Symmetrical

mosquitoman

It's not a word I have ever used or heard in Thailand myself, so might need confirmation, but this is what I found

thai2english.com: สมมาตร som[R]-maad[F] for "symmetry"

Oxford Duden: symmetrical= มีสัดส่วนรับกัน mii[M] sad[L]-suan[L] rab[H] kan[M]

symmetry = ความมีสัดส่วนรับกัน khwaam[M] mii[M] sad[L]-[suan[L] rab[H] kan[M]

or ลักษณะสมมาตร lak[H]-sa[L]-na[L] som[H]-maad[F]

สมมาตร

som maad or sa! ma! maad ?? (phonetically สะมะมาด)

สมมาตร is correct

" som maad "

Oxford Duden: symmetrical= มีสัดส่วนรับกัน mii[M] sad[L]-suan[L] rab[H] kan[M]

symmetry = ความมีสัดส่วนรับกัน khwaam[M] mii[M] sad[L]-[suan[L] rab[H] kan[M]

its the explaination

I have been looking in my dictionaries to try and find a translation for this word or the word symmetry but to no avail, all help is much appreciated.

Symmetry = สมมาตร (Som-Maad)

Then you have

Asymmetry = อสมมาตร (A-Som-Maad)

So do,

Human = มนุษย์ (Ma-Noot)

Non-Human = อมนุษย์ (A-Ma-Noot)

And

Fair = ยุติธรรม (Yu-Ti-Tam)

Unfair = อยุติธรรม (A-Yu-Ti-Tam)

And so on for Sansakrit-based words.

Not sure whether the Latin "A" in Asymmetry and the "อ-" in Sansakrit has the same root or not.

Edited by qualigenz

Not sure whether the Latin "A" in Asymmetry and the "อ-" in Sansakrit has the same root or not.

The 'a-' is Greek, not Latin. Yes, the two prefixes are cognate (and become an- before vowels e.g. อนัตตา 'not having a soul' cf. 'mahatma' 'great soul(ed)' - but try the Buddhism section for an accurate translation of the former!), and are cognate with Latin in- (assimilating to im-, il- and ir-) 'not' and English un-.

The 'a-' is Greek, not Latin. Yes, the two prefixes are cognate (and become an- before vowels e.g. อนัตตา 'not having a soul' cf. 'mahatma' 'great soul(ed)' - but try the Buddhism section for an accurate translation of the former!), and are cognate with Latin in- (assimilating to im-, il- and ir-) 'not' and English un-.

Thank you Richard for the explanation of these different prefixes from Greek, Latin and English.

For Thai people who has been taught Budhism since young, the word อนัตตา mean "Not Exist" i.e. "Not having soul, not having body (auto), not having anything" Meaning, everything, including me and your sould+body is rendered by unconsciousness. When we wake up then nothing will be left (and that's is when we are in อนัตตา environment).

I don't have a source for this, but สมมาตร looks like a ศัพท์บัญญัติ (coined term).

สม "same" corresponds to sym- and มาตร "measure" to -metry. Having the same measure, proportionate.

----

ัศัพท์บัญญัติ puzzle of the day: For those who like a challenge, here's a proposed coined term that someone from the Royal Institute told me they were having trouble getting to catch on. Apparently it's too opaque for most Thais' taste. อสมพาล [อะ-สะ-มะ-พาน].

See if you can figure out which English word it's meant to correspond with. The professor who told it to me asked me the same question. Of course, I was on the spot and couldn't figure it out. Y'all have the leisure of dictionaries and thinking about it. Have fun... :o

I don't have a source for this, but สมมาตร looks like a ศัพท์บัญญัติ (coined term).

สม "same" corresponds to sym- and มาตร "measure" to -metry. Having the same measure, proportionate.

----

ัศัพท์บัญญัติ puzzle of the day: For those who like a challenge, here's a proposed coined term that someone from the Royal Institute told me they were having trouble getting to catch on. Apparently it's too opaque for most Thais' taste. อสมพาล [อะ-สะ-มะ-พาน].

