Ladles

Kanga Japan

Can someone tell me if there is any difference in the following, or are they all ladles?

1. KRABUAI (กระบวย)

2. CHAWAK (จวัก)

3. THAP PHI (ทัพพี)

I understand that a TAWAK (ตวัก) is a ladle made from a coconut shell.

If any of them are unusual and you happen to have one, a photo would be great. I have a coconut shell ladle.

Thanks for your help.

Dear Puggaddong,

Thank you very much for that. With the photos, it's very easy to understand. So. if I understand correctly:

1. KRABUAI (กระบวย) - the metal ladle with the wooden handle

2. CHAWAK (จวัก)

3. THAP PHI (ทัพพี) - the small spoon-type ladles, mainly used for rice

4. TAWAK (ตวัก) - the coconut shell ladle

Do you (or anyone else) know what the CHAWAK is?

Thank you for your help.

Dear Puggaddong,

Thank you for your reply. Not sure exactly what you mean by you "only know that two is OK".

Do you mean that the following two are OK?

1. KRABUAI (กระบวย) - the metal ladle with the wooden handle

3. THAP PHI (ทัพพี) - the small spoon-type ladles, mainly used for rice

I will remove CHAWAK (จวัก).

I will leave TAWAK (ตวัก) - the coconut shell ladle in, if someone else can confirm that this word is correct and is also used nowadays. I don't want to include any words which are no longer used.

Thank you for all your help.

Dea vogie,

Sorry to get you all excited. I should have typed it in capitals.

Wish I could change it to BIG SPOONS, but it's out there now.

Perhaps a cold shower would make you feel better.

Edited by Kanga Japan

According to the RID:

กระบวย is specifically used for bailing out water or for drinking water and is made from a half coconut shell.

จวัก is also made of a half coconut shell and is used for serving curry or rice.

ทัพพี is made from brass and resembles a large spoon and is also used for serving curry or rice. It's from an Indic language which would make me think this is a more formal word.

ตวัก is defined exactly the same as จวัก.

Dear AyG,

Thank you for your reply. It's good to hear from you.

I note your remarks and thank you for that.

Apparently, these names are often used interchangeable (and probably mistakenly). When you look on the internet at shops selling these utensils, various names are used.

I am just wondering - what would be the name for the standard ladle used in western countries (the metal one with the wooden handle in the earlier photo)?

Thank you again.

I am just wondering - what would be the name for the standard ladle used in western countries (the metal one with the wooden handle in the earlier photo)?

กระบวย

See, for example

http://www.anchorwares.com/product_detail.php?TypeID=52&TypeSubID=0&ID=847

http://www.truelife.com/detail/706342

http://www.zebra-head.com/NTH/Product/ProductSubCategory.asp?subcategoryid=&categoryid=0000000004&haveSubCategory=true

(First and last are manufacturers, the second is a blog.)

Dear AyG,

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

In your earlier post you said:

กระบวย is specifically used for bailing out water or for drinking water and is made from a half coconut shell.

Thanks.

I was just translating what the RID says. It may not 100% reflect contemporary usage.

Would it be possible to change the title of your post from Ladles to Big Spoons please, I thought it said Ladies, and was more enthusiastic than I am now. Thanks

Could it be that you've spent rather too much time looking at pictures of naughty, scantily-clad ladles and your eye-sight has been affected?

Dear AyG and Pla shado,

Thank you both for your contributions. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, however I was going through the interesting link AyG sent of those ingenuous traditional Thai utensils (also I was not able to connect to the forum for a while - some problem apparently).

Based your comments, information, the link and some internet sites (for the western-type ladle), I have summarized the ladles in accordance with the attached list.

I hope that you are both in agreement with this.

Thank you again for your help.

LadlesPDF.pdf