The New APPS system and effect on old criminal records

So it has been confirmed the Thai authorities will be implementing this new security system at most airports in the Kingdom.

Australia and New Zealand amongst a few others have this already on board . But they still require you to disclose on the landing card if you have any old convictions .

Will the APPS system have any effect on people travelling with old criminal records? I just come back from LOS with no issue at all with a old crim record(nothing major).

Or is the APPS system only out to catch those on the run or blacklisted to enter?

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge very few countries are concerned about old convictions so long as its not drugs related. I know that technically you have to disclose convictions when travelling to USA / Australia etc but I have on occasions travelled to those countries with someone who has quite serious previous convictions that are a long time ago and he has never disclosed those convictions, he never had any problems in Australia, USA or anywhere else. And we are not talking about traffic offences here, it was many years in prison for fraud.

I think a country would be right to ask questions about convictions in the last 5 or 10 years, but surely everyone has a right to put the past behind them if they have been clean for say 10 years.

Thailand, like many countries around the world, has a don't ask/ don't tell attitude to convictions. The only exceptions with Thailand are applications for O-A Visas (which nobody needs) and applications for citizenship/permanent residence which are thoroughly vetted.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge very few countries are concerned about old convictions so long as its not drugs related. I know that technically you have to disclose convictions when travelling to USA / Australia etc but I have on occasions travelled to those countries with someone who has quite serious previous convictions that are a long time ago and he has never disclosed those convictions, he never had any problems in Australia, USA or anywhere else. And we are not talking about traffic offences here, it was many years in prison for fraud.

I think a country would be right to ask questions about convictions in the last 5 or 10 years, but surely everyone has a right to put the past behind them if they have been clean for say 10 years.

Thailand, like many countries around the world, has a don't ask/ don't tell attitude to convictions. The only exceptions with Thailand are applications for O-A Visas (which nobody needs) and applications for citizenship/permanent residence which are thoroughly vetted.

There are certain other convictions that should be given due regard too I believe.

Even if older than 10 years.

Whether those would be included in any details accessible to immigration officials I do not know.

Canada and the U.S. access each other's criminal databases for travelers going through immigration/arrivals - including land border crossings by automobile. There was even kind of a kerfuffle years ago over George W. Bush's planned state visit and a DUI. 'Not sure this level of checking at the border happens anywhere else. I do NOT think this is the level of checking or nature of this APPS thing in Thailand. The OP makes it pretty clear that's about Thailand's own blacklists & persons on international want lists. (I'm guessing APPS might make it easier to crack down on things like visitors with records of overstay, if not when they cut the ribbon, possibly sometime in the future.)

I feel a storm comming, when immigration is going to ask this yearly... and you try to explain, you have to fly back to get a record of your virgin criminal record, or they cannot provide as you dont live in your home country anymore...

Sorry to disagree, many countries such as the USA, UK, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA and many others applied strict rules, in that if you have had a custodial sentence or even been found guilty or criminial or civil offence at any time in your life, then you must report it when applying for a visa, (you sign also to that effect).

Simple really! It does not automatically preclude you getting a visa, unless of course you have already not disclosed the prior problem in your life.

Best wishes

Edited by Pdavies99
moved reply from quoted text

Americans with only a Drink Driving conviction are barred from Canada. Japanese with known "yakuza" affiliations are on a list, can't fly to USA/Guam. So many guys missing digits, nothing to do with "gardening accidents". The surveillance state is internationalized. Thailand is playing catch up. Bravo, they could do a better job keeping crims and their ilk out.

Edited by arunsakda

Sorry to disagree, many countries such as the USA, UK, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA and many others applied strict rules, in that if you have had a custodial sentence or even been found guilty or criminial or civil offence at any time in your life, then you must report it when applying for a visa, (you sign also to that effect).

Simple really! It does not automatically preclude you getting a visa, unless of course you have already not disclosed the prior problem in your life.

Best wishes

You're correct, but this topic isn't about visas. It's about APPS, which is, per the OP, to be installed at immigration entry points and to be used for screening all arriving passengers, not visa applicants. In Thailand, some visas do require criminal background reports to accompany the application, but that doesn't have anything to do with this discussion of "APPS".

I believe other countries have similar systems. Here in the UK we have APIS(advanced passanger information system) . It's to pre screen unwanted people before they depart so the authorities are ready for them at arrivals ..

