as well, they don't care about anything except making sure their supply of lager and hookers doesn't dry up.

Whilst I agree with the thrust of your post, I do wish those here continuing the binary pro junta/red shirt would accept the fact that there are many Thais who have allegiance to neither. They're simply too afraid to speak out seeing how the 'chicken was treated in front of the monkeys', the students and now the new Democracy group. Also consider that mainstream media are very limited in what they can/will report on. You must seek out other sources for that.

As far as the 'Red Shirts being very cowardly', there are those non affiliated with Taksin who too are being pursued/having their attitudes adjusted. The rent a mob's long been dispersed, Taksin's not throwing good money after bad.