Low season is really low

madox66

This morning 11 a.m. Jomtien beach is empty. Where is the big increase of tourists arrivals announced by TAT ?

They are still cutting down hundred year old trees on Dongtan beach...is there a reason for such an ecological disaster ? This has been going on for several weeks mostly on wednesday (when the beach is "closed") and nobody seems or dare to complain.

post-12180-0-39937100-1438755440_thumb.j

post-12180-0-14095600-1438755465_thumb.j

post-12180-0-84173000-1438755486_thumb.j

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the Chinese haven' t yet made their way to Jomtien?

They can easily fill the beaches.

In Pattaya more than enough.

Travelling to Pattaya yesterday with Bell Bus from Suv.

About 80% Chinese on the bus.

That was new to me.

yes today seemed quite unusual. I rode my bicycle all the way down Jomtien Beach Road and it was really quiet even in the afternoon.

And then it was just the same along Dongtan Beach walkway- totally deserted even though it was a lovely afternoon with a nice warm breeze.

And then as I returned home I rode along Pattaya Beach walkway and it was the same there. Usually on a Wednesday when the deck chairs are not out there are big groups of Thai's sitting under the shade of the trees but today there were very few.

The new arrival of package bus-tours of Chinese zooming around Pattaya (similar to white electrons zooming around a nucleus of an atom) is a great discovery for the Pattaya Periodic Table. Love the physical characterisitic of loudness (even when the atoms are standing less than 1 meter apart); and the solidarity of cohesiveness (even when approaching obstacles such as utility poles, walking individuals, or a Beach Rd crossin, The chattering nucleus containing a moving triangular flag seems to indicate a radiant glow to stay away from.

Isn't it Wednesday .... beach is closed ....

Beach is closed? What nonsense. Wednesday means no deckchair vendors. It doesn't mean that the beach is closed. What are you thinking?

Well on most Wednesdays is the beach filled with people sitting in the sand unprotected from the sun? For at least some/many people, the absence of chairs and umbrellas is pretty much the same thing as the beach being closed. Can't imagine that many people with or without their own cars would lug along chairs or umbrellas if they could go on days when they were readily available. I wouldn't, but to be fair I don't go that often even when they are available.

More generally in Pattaya there still seem to be a fair number of people about. I recall a decade or more ago during the low season Pattaya was truly a ghost town.

It's amazing to have experienced this year the visible shift in passenger nationality to Chinese on the BKK-Pattaya bus service. More and more young Chinese (and Koreans) are filling the seats. Seems like hardly any Thais these days and not many Euro/NorthAm types. I do this run a lot and am having to wait longer and longer to get a departure time because of the growing Chinese herds. This past Monday I waited an hour and a half to get a bus to BKK on Monday afternoon (holiday rush over already) and well over an hour for the return Tuesday. I'm used to 10-20 minute intervals, at least it was last year and early part of this year.

yes today seemed quite unusual. I rode my bicycle all the way down Jomtien Beach Road and it was really quiet even in the afternoon.

And then it was just the same along Dongtan Beach walkway- totally deserted even though it was a lovely afternoon with a nice warm breeze.

And then as I returned home I rode along Pattaya Beach walkway and it was the same there. Usually on a Wednesday when the deck chairs are not out there are big groups of Thai's sitting under the shade of the trees but today there were very few.

Someone else is not eating their TAT porridge. Tourism is up 40% and climbing.

I think that ending last month with a FOUR DAY NATIONAL HOLIDAY pretty much scuppered any mid-week Thai infestations.

And if you think that the Chinese are insignificant in numbers, start counting their bloody tour buses. You can start before 8 AM at the latex place on Sukhumvit just south of Pattaya Tai, all day at the various crocodile/monkey/elephant/dolphin places in the area and wrap it up on Second Road at the ladyboy shows, buffet dining halls or sex show places north end of Second and Third.

Someone else is not eating their TAT porridge. Tourism is up 40% and climbing.

If you believe the rubbish TAT put out you must believe in the Tooth Fairy.whistling.gif

Chinese tourists v westerners..just like oil and water. One will separate out the other ,and in this case its the westerner

Thankfully at this time they are guided,herded to wherever their 3 day stop over takes them,so can be avoided,except Naklua road,Christ those tour buses have noses squashed against the windows of the buses goggling

It's amazing to have experienced this year the visible shift in passenger nationality to Chinese on the BKK-Pattaya bus service. More and more young Chinese (and Koreans) are filling the seats. Seems like hardly any Thais these days and not many Euro/NorthAm types. I do this run a lot and am having to wait longer and longer to get a departure time because of the growing Chinese herds. This past Monday I waited an hour and a half to get a bus to BKK on Monday afternoon (holiday rush over already) and well over an hour for the return Tuesday. I'm used to 10-20 minute intervals, at least it was last year and early part of this year.

