help for mentally handicapped lady

fvw53

A sister of my Thai wife has been married for 25 years with a husband subjecting her to mental cruelty and providing her the very minimum of money to take care of herself and a severely mentally handicapped daughter which is now 22 years old.

Last year she went to see a lawyer who told her that according to Thai Law there would not be enough evidence to obtain divorce with a monthly alimony imposed by a court (her husband owns several houses worth in total at least 5 million Baht).

A week ago she was at the end of her tether and she went to city hall with her husband to declare and sign divorce papers and she went to live with her 82 year old mother.

Her husband told her he would take care of the 22 year old daughter because he said that he knew the mother had no money and no income (why this has all been done without a lawyer? Only people knowing Thailand will understand)

However a few days ago the husband came to the house where his former wife now lives with the old mother and dropped the 22 year old handicapped lady and left without any promise of financial support.

At city hall they told her that in Thai Law there is no stipulation for child support from the moment the child becomes adult...but this young woman is so severely retarded that she does not know who she is, she cannot speak, she cannot eat without being forced, etc...It means she requires non stop assistance from a caring person and in this case this can only be her mother.

Can somebody provide advise on how to force to cruel husband to pay at least for the care of the daughter? (does Thailand have NGO to assist women facing a trouble as the sister of my wife does?)

Sounds like a 82 year old woman isn't capable of caring for 2 so mentally ill but hey relief for the husband/father and 1 can push for money but sadly the ball is in his court I just hope there is someone who can take good care of these ladies.

Is not Thai law to split 50/50 whatever is gained during marriage ?

All what I know is that the real estate he owns is registered in his name only.

But if it was purchased during marriage, which is not hard to check, then she would be entitled to half of it

Is not Thai law to split 50/50 whatever is gained during marriage ?

All what I know is that the real estate he owns is registered in his name only.

But if it was purchased during marriage, which is not hard to check, then she would be entitled to half of it

Thanks for your valuable input.