See if you can figure out which English word it's meant to correspond with. The professor who told it to me asked me the same question. Of course, I was on the spot and couldn't figure it out. Y'all have the leisure of dictionaries and thinking about it. Have fun... :o

I am a Thai but I admit that never heard of "อสมพาล". Are you sure it's not "อสมวาร (asynchronous)?

Terms with 'อสม-' from the Royal Institute that I know are:

asymmetry = อสมมาตร

anisometric = อสมมิติ

asynchronous = อสมวาร

inequality = อสมการ

Is this "อสมพาล" the new term?

The problem with terms proposed by the Royal Institute is that they try to use Pali/Sanskrit and so those terms sound "too formal" for Thai speakers. I suggest that they open a blog or webboard and let Thai Teenager help defining those terms for them. It will be quick and well accepted like the word "จ๊าบ" :D

Edited by qualigenz

I have been looking in my dictionaries to try and find a translation for this word or the word symmetry but to no avail, all help is much appreciated.

As my builder speaks some English, I asked him how to translate "symmetry". He had no idea what I was talking about :o

Oh, my, I must have misremembered--อสมวาร must be what I was thinking of. Makes sense, silly me. I was mixing up เพล with วาร, both being words related to time. Thanks for calling me on it! :o

Edited by Rikker

Speaking of the Royal Institute, try guessing what "แท่งหรรษา" is. :D

This one is not actually defined by Royin but people make joke on the Royal Institute.

I've heard this one, so here's a hint: it's an electronic input device...

Yes, it is "Joystick". This word (แท่งหรรษา) is not defined by the Royal Institute, but people put this word into their mouth. :o The term accepted by the Royal Institute for Joystick is "ก้านควบคุม" Both terms are not well accepted by Thai speakers, though. People prefer to say "จอยสติ๊ก"

คณิตกรณ์ is the word defined by the King for "Computer". This term is well accepted in academic environement for writing technical paper.

How about these terms:

1) พหุบัญชร

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์

and this one is cool!

4) เครือข่ายใยพิภพ

Yes, it is "Joystick". This word (แท่งหรรษา) is not defined by the Royal Institute, but people put this word into their mouth. :o The term accepted by the Royal Institute for Joystick is "ก้านควบคุม" Both terms are not well accepted by Thai speakers, though. People prefer to say "จอยสติ๊ก"

คณิตกรณ์ is the word defined by the King for "Computer". This term is well accepted in academic environement for writing technical paper.

How about these terms:

1) พหุบัญชร

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์

and this one is cool!

4) เครือข่ายใยพิภพ

How about these terms:

1) พหุบัญชร This is a tough one... I know บัญชร is window but not too sure with พหุ

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์ hardware

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์ software

and this one is cool!

4) เครือข่ายใยพิภพ network

Come on you have to make it a little harder than that.. (just joking)

qualigenz could you please clarify what is พหุบัญชร Is it Windows?

In The Rai!

How about these terms:

1) พหุบัญชร

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์

and this one is cool!

4) เครือข่ายใยพิภพ

How about these terms:

1) พหุบัญชร This is a tough one... I know บัญชร is window but not too sure with พหุ

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์ hardware

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์ software

and this one is cool!

In The Rai!

1) "บัญชร" = window. That's correct. พหุ = multi, poly (plural) and that makes พหุบัญชร = Windows. I personally like this one, but nobody really use it.

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์ = hardware

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์ = software

and

4) เครือข่ายใยพิภพ = World Wide Web

World = โลก, พิภพ

Web = ใย

Will come back with the harder one. BTW, please do not use these terms in your official documents. :D Nobody really use these terms (except เครือข่ายใยพิภพ) The correct terms defined by the Royal Institute are:

Windows = วินโดวส์

Hardware = ส่วนเครื่อง, ฮาร์ดแวร์

Software = ส่วนชุดคำสั่ง, ซอฟต์แวร์

World Wide Web = เวิลด์ไวด์เว็บ, เว็บ

Do not try to use these terms like in this Ads:

แท่งหรรษา ( เหมาะสำหรับทุกเพศทุกวัย ) :D:D

Edited by qualigenz

How about these terms:

1) พหุบัญชร

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์

and this one is cool!