So as I said before it's a more secure system to catch crims on the run , hopefully not the ones who have done there time and are leading a better life of happiness.. If that was the case then it will be totally in fair!

Also the uk I believe does not routinely share it's police records with other countries .

I believe other countries have similar systems. Here in the UK we have APIS(advanced passanger information system) . It's to pre screen unwanted people before they depart so the authorities are ready for them at arrivals ..

So as I said before it's a more secure system to catch crims on the run , hopefully not the ones who have done there time and are leading a better life of happiness.. If that was the case then it will be totally in fair!

Also the uk I believe does not routinely share it's police records with other countries .

And I think that last statement is key. I don't think national governments are necessarily inclined to share their databases promiscuously, and do so as a rule only if there's reciprocity involved, and maybe not even then. As you and others have pointed out, the UK (and I suppose other EU countries as well) have privacy concerns that would preclude participation in such unfettered sharing of data on their citizens.

Again, APPS seems to be about pre-screening arriving passengers for being on Thai blacklists and internationally wanted lists ... at least that's the way I interpret the OP. (And maybe about 35B/head...) And maybe it'll also flag an individual trying to travel on a passport that's been reported lost or stolen.

And I think that last statement is key. I don't think national governments are necessarily inclined to share their databases promiscuously, and do so as a rule only if there's reciprocity involved, and maybe not even then. As you and others have pointed out, the UK (and I suppose other EU countries as well) have privacy concerns that would preclude participation in such unfettered sharing of data on their citizens.

Again, APPS seems to be about pre-screening arriving passengers for being on Thai blacklists and internationally wanted lists ... at least that's the way I interpret the OP. (And maybe about 35B/head...) And maybe it'll also flag an individual trying to travel on a passport that's been reported lost or stolen.

Good points. If it were only about the 35bh, its something to help balance the books. We're all in this together. Help each other.

Best wishes

That may be true if you need to apply for a proper visa. however its certainly not true in other cases.

I was not quoting anecdotal stories, I was talking facts. I do not know what country you are from so I do not know if you require a proper visa for USA or Australia. British citizens do not and I assume lots of nationalities do not.

My personal experience with this topic. Flying in to Auckland NZ in 1990, thats right 1990. Dont know what system they used then, but instantly red flag on immigration computer, refused entry. It went so quick that i had hard to understand how they had got info about small drug conviction in US and later deportation many years before. I spendt three days sleeping at the airport, talking to news channels and papers, having visit from ex wife and my five yr old son, getting faxed from Norway very good papers even from police and from my workplace about what a stand up citizen i had been and still was to sosiety since my brush with the law in US years before. A real sob story. The point. Immigration police told me that as soon as i bought the ticket from Singapore Air two months before travel at their office in Norway, the NZ Immigration Police knew i was coming. Anyway the appeal went all the way to Minister for Immigration, refused entry still and deportation, no consideration for small boy. My question, if they could get that kind og info then, what can they not get these days.

My personal experience with this topic. Flying in to Auckland NZ in 1990, thats right 1990. Dont know what system they used then, but instantly red flag on immigration computer, refused entry. It went so quick that i had hard to understand how they had got info about small drug conviction in US and later deportation many years before. I spendt three days sleeping at the airport, talking to news channels and papers, having visit from ex wife and my five yr old son, getting faxed from Norway very good papers even from police and from my workplace about what a stand up citizen i had been and still was to sosiety since my brush with the law in US years before. A real sob story. The point. Immigration police told me that as soon as i bought the ticket from Singapore Air two months before travel at their office in Norway, the NZ Immigration Police knew i was coming. Anyway the appeal went all the way to Minister for Immigration, refused entry still and deportation, no consideration for small boy. My question, if they could get that kind og info then, what can they not get these days.

Did you say you was deported from the US many years before? For a just a small drug conviction?

As I quoted before the UK does not share it's crim records with other countries unless requested for a reason ..

I can't see the APPS checking every tom dick and Harry's records for many many years ago, but just flagging up previously blacklisted people from Thailand or fugitives ..

It was probably the deportation that caused the red flag. That info is shared between countries.

Yes I totally agree with that point . I was getting confused to why the red flag would come up with a small drug conviction .

As they knew you were coming for 2 months it would have been nice if they could have advised you or the airline you would be denied entry. Save a lot of trouble I'd reckon.