Thats right they are overloading the Pattaya - Bangkok line. What is the main attraction for these Chinese and Koreans ?

The girls are nice but all I see "these" males doing all day is walking around smoking cigarettes And forget that bus on Mondays

A sad fact of a developing country I'm afraid.

They won't listen to you / us / look at a developed country to research how things are done.

Not that developed countries get it right every time.

Thanks for posting and caring about the trees we all need.

Nice picture of the black sludge city run off thats filtering into the swimming area though....... .

Sludge blink.png ?? Well,with a bit of ingenuity they can always promote it as a school of fish ........................

Nice picture of the black sludge city run off thats filtering into the swimming area though....... .

These are actually fingerlings or immature fish which swarm like that naturally. More a sign of health of the water there and the opposite

After experiencing eating out last night I am genuinely concerned about the future of this place.

I went to " Or ah harn Thai " restaurant in second road which is just in front of centre condo which I’m sure many of you will know.

This has been one of my favourite restaurants for Thai seafood dishes for many years (see the restaurant review below which I fully agree with). They have a ground floor and upstairs seating and I can remember more than once not being able to find seating because it was so popular.

When there was room it was still not unusual to wait 30+ minutes to get your food but no one complained because it was worth waiting fortongue.png . The cooks quite often were so busy they didn’t have time to scratch themselves! Last night was also a Friday when they used to generate even extra customers from the Tuesday and Friday market also near centre condo.

But last night I walked in and the waitress and the Cook were sitting at the far table at the end of the restaurant. one cook was reading the newspaper and the waitress was on her mobile telephone.ohmy.png There was just me and one other customer on a different table and no customers upstairs. I know its low season but I’ve never ever seen it like that beforesad.png the other staff that looked after the upstairs section kept wandering up and down obviously bored out of their minds.

http://www.asianfoodtrail.com/2012/10/04/or-ah-harn-thai-restaurant/

When your up high enough and looking down on Jothien Beach right after a bit of rain you can see the pipes and the black sludge burbbling out of them....there is one broken pipe closer to shore and at times its like a fountain.

After experiencing eating out last night I am genuinely concerned about the future of this place.

I went to " Or ah harn Thai " restaurant in second road which is just in front of centre condo which I’m sure many of you will know.

This has been one of my favourite restaurants for Thai seafood dishes for many years (see the restaurant review below which I fully agree with). They have a ground floor and upstairs seating and I can remember more than once not being able to find seating because it was so popular.

When there was room it was still not unusual to wait 30+ minutes to get your food but no one complained because it was worth waiting fortongue.png . The cooks quite often were so busy they didn’t have time to scratch themselves! Last night was also a Friday when they used to generate even extra customers from the Tuesday and Friday market also near centre condo.

But last night I walked in and the waitress and the Cook were sitting at the far table at the end of the restaurant. one cook was reading the newspaper and the waitress was on her mobile telephone.ohmy.png There was just me and one other customer on a different table and no customers upstairs. I know its low season but I’ve never ever seen it like that beforesad.png the other staff that looked after the upstairs section kept wandering up and down obviously bored out of their minds.

That is odd.

What time was that?

When your up high enough and looking down on Jothien Beach right after a bit of rain you can see the pipes and the black sludge burbbling out of them....there is one broken pipe closer to shore and at times its like a fountain.

post-2109-0-27425300-1439022192_thumb.jp

I guess you mean South Pattaya Rd, not 2nd Rd, right? I will give this place a try myself.

That is odd.

What time was that?

yes I knowsad.png . It was about 7:30 PM. It just seems so weird for that place which I've always seen in the past as a hive of activity. Even in past low seasons is it was never as quiet as it was last night even if it was just a few people from centre condo

I guess you mean South Pattaya Rd, not 2nd Rd, right? I will give this place a try myself.

yes sorry my mistake! You have to try it and if you like seafood dishes you will not be disappointed

These are actually fingerlings or immature fish which swarm like that naturally. More a sign of health of the water there and the opposite

Nice Try

Is that their "mother" in johngs' photo ???

Archived