4) เครือข่ายใยพิภพ

How about these terms:

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์ hardware

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์ software

and this one is cool!

In The Rai!

1) "บัญชร" = window. That's correct. พหุ = multi, poly (plural) and that makes พหุบัญชร = Windows. I personally like this one, but nobody really use it.

2) กระด้างภัณฑ์ = hardware

3) ละมุนภัณฑ์ = software

and

4) เครือข่ายใยพิภพ = World Wide Web

World = โลก, พิภพ

Web = ใย

Will come back with the harder one. BTW, please do not use these terms in your official documents. :D The correct terms defined by the Royal Institute are:

Windows = วินโดวส์

Hardware = ส่วนเครื่อง, ฮาร์ดแวร์

Software = ส่วนชุดคำสั่ง, ซอฟต์แวร์

World Wide Web = เวิลด์ไวด์เว็บ, เว็บ

Thank you kindly

In The Rai!

A teacher walked into a Computer class and tell her student to turn on the computer, move the mouse and use the joystick can be translated to:

"เอ้า นักเรียนเปิด คณิตกรณ์ ขยับแท่งล่อเป้า เขย่าแท่งหรรษา เร้วๆ" :o:D

แท่งหรรษา seeems to be to easy for you.

How'bout this one.

จิ๋วระทวย :o

You can ask your Thai friends if they know this one. :D

ทวย is tired

so

Is จิ๋ว a persons name?

so it could be..

จิ๋วระทวย Jiew is tired?

Again, that is all I can make of it?

I have never heard of it before like this just ทวย as tired.

In The Rai!

แท่งหรรษา seeems to be to easy for you.

How'bout this one.

จิ๋วระทวย :o

You can ask your Thai friends if they know this one. :D

ทวย is tired

so

Is จิ๋ว a persons name?

so it could be..

จิ๋วระทวย Jiew is tired?

Again, that is all I can make of it?

I have never heard of it before like this just ทวย as tired.

In The Rai!

Your Thai language is quite good. :D

ระทวย = tired, weak, soft

จิ๋ว = small, tiny (micro)

จิ๋วระทวย = Microsoft

OK, to test your Thai Language proficiency, now come the same set defined by Thai teenagers. Try guessing what these terms are: :D:D #2 is the easiest of all.

1) จุดอิทธิฤทธิ์

2) พหุอุบลจารึก

3) ภัทร

4) ปฐมพิศ

Edited by qualigenz

Here are my guesses:

1) Powerpoint (จุด = point, อิทธิฤทิ์ = power)

2) Lotus Notes (พหุ = plural อุบล = lotus จารึก = note/write)

3) Excel (ภัทร = good/excellent/prosperous)

4) Outlook (ปฐม = first/beginning, พิศ = look

Here are my guesses:

YES! The first three are correct.

The last one "ปฐมพิศ" is actually from visualbasic ( ปฐม = พื้นฐาน หรือ basic , พิศ = การมอง or visual )

But I agree with your that it can be translated to Outlook also.

Do you think the Royal Institute will accept these terms? :o:D I think ปฐมพิศ (Visual Basic or Outlook) and ภัทร (Excel) are quite good.

BTW, your Thai language skill is even better than most Thai. :D:D

So, these terms should also not too hard for you then.

1) สรรค์ใน

2) ยืนเอกา

3) แท่งภาระ

4) ไปรษณีย์ถล่ม

5) บัญชรผลุบโผล่

Here are my guesses:

YES! The first three are correct.

The last one "ปฐมพิศ" is actually from visualbasic ( ปฐม = พื้นฐาน หรือ basic , พิศ = การมอง or visual )

But I agree with your that it can be translated to Outlook also.

Do you think the Royal Institute will accept these terms? :o:D I think ปฐมพิศ (Visual Basic or Outlook) and ภัทร (Excel) are quite good.

BTW, your Thai language skill is even better than most Thai. :D:D

So, these terms should also not too hard for you then.

