British passport for Half-Thai Child - Lost Father's birth cert?

mja1906

Hi, I'm a British national (female) with a Thai husband. I'm about to apply for our baby's British passport. The only problem is that there's no way we're gonna be able to get hold of the father's birth certificate, as he was born in Chiang Mai in the early 1960's , the original certificate has been lost, and not even sure if they have such historical records at the amphur. The hospital he was born at , is not even open any more.

It's not like the British system, which has long historical records going back, and they could just re-issue a new birth cert.

He does have a Thai ID card though. Surely there must be lots of parents with lost birth certs, from a time, before any decent record keeping ? What happens then?

I'm in a similar position as my girlfriend is from Laos and has no record of her birth, other than a faded copy of a Lao house book. I'm assuming that her passport will be enough.

Thanks, let me know if a passport is enough. I'd be interested to hear. As on the supporting documents for parents it says full birth certificate of both parents is required https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342795/Supportingdocs2AUG2014.PDF , but there must be lots of other cases like this

The amphur is a small countryside one, and for sure wouldn't have records from the 1960s. I mean just because there is no record of birth, does that really matter? He can prove he's a Thai citizen from his Thai passport and Thai ID card. And in order for him to gain these, his birth would need to have been registered, and a birth cert issued at that time

Britain will accept a copy of the Thai ID card, if no birth certificate available.

I know because my misses had lost hers, and we used her ID card in it's place.

Consulate registry of birth and British passport provided with no problems.

(3 years ago)