Shoe Repair in CM?

JXXXL

They don't have shoe repair shops like in the West. The best is the guy at Chang Phueak inside the moat, not on the outside. He looks sketchy but is the best I've found. He is very popular with the Thais. If he's not there when you go, just wait about 15 minutes for him. He has another business renting bicycles and goes back and forth between the two. Pick-up next day usually.

I had a nice pair of Italian shoes (about 150 Euros) and took them to the guy at Ruam Choke Market to re-sole about 6 years ago. When I got them back they were a few cm shorter than when I took them in. My heel hung off the back. I could never wear them again. I showed them to the guy at Chang Phueak and he said that they don't stock soles size 45 anywhere in C.M. and he would have told me so and given them back. The other guy took the money and put 42's on and ruined the shoes as he took off some of the leather to make the soles fit. What an idiot.

Cobbler at KSK, basement level near car entrance. Also at least one along Sri Mankalarjan Rd, not far from McD's new restaurant. And one who will make a shoe near the Hilltribe outlet shop near Wat Suan Dok. All more recently used, or seen, than 6 yrs ago

Would say to OP, asking where is a cobbler, and suggesting that we might know if he would suit your special needs, seems excessive. All the work done for me, at many small shoe repair shops in Asia has been acceptable to me. Often more imaginative than in the western world.

There are two guys on the pavement in front of McCormick Hospital.

Sorry I had a bit of a pre-giggle (If there is such a thing) I thought this was a beginning of a joke....

Now who can complete the ending?

..... they had tyre marks across their trousers. When asked if they were ok they said yes, just feeling a bit run down.

Ok Ill grab my coat.

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2015 at 8:13 AM, chingmai331 said:

Cobbler at KSK, basement level near car entrance. Also at least one along Sri Mankalarjan Rd, not far from McD's new restaurant. And one who will make a shoe near the Hilltribe outlet shop near Wat Suan Dok. All more recently used, or seen, than 6 yrs ago

Would say to OP, asking where is a cobbler, and suggesting that we might know if he would suit your special needs, seems excessive. All the work done for me, at many small shoe repair shops in Asia has been acceptable to me. Often more imaginative than in the western world.

Don't go to the one at Kad Suan Kaew.

He is very unprofessional, he did a lousy job on my shoes which lasted only a few months. 

He didn't have the material but didn't tell me in the first place and just stuck something that didn't last.

When I wanted a refund, he growled at me loudly and showed his bad temper.

4 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Didn't that place shut over a year ago?

No. He's still there. Most of the time, he watches TV.

Can anyone recommend a civilised and friendly shoe cobbler who can do a proper job in CM?

There are two shoe repair shops almost adjacent to one another on Changpuak Road across from  Rajabhat University. Both are equally good and inexpensive. Have used both for several years. Cheers

Just now, siamod said:

I've been to the shoe repair shop on Chang Phueak rd., the one next to the entrance of Iyarea Hotel, about one year ago. He did a good job, glue a shoe sole. Lasts till now.

Is this shop the same as what Ataloss said earlier? Near Rajabhat univ?

It should be the one Ataloss mentioned before. I just had a look at Google street view. If you stay in front of the small entrance road to Iyara Hotel, it is the second shop from the corner (direction north/Mae Rim). The fourth shop is the other shoe repair shop. Easy to spot as they have a yellow sign with red writings and, of course, shoes in front of the shop.

https://www.google.de/maps/@18.8063451,98.9851638,3a,75y,304.21h,81.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soINLHNIaUOlNhuctLm-BOA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Archived