1) สรรค์ใน

2) ยืนเอกา

3) แท่งภาระ

4) ไปรษณีย์ถล่ม

5) บัญชรผลุบโผล่

1) สรรค์ใน ?

2) ยืนเอกา to stand alone

3) แท่งภาระ a single job to do / a single task

4) ไปรษณีย์ถล่ม post office fell down (mmm not sure)

5) บัญชรผลุบโผล่ ?

Number 1 and 5 wow.

In The Rai!

Ah, VisualBasic... that makes more sense. I was sure about the others, but Outlook was kind of a stab in the dark. And I doubt the Royal Institute will accept those terms because they're proper names, which tend to just get transliterated. Like, Pizza Hut isn't called กระท่อมพิซซ่า in Thailand. :o

Okay, now my guesses for the new ones:

1) สรรค์ใน = interior design

2) ยืนเอกา = standalone

3) แท่งภาระ = taskbar

4) ไปรษณีย์ถล่ม = email worm (?), mail that attacks your computer?

5) บัญชรผลุบโผล่ = minimize/maximize window (?) ... I'm not sure about this, because I think ผลุบโผล่ means to bob up and down..

Okay, เฉลยได้แล้ว

These are quite tough!

Edited by Rikker

Ah, VisualBasic... that makes more sense. I was sure about the others, but Outlook was kind of a stab in the dark. And I doubt the Royal Institute will accept those terms because they're proper names, which tend to just get transliterated. Like, Pizza Hut isn't called กระท่อมพิซซ่า in Thailand. :o

2) ยืนเอกา = standalone

3) แท่งภาระ = taskbar

5) บัญชรผลุบโผล่ = minimize/maximize window (?) ... I'm not sure about this, because I think ผลุบโผล่ means to bob up and down..

Okay, เฉลยได้แล้ว

These are quite tough!

1) สรรค์ใน - สรรค์ = สร้าง (Build) ใน = in สรรค์ใน = Built-in

2) ยืนเอกา = standalone - Correct!

3) แท่งภาระ = taskbar - Correct!

4) ไปรษณีย์ถล่ม - ไปรษณีย์ = mail, ถล่ม = attack (by bomb) - ไปรษณีย์ถล่ม = Mail-bomb

5) บัญชรผลุบโผล่ - บัญชร = window, ผลุบโผล่ = pop-up, บัญชรผลุบโผล่ = pop-up windows (Royal Institute :หน้าต่างแบบผุดขึ้น)

Two out of five, very good. For Thai people I know, none of them can answer a single term of these. :D

And the last one

What do you think the term "ชวด" is translated from (clue: IT related term)

I think this is the best and the Royal Institute should consider to adopt this term.

2) ยืนเอกา = standalone

3) แท่งภาระ = taskbar

Okay, เฉลยได้แล้ว

These are quite tough!

1) สรรค์ใน - สรรค์ = สร้าง (Build) ใน = in สรรค์ใน = Built-in

2) ยืนเอกา = standalone - Correct!

3) แท่งภาระ = taskbar - Correct!

4) ไปรษณีย์ถล่ม - ไปรษณีย์ = mail, ถล่ม = attack (by bomb) - ไปรษณีย์ถล่ม = Mail-bomb

5) บัญชรผลุบโผล่ - บัญชร = window, ผลุบโผล่ = pop-up, บัญชรผลุบโผล่ = pop-up windows (Royal Institute :หน้าต่างแบบผุดขึ้น)

Two out of five, very good. For Thai people I know, none of them can answer a single term of these. :D

And the last one

What do you think the term "ชวด" is translated from (clue: IT related term)

I think this is the best and the Royal Institute should consider to adopt this term.

ชวด means to fail in Thai (I think it is spelt like this) maybe talking about a connection failed.

Just a guess

I dont understand

ไปรษณีย์ = mail correct but I thought ถล่ม = collapse or fall down not (attack by bomb)

ระเบิด = bomb

Shouldnt it be ไปรษณีย์ระเบิด

Just out of curiosity

In The Rai!