Booze ban in Thailand to be arbitrarily enforced during 6-month 'study'

webfact

In the state I lived inUSA we had a problem with underage drinking. Passed a law where every establisment (bar, restaurant, hotels, niteclubs, package store) had to ask for ID of anyone who looked younger than 30 years old. I think drinking age was 20. State sent underage people ( some who looked older) around to every establisment to see if they could purchase liquor. If they were sold any place was closed on the spot for 2 weeks to 30 days. If happened 3 times the place lost thier alcohol liscense for at least a year,

That would stop the selling of alcohol to minors.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a total screw up. Scrap all this bullshit which only feeds corruption and simply enforce the existing laws. They have to be brain dead to think these new mumblings will have the slightest affect on student drinking.

One hears that compulsory brain transplants have been ordered for all senior military officers and government officials. However, it may be some time before the beneficial effects are seen.

... and the previous brains are reported to be sold for a high price in the black market where fresh and unused brains have reached sky-high prices.

I don't know which is worse : some ego-driven idiot from the last lot making some stupid rule then sticking to it come-what-may to save his face (Plodprasop and Chalerm spring immediately to mind) , or this lot changing their mind every 5 minutes when they realise they misjudged something yet again.

Is Thai society incapable of producing people of the required standard ?. It seems all avenues of advancement in this country are based on everything except ability.

"or this lot changing their mind every 5 minutes when they realize they misjudged something yet again"

Nice sugar coating there mate, way to call a spade a spade huh, Just admit it your hero's didn't miss judge anything, they got it wrong on several levels and not once but twice in the space of three days that left the whole country at a loss except for the BIB who collectively jumped for joy at the opportunity, and now a third master stroke in their infinite wisdom, suspend the one law that gives a clear no alcohol with in 300 meters from an education facility to a law quoted "IN THE VICINITY"

and a six month committee to try and clarify the definition of "VICINITY" a fourth cracker of an idea to let the BIB can "use their judgment" on application of the above law that is as clear as mud, The BIB are yet again calling for celebrations to their opportunity, and looking desperately for a watering hole that's not in the vicinity of a school "misjudged" whistling.gif

C'mon EnglishJohn, you can do it big fella, call it what it is without the sugar coating........... How's that constitution thingy coming along???

The word ' vicinity ' has to be officially defined and it will take up to six months to be sorted out, meanwhile security officers will have to exercise their judgement !

What a mess, open to all sorts of abuse but the flip flopping and indecision has become the hallmark of this govt.

Oh sorry, not quite as they are getting good at sorting out bike lanes.

Not this government BUT every Government over decades, look your history on it without resorting to your agenda---anti army stuff. Come on be honest about it---------all the same YEAH over the years YEAH.

I dont praise this lot for much, but clearly this is shear genius. 6 months to do surveys and map out which estsblishments can pay, establish a database and scale of charges based on the clientele (the more farangs psm the better) link this to the amount of skim the bib boys will take each week and you have your steady income mapped out for the future . Fantasticly cunning. Who said they dont understand economics.

The word ' vicinity ' has to be officially defined and it will take up to six months to be sorted out, meanwhile security officers will have to exercise their judgement !

What a mess, open to all sorts of abuse but the flip flopping and indecision has become the hallmark of this govt.

Not this government BUT every Government over decades, look your history on it without resorting to your agenda---anti army stuff. Come on be honest about it---------all the same YEAH over the years YEAH.

My anti army agenda cheesy.gif

Someone with your amount of posts should remember how critical I was of the last govt too.

I don't take sides as blatantly, and blindly, as you. I'm an equal opportunities critic.

selective enforcement based on the “judgment” of law enforcement officers. so the same as all the other laws in Thailand just pay the policeman his judged dues and carry on selling the booze to the kids as normal and this way no one needs to loose face.

All Thai politicians & bureaucrats should remember "to ensure brain is engaged before putting mouth into gear". This is not a peculiarly Thai failing but they do tend to make it into almost an art-form here.

The flip flopping and indecision is one of the hallmarks of all Thai governments. Even ones, it seems, supposedly controlled by one man.

I know I really shouldn't use the phrase "back where I come from" but in this case I can't resist so... back where I come from, arbitrary, random and selective enforcement of laws are a big no no.

In real democracies, vague laws and arbitrary enforcement nullify the laws. In Thailand, vague laws are the norm. Thai officials like vague laws. It can allow them to turn the screws on anyone who doesn't bow to their wishes. It is the very mechanism that allows corruption to continue unabated in Thailand. The justice system is complicit in the corruption, because they don't have the power, nor the chutzpah, to void laws when they run afoul of the Constitution. Instead, they issue conflicting rulings which just add to the chaos surrounding the operation of the Thai government.

Are you aware how long it takes in democracies to get a law declared as vague or law enforcement as arbitrary?

The reaction of the Thai government is certainly faster.

Obviously the government realizes they made a mistake with this silly ban. Unfortunately, for fear of losing face, they can't admit outright they made a stupid law and so they'll go through this charade of a 6-month study.

My guess is that 6-months will come and go and we'll hear no more about it.

What happens when laws are not clear:

In Country X there is a law that says someone is drunk if they cannot touch their nose or appear that they cannot touch their nose.

Cop to possible Drink driver: Mister, please touch your nose.

Possible drink driver: Okay.

Possible drink driver - takes test, touches his nose.

Cop: you are under arrest anyway. You look drunk.

Edited by meltingpot2015

alcohol should be banned in Thailand. at least it will make farang sugar daddies to leave, as everybody knows thy can't survive without booze

Do you think your post is a rational , constuctive and true comment . Is there any point to your tastless usless remark except to show everybody what an idiot you are ?

Anybody have a spare Websters dictionary(Thailand edition) they can use. Its listed under V in English but in Thai well maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe they should get out the tape measures and extend it from 300 metres. There solved the problem in 6 minutes not 6 months. 6 months is lots of time to "influence" the powers that be I guess. Wow looking at that picture with the table full of Leo's and cigarette packages these kids know how to have a good time I wonder if it is all on the parents dime so to speak. Will the bank give you a party loan? Anything is possible.

Arbitrarily Enforced During 6-month 'Study'

in my opinion this is not a mature decision, this will not help student at all to drink less but they should perhaps do it with the police department first....to see what happened....they will be surprise to realise how much they drink and they can drink!....just make a dayly alcool test to all of them every day....you'll see...you'll see!

coffee1.gif

alcohol should be banned in Thailand. at least it will make farang sugar daddies to leave, as everybody knows thy can't survive without booze

I will put up my hand on this one. Yes I can. Yes I do have a sugar baby. Have had for 4 years now. Can you send me a free bible?clap2.gifwub.pngbiggrin.pngsmile.png

I'd love Spitting Image to come back and look at Thailand. They'd get enough material for a whole series!

How about a series called "Sugar Daddies and Their Sugar Babies" The series could also be used by TAT then watch the tourist numbers REALLY climb. We are after all "quality tourists" according to our pension requirements anyways. Nice to be a quality something at my advanced age. Sorry my sugar baby is calling have to go. I wonder what she wants?

But isn't the current government supposed to be better than the previous rascals? Isn't that the very reason you actually support the coup makers?

Isn't Gen P the saviour that finally straightens Thailand out??

YEAH or NO???

while leaving it on the books as vaguely written for selective enforcement based on the “judgment” of law enforcement officers

Oh i get it now.

`Judgement` meaning if the bright-spark-in-brown can see an opportunity to earn a few baht, go ahead, make your judgement `law enforcement